The MT-07 Forum

Too much engine braking!

I recently had the ECU reflashed by the forum vendor. It was a good improvement, but did not relieve the heavy engine braking I experience while downshifting. Even a carefull racers clutch release did not solve the problem. A slipper clutch is in order for maximum performance. A race shop in Orange, CA has ordered up a first run of slipper clutches from YoYoDyne this week. 20 clutches are on order. If you are interested in pre ordering contact AP MotoArts @ CycleMall 714-258-7501. Be prepared for a 1k quote. I already got mine. Andy Palmer is a race shop and produces nothing but the best.

after riding the bike for a year now i get used to the engine braking, i kind of like it.

Guest Ralph

Never even noticed any problem, maybe it's due to you coming from a bike that
had little engine braking the 07 is fine, the clutch bites a little on the sharp side
maybe it's that.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I always blip the throttle on down shift and feather the clutch when necessary. I guess it's just something I've always done and so I was used to it for the FZ07. I do agree that it's much more pronounced than on any other bike I've ever owned.

• 5 months later...
AlbatrossCafe
I recently had the ECU reflashed by the forum vendor. It was a good improvement, but did not relieve the heavy engine braking I experience while downshifting. Even a carefull racers clutch release did not solve the problem. A slipper clutch is in order for maximum performance. A race shop in Orange, CA has ordered up a first run of slipper clutches from YoYoDyne this week. 20 clutches are on order. If you are interested in pre ordering contact AP MotoArts @ CycleMall 714-258-7501. Be prepared for a 1k quote. I already got mine. Andy Palmer is a race shop and produces nothing but the best.
Did you ever have any success with this? 

Guest 2wheeler

My street bikes were older in-line 4 cylinders with very little engine braking, so it was amazingly easy to run up on a car in traffic. When I first got the FZ, that damn engine braking was unnerving at the minimum to borderline scary. I have about 1200 miles on the bike now (not a lot, but enough), and I'm starting to really like it in the DC traffic. Very handy once you get use to it, and learn how to utilize it.

Somebody in this local club I'm starting to ride with brought out a good point though. They mentioned on how you can get yourself in trouble by not using the rear brake enough, especially when you are riding with other bikes. Both riders and cars don't necessarily know you are slowing down without the brake light - good point.

• Global Moderator

I find that I am often tapping the rear brake as I slow using engine braking so my brake light comes on. It becomes second nature after a while and I find myself doing it even when nobody is behind me.

If you are just banging it down a gear without any attempt at getting the revs
to match the lower gear then it's no wonder you are having problems, that is
not the way to do it and cant be good for long engine/gearbox life,

Rev matching is your friend. There is nothing wrong with the FZ07's engine braking, it's operator error. 

• Premium Member

Pre ECU reflsh ...the engine braking was on par with a semi truck ...after ECU flash engine braking is not even noticed...its a world of difference...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

After an ECU flash and correct rev matching it can't be that bad. It seems you must be either dumping the clutch at high rpm without rev matching or not rev matching correctly at high rpm to cause that. It has to be one or the other.

Beemer

I find that I am often tapping the rear brake as I slow using engine braking so my brake light comes on. It becomes second nature after a while and I find myself doing it even when nobody is behind me.
Right on! I do the same thing between downshifts. The first thing I do when slowing down is I always tap my front brake quickly a couple times and then stay on it for a second to alert them I'm slowing before I downshift and I tap the front brake between each shift until I'm stopped. Not that I'm applying much pressure on the front brake when I tap it, I'm not, it's just enough to make the light come on. It's a personal choice but I don't like using my rear brake for that until I get it adjusted to where it doesn't lock up so easily.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Right on! I do the same thing between downshifts. The first thing I do when slowing down is I always tap my front brake quickly a couple times and then stay on it for a second to alert them I'm slowing before I downshift and I tap the front brake between each shift until I'm stopped. Not that I'm applying much pressure on the front brake when I tap it, I'm not, it's just enough to make the light come on. It's a personal choice but I don't like using my rear brake for that until I get it adjusted to where it doesn't lock up so easily.
Yea, I'm paranoid that way, and I usually use my front brake a little when engine braking too.  I think some of the reason the rear brake locks up easy is the short wheel base and weight distribution on the FZ-07, so adjusting the brake might help, but might not remove the problem.  I usually go to the rear brake exclusively once I'm slowed down to a few mph.  I use the rear a lot at slow speeds (think parking lot drills). 

Why can't left turners see us?

Still too much engine braking for me, even after the re-flash. Never had an issue with engine braking on my 00 or 07 SV650.

It's one of the few things I don't like about the 07.

I always blip the throttle on down shift and feather the clutch when necessary. I guess it's just something I've always done and so I was used to it for the FZ07. I do agree that it's much more pronounced than on any other bike I've ever owned.

I am a new rider and have been working on rev matching/blipping the throttle. But still have some trouble. I suppose I just need to continue to practice. Any tips?

• Premium Member
I am a new rider and have been working on rev matching/blipping the throttle. But still have some trouble. I suppose I just need to continue to practice. Any tips?
Blip throttle, shift, blip throttle. how big the blips should be takes practice.

YEA!!!!

Finally had the slipper clutch installed by AP MotoArts. I had them install fork cartridges and a better shock too.

Sadly, I have not ridden it yet. I will post a review as soon as I get enough time to take it out for the whole day.

So will the slipper clutch slip every time you close the throttle?
is it adjustable? don't want one but interested in what it's supposed
to do on a bike like the MT I get why it works on some race bikes,
I suppose set light enough it will just be like a free wheel be interesting
how you get on with it.

I am looking forward to trying it on a parallel twin. I already have a slipper clutch on my R6 track bike, and have had almost all the engine braking dialed out with an ECU flash. You are correct, under those circumstances the bike nearly free wheels into the corner, which I prefer. To the best of my tiny knowledge, a slipper clutch works by vacuum, keeping the clutch plates slightly apart. It does not have anything to do with the throttle other than engine speed. You could say it's a lazy way to get around rev match, but in my opinion rev matching is slow and bothersome.
On the FZ-07, engine braking cannot be eliminated electronically, so it will be up to the slipper to do all the work.

• Premium Member

I don't mind the engine braking on these, but I can see how some wouldn't. It will be interesting to see what you find out on that setup.

• Premium Member

Definitely looking forward to hearing your thoughts @tvp once you've spent some time with it :)

Have you tracked your FZ yet? Or plan to?

:)

- Paulie

Archived