The MT-07 Forum

SENA SMH10R Review

Guest unknown

Guest unknown

Just picked up a SENA SMH10R for my new helmet.
SENA SMH10R
I paid $165 at my local dealer for it. They price matched Revzilla for it which is unusual for a dealer to do, so I was happy to give them my business. The call quality is great! Everyone I've talked to says it sounds better than the hands free setup in my car. The audio quality does lack some bass and definition but I knew that going into it. It's easy to operate at speed but it does take a little memorization as to what button to press and how long to hold it for specific functions. Overall, I would highly recommend this product.

• Global Moderator

Cool. What helmet do you have? How long can you go with the battery? Recharging?

I'm still old school with a home brew hacked wired headphone setup. Can't pick up the phone, but I've got tunes.
I have a BT remote attached to my mirror so I can operate the iPhone.

Guest unknown

I'm running it in a SHOEI Qwest that I just purchased. They claim 9 hours of battery life I think but I haven't had to charge it yet. It's can be quickly dismantled too for track days which is a plus.

TwistedTorque

I've had the SMH10R for about 6 months now on my HJC RPS-10. Everyone of my buddies has it. The length of battery completely varies for me. I've had it last 4 hours and I've had it last 8. Just depends I guess on signal distance and what you are using it for. Overall I can't say anything but good things about it.

Btw the best part is getting more than 4 riders into a group. We had 8 riders in one group, it was hilarious.

Dafobra explains it a bit here:

The newest version is pretty neat, the SMH20. I just wouldn't spend that kind of money for it yet.

• Premium Member

Ever since I got my 20s, I've been recommending Sena's to every rider. I do have some issues with it, but its expected as it just came out. These things are amazing with what you can do with them.

Cool. What helmet do you have? How long can you go with the battery? Recharging? 
I'm still old school with a home brew hacked wired headphone setup. Can't pick up the phone, but I've got tunes.
I have a BT remote attached to my mirror so I can operate the iPhone.
Guru, I might have a solution for your phone. There is a watch called Pebble that allows you to control your iPhone using BT. You can use it to answer phone calls as well as controlling your music. Other nice thing is that you can download apps. I have one and I use it with my bicycle. Monitors my distance, total biking time, average speed, altitude and plots my route. I don't yet have a motorcycle to use it with, but I'm sure there are some apps that would good. The website is getpebble.com.

i chose the 10R because of how small and unnoticeable it is. I feel like the regular smh10 is just too big.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This sounds great! Looking into SENA now.............

Illegitimi non carborundum

I've never had more than just me and my buddy connected but a few more of my friends just bought the 10R. When you link more than 2 headsets does everyone still get to talk freely? Or do you have to choose which rider to talk to by pressing the buttons?

TwistedTorque
I've never had more than just me and my buddy connected but a few more of my friends just bought the 10R. When you link more than 2 headsets does everyone still get to talk freely? Or do you have to choose which rider to talk to by pressing the buttons?
A single person can have 3 people connect to him (Last-Come, First-Served... meaning last person in is your single tap, second to last double tap, third to last triple tap). So you can have a maximum of 4 people connected all into rider A. Everyone pairs with A and then they all tap in to A. Everyone talks freely once they all jump in.

If you want more than 4 riders, you need to create groups and then have the group leaders jump into the main person. Everyone else then jumps in after. Not super reliable since it's not "supported" but it can be done.

But to answer your question, once you are all in the group, there is no button pressing. Sena is always open-mic.

Note that with the SMH-20 this became a whole lot easier since their is a mobile app to go with it and store pairings. But... it's too pricey for me right now :(

Archived