Sign in to follow this  
twistyroad

Oil leak after changing oil

twistyroad
Hi there,
Hopefully someone with a little more experience than myself can give me a little advice on how to proceed. Before going away for 10 days I changed the oil in my fz to rotella t6, first time I have used this oil and now it seems I have a small oil leak in the area of the final drive. I only noticed the leak because a couple drops ended up on my garage floor. Will changing to a thicker oil or switching back to yamalube resolve this issue?

fz07fanboy
Your oil leak more than likely has nothing to do with the type or brand of oil. Could it be possible you didn't clean the area well and got some residual oil that fell on the floor? I would recommend cleaning thoroughly and then run the bike down the road and place some newspaper under it and see what happens.
  • Like 2

rick
Yep, no way your oil change or any oil change will cause a seal to start leaking immediately. Likely some spilled oil or fling off from the chain if you are using oil ( I use a brew of gear oil and white Li grease @ 3:1) for the chain instead of gooey chain lube.

Stick with full synthetics. If the clutch does not slip with the T6 it should be fine.

bmwpowere36m3
It's possible the output shaft seal is leaking... but I'd put more money on excess lubricant from chain collecting on sprocket cover and dripping down.

Beemer
The last time I changed oil I didn't put my oil cap on tight enough and found drips under the bike and oil on different parts, below and behind because the wind blew it all around.

Beemer

Guest GringoStarr
thinking out loud...What could cause it to fail prematurely, overtightening the chain?

rick
thinking out loud...What could cause it to fail prematurely, overtightening the chain?
Making the chain too tight will do damage over time for sure. But the output bearing carries that load and would fail 1st - And oh, that would be noisy!

bmwpowere36m3
or a bad seal to begin and/or grit lodged in seal's lip…  start by taking off the sprocket cover and having a look.  Clean the area well and see if the leak returns.

• Like 1

twistyroad
Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely clean it off thoroughly and then take it for a spin. Chain was absolutely filthy so I soaked it down recently and may not have wiped off all the lube. I'll update after I try it out, could be a few days because I'm away for work.

Guest Ralph
More likely off the chain if you have given it a good oiling.