The MT-07 Forum

Too much engine braking!

Definitely looking forward to hearing your thoughts @tvp once you've spent some time with it :) 
Have you tracked your FZ yet? Or plan to?

:)

- Paulie
No plans to take it to the track. It was purchased for pleasure riding on the street, and I would like to keep it shiny and newish. Although... it would be darn interesting to see how far/hard I could push it, just once.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Waiting to hear reviews, slipper clutches are awesome, had it on my zx6r ninja. They will spoil you, not much rev matching is necessary. Only thing i liked about the kawasaki, let me know price and performance

Guest 2wheeler

I was just reading through the new posts in this thread and I saw the phrase "rev match". Before buying my FZ, I never heard of rev matching. After reading about it on here, not only did I learn how to do it but it became a second nature thing when I ride the FZ.,

Where I am going with this is that shortly after I got my 2WDW flash I stopped doing it. I just realized that there was no need. It has been long enough now that I hadn't even thought about it until I read these new posts.

I so don't miss the engine breaking on the stock FZ!!!

Twins are different from fours and require rev matching. This one is not that violent imo compared to my friends Ducati 1100. Learn how to use it instead of change it

Twins are different from fours and require rev matching. This one is not that violent imo compared to my friends Ducati 1100. Learn how to use it instead of change it
Agreed. 
I know its a personal preference for some, but especially for the guys that just want to street their FZ-07 you should learn to use the engine braking to your advantage.

In street traffic and coming to stops and stoplights, you can really use the revmatching/engine braking to your advantage (dont need to grab much brake). For you street only dudes that means your front pads could last a looooong time  :P

Agreed. 
I know its a personal preference for some, but especially for the guys that just want to street their FZ-07 you should learn to use the engine braking to your advantage.

In street traffic and coming to stops and stoplights, you can really use the revmatching/engine braking to your advantage (dont need to grab much brake). For you street only dudes that means your front pads could last a looooong time  :P

On the flip side, when engine breaking, vehicles behind you are not as aware that you are slowing down.

Agreed. 

On the flip side, when engine breaking, vehicles behind you are not as aware that you are slowing down.
thats true if you dont grab ANY brake. but i still use the brakes, but the engine assist makes a big difference in how much you need to grab.

The engine braking on this bike is nothing special it's no
different to any other twin, and you dont have to close
the throttle all the way, you can controll it with the throttle,
it should be automatic I can say with absolute honesty I never
notice it and swap bikes without noticing. If anything I would
expect a near 700 high compression twin to have quit a bit more.

• 2 months later...
Rev matching is your friend. There is nothing wrong with the FZ07's engine braking, it's operator error. 
I'm going to disagree. I've owned many different bikes from Japanese cruisers, to Harleys, to my BMW S1000RR and I can tell you the engine braking on the FZ07 is the most pronounced of any bike I have ever ridden.  The engine braking is most annoying when you roll off throttle and don't need to down shift. The bike starts slowing down really quickly as soon as the throttle is closed due to engine braking.  An ECU reflash or piggy back can fix this issue. It doesn't have anything to do with operator error.  The only time engine braking would be operator error would be if the rider was in lets say 4th gear and then went down to 3rd without rev matching and just let out the clutch.  If that were the case and the person was complaining you could say it was operator error, but I don't think this what the OP was talking about/describing. 

Guest 2wheeler
Rev matching is your friend. There is nothing wrong with the FZ07's engine braking, it's operator error. 
I'm going to disagree. I've owned many different bikes from Japanese cruisers, to Harleys, to my BMW S1000RR and I can tell you the engine braking on the FZ07 is the most pronounced of any bike I have ever ridden.  The engine braking is most annoying when you roll off throttle and don't need to down shift. The bike starts slowing down really quickly as soon as the throttle is closed due to engine braking.  An ECU reflash or piggy back can fix this issue. It doesn't have anything to do with operator error.  The only time engine braking would be operator error would be if the rider was in lets say 4th gear and then went down to 3rd without rev matching and just let out the clutch.  If that were the case and the person was complaining you could say it was operator error, but I don't think this what the OP was talking about/describing.
I've put over 5000 miles on my FZ with about 3K without a flash, and 2K with. I had completely talked myself into the idea that I liked the engine braking, and how cool it was in traffic, and how rev matching is not a big deal. It occured to me after about a 1000 miles with the flash that I don't rev match anymore as in NO need to. Plus, the BS I was telling myself about how advantageous it was in traffic proved to be a joke. Yeah, I use the brakes a bit more, but that's not a bad thing as it teaches me better control of my bike as well as lets the people behind me know that I am slowing down (better way to put it would be that I am even on the road). Lastly, I rode a non-flashed FZ-07 after I got my flash. All I can say is "screw that stupid engine braking".... it's dangerous, and there is no reason for it other than to appease the EPA - Get a Flash! 

I get what you're saying. Even if you don't need to down shift the engine braking is still strong and all I can say to that is because my EJK gives it more gas I have a lot less engine braking. A good flash tune will do the same thing. GL! (Have you done anything to correct it yet?)

Beemer

I've owned 4 twins - 2 BMWs, my now 14+ year old Aprilia and the FZ. I didn't understand true engine braking until my 1st ride on the FZ. On my 1st ride home from the dealer, sliding into the tank after slamming the throttle shut in 2nd and 3rd gear was a bit of a shocker. It was amusing at 1st, then just a bit annoying. I've compensated for it now (a stickier seat material helps), but I could live w/o.

My Futura's big, high compression twin has a fair amount of engine braking, but pales in comparison to the FZ's. When you factor in the lack of a slipper clutch (that the Aprilia has), the lower gearing, and maybe 5x bigger engine braking, I am always recalibrating my brain when I switch back and forth. Matching revs on the FZ (and yeah, kinda also have to do it on the Futura) is far and away more difficult and way less forgiving when I don't get it right.

I'm happy enough with the power, but will likely have that fuel cut-off removed some day. Gonna get the suspension sorted 1st.

Archived