The MT-07 Forum

whats the best way to clean your shield

NICKY NEON

Don't worry… it probably will.  I was super careful with my iridium shield and one day my helmet fell off my seat and scratched the lens, damn it!  I've had it for about 2-3 years now and its still in decent shape.  It definitely has some light scratches (probably from road debris hitting the shield and washing/mf towel), but nothing I can really see when I'm wearing it. 
However I've found if you leave bug guts on it for too long is discolors the shield, like little spots.  But I don't have the patience/will to wash it after every ride.
You Bastard! You jinxed me!! Here I'm worried about micro scratches and I managed to put a 3/4" doozy in it.  It goes from top down just left of my left eye.  It was made while carrying it as it was lowered somewhere, but I don't remember it happening.  I filled it in with a black Sharpie.  Doubt it can be buffed out.  When I saw it, I puked.  >:D
Meguiar's Plastic-X is made to take scratches out of plastic. It has 'micro' abrasives, it doesn't leave scratches like some people think. It will take a lot of rubbing but it should take out that scratch. A buffer may speed things up.  
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g12310-plastx-clear-plastic-cleaner-polish/

Beemer

Getting someone to do it for you is the best way.  8-) but .... soap & water, microfiber towel usually works just fine. You can make your own cleaner. 1 part water and one part white vinegar.

Beemer

pineappleunderthesea
Does windex still even use ammonia? Not that I use it anyway... much prefer stoners or sprayway.
Windex Original does have ammonia.  There are other formulations that don't contain it, but most people just buy the cheap, regular stuff (the blue stuff). 
We do chemical testing where I work, and polycarbonate + ammonia = haze and eventually cracking (suntan lotion will actually harm it as well).  It takes many repeated applications, but eventually the ammonia will attack it.

Alcohol solutions can also be bad on repeated exposures.  That Rain-x water repellent for plastics contains propylene glycol, which does attack polycarbonate.  I'd be careful with that stuff as well and wouldn't use it often.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Windex and a clean microfiber towel. Never had a problem with any of my shields. Mine get so messed up from the sand storms and debris (flying rocks) that I have to replace mine at least every 2 years anyway. Just seeing all of the damage these things take makes me think "I sure am glad I'm wearing a full face helmet and that this crap isn't hitting my face constantly"

BugFace%202_zpsgm4wv2xm.jpg

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Over the years the best thing i learnt that works to clean is to use shaving gel. Apply it for sometime and clean it with warm water and use a cloth which is similar to one use to clean Sunglasses.

Archived