The MT-07 Forum

Turning the FZ07 on the kickstand?

motomeek

• Premium Member

Just curious if anyone has been successful in doing this. I remember trying to do it the first week I got the bike and couldn't get it to go... then trying again... 

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a video demonstration. 
[video src=https://youtu.be/f6RLmlGRPn8]

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

JUST the other day I went to attempt this in the garage w/o really ever watching a how-to video. Great timing friend.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

When it's time to clean and lube the chains hubs and I balance the bikes on the stand and the front wheel. I hold it there while he spins the rear wheel and lubes. I'm pretty nervous while it's happening. I've never spun it around like that - seems like it could come in handy in certain situations.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Global Moderator
When it's time to clean and lube the chains hubs and I balance the bikes on the stand and the front wheel. I hold it there while he spins the rear wheel and lubes. I'm pretty nervous while it's happening. I've never spun it around like that - seems like it could come in handy in certain situations.
You should get a rear stand. It makes lubing the chain easy, and a one person job. I got a pretty good one at Harbor Freight for $30. 

Do it all the time. I do it differently then the video but have the same result. Takes a bit of practice to find the balance point but very doable. Very useful if parked on an incline. You dont have to push your bike uphill you just flip a 180 and ride it up. Make sure you're stand isn't on soft asphalt.

Guest Ralph

Just remember the stand was not intended for this, the 07 is light so you may not have any problems
but I have seen cracked bent and one broken stands, on other bikes.

I turn my 07 on the kick stand quite regularly. Someone mentioned that it may affect the structural rigidity of the stand, and I completely agree. This is why you should always check your stand for issues before each ride or at least once a month.

I trained my gf how to do it, she's pretty good at it. Soon she will be doing my oil and air filter changes as well. I think I'll keep her. 

Beemer

• Premium Member
I turn my 07 on the kick stand quite regularly. Someone mentioned that it may affect the structural rigidity of the stand, and I completely agree. This is why you should always check your stand for issues before each ride or at least once a month.
Good to know that it can be done, but I totally agree that the 07 stand doesn't seem the sturdiest.  

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I know how to do these turns, yet i never do them because it's not hard to setup the bike to avoid needing these turns haha.

I've never had the need to do this but I've seen many people do it, especially short people. The side stand on the FZ isn't the thinnest but there's still the posibility of torquing the mounting point or the stand itself.

I used to pull my klr over on the sidestand to give the chain a quick spray. Looked the 07 over and nothing appeared sturdy for the right hand so I abandoned the idea.

The 07 appears to have a pretty sturdy stand compared to some bikes I've had.

Archived