The MT-07 Forum

whats the best way to clean your shield

NICKY NEON

i bought a new shield for my gmax 54 helmet and was wondering whats the best way to clean it.
last shield i had got hazy and scratchy in about 3 months i was using windex and a paper towel.

Never use paper products on your shield.

I use a soft cloth (baby diapers are excellent) and lemon Pledge. If its real buggie I rinse it under warm water.

The optimum is a clean rag, warm water and soap.
On the road, when your shield is fast to become an insect magnet, make sure you have a small clean rag with you, and use a bit of water from which you drink from.

• Premium Member

Spit and a clean towel (Waffle weave) on the road. I use Dawn soap when I can.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

I use warm water on a microfiber. If there's larger chunks I hold the warm towel over them for about 10-15 seconds and it wipes right off. Don't use any sort of products like Windex. Soapy water will work too just don't use a lot of soap.

bmwpowere36m3

Key is not to use paper towels or even cotton ones... microfiber is the best.

I usually take the shield off once a week, run it under warm water, add a drop of dish soap and use my fingers lightly to clean the surface. Rinse and blow dry (air compressor)... no towels, no spots.

thanks guys :) , i couldn't believe how fast i ruined that shield with windex. i even started to use a microfiber after i seen it starting to get hazy but it still got worse.  didn't realize windex was so bad.

I like using Meguiar's Plastic-X on my face shield initially. It provides a water resistant barrier so that rain beads and gives you much better vision in the rain. The slick film also makes it easier for cleaning. With warm water and a microfiber towel the bugs slide right off.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-Plast-X-Clear-Plastic-Cleaner-and-Polish/16550253

Beemer

• Premium Member
I like using Meguiar's Plastic-X on my face shield initially. It provides a water resistant barrier so that rain beads and gives you much better vision in the rain. The slick film also makes it easier for cleaning. With warm water and a microfiber towel the bugs slide right off. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-Plast-X-Clear-Plastic-Cleaner-and-Polish/16550253
That stuff works on all plastics great. I used it on the Buell when I first picked it up and it made the plastic look good as new including the clear wind screen. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Thanks for that link, Beemer. I've been thinking about using a product like that, but didn't know of any designed for plastic. As it is, I wash mine every few days with warm water, Dawn, and my fingers, then dry with microfiber VERY carefully. I'd puke if that expensive shield got scratched. It's gorgeous to look through when clean. Literally can't even tell it's there. To protect it with "Plastic-X", or something like it, is a no-brainer. My cupboard is already filled with Meguiar products, so I might as well stick with them.

Edit:  Oops, changed my mind.  That Plastic-X has micro abrasives to remove scratches.  What I want would be more like Rain-X 620036 Plastic Treatment    

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

im done with chemicals warm water would work just fine. dont feel like buying a new shield every 3 months.
read the reviews on amazon not good.

bmwpowere36m3
 I'd puke if that expensive shield got scratched.
Don't worry… it probably will.  I was super careful with my iridium shield and one day my helmet fell off my seat and scratched the lens, damn it!  I've had it for about 2-3 years now and its still in decent shape.  It definitely has some light scratches (probably from road debris hitting the shield and washing/mf towel), but nothing I can really see when I'm wearing it. 
However I've found if you leave bug guts on it for too long is discolors the shield, like little spots.  But I don't have the patience/will to wash it after every ride.

valtopps, it isn't "chemicals" that do you in, it's abrasives, especially on a dry surface. Even cotton cloth has abrasive properties, let alone paper towels. Use microfiber and warm sudsy water to clean, and microfiber to dry. Blow drying would be ideal.

I will obtain some kind of "chemical" to protect that surface.  Allowing it to shed water and keeping bugs from sticking is the goal.

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

It doesn't create scratches, it fills them in. I apply it 'lightly' as a protectant about twice a year, not after every cleaning. Never caused a problem with mine or others I know that have used it. Don't use it if it scares you. As others have said, warm water and a microfiber towel work fine for cleaning alone but that's all it does is clean. I enjoy it when water beads in the rain.

Beemer

Im on the fence about rainx.

It was designed for auto glass, not plastic. There are some threads floating around on the interwebs stating that rainx over time can cause the shield to become brittle. The last thing i want is a brittle shield when im going 80 mph and i get hit in the face with a huge rock. (its...shocking).

[p align=center]Rain-X-Plastic-Treatment.jpg[div align=left][/div]

• Premium Member
i bought a new shield for my gmax 54 helmet and was wondering whats the best way to clean it. 
last shield i had got hazy and scratchy in about 3 months i was using windex and a paper towel.
I keep my helmet outside under my cover, but when it's time, I bring it in the house. When I take a shower b 4 work I use the damp towel to clean my helmet. I use the same to clean my phone and glasses. Works great, plenty of material and wet n dry areas, and most importantly, no scratches

Databyter

• 1 month later...

[p align=center]THIS STUFF IS UTTER CRAP!  DO NOT BUY[p align=center] [p align=center]If I can find my receipt I'm returning mine.  [p align=center]
[p align=center]PURE GARBAGE!  DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

I'd puke if that expensive shield got scratched.
Don't worry… it probably will.  I was super careful with my iridium shield and one day my helmet fell off my seat and scratched the lens, damn it!  I've had it for about 2-3 years now and its still in decent shape.  It definitely has some light scratches (probably from road debris hitting the shield and washing/mf towel), but nothing I can really see when I'm wearing it. 
However I've found if you leave bug guts on it for too long is discolors the shield, like little spots.  But I don't have the patience/will to wash it after every ride.
You Bastard! You jinxed me!! Here I'm worried about micro scratches and I managed to put a 3/4" doozy in it.  It goes from top down just left of my left eye.  It was made while carrying it as it was lowered somewhere, but I don't remember it happening.  I filled it in with a black Sharpie.  Doubt it can be buffed out.  When I saw it, I puked.  >:D 

pineappleunderthesea

If your shield is polycarbonate then the ammonia in Windex will slowly chemically degrade it over time.  If you shield is coated with a scratch-resistant coating, the ammonia could maybe attack that as well and cause it to delaminate, causing haze.

I use eyeglass cleaner on mine, never had an issue.  Eyeglass cleaner works well on polycarbonate glasses, hence it works fine on polycarbonate shields!

As for scratches and haze, you could get a polishing compound and polish those out.  It'll take a while by hand, but it's doable (i've done it on scratched-up DVDs).  Of course if your shield was hard-coated to protect against scratches, you'll likely polish away that coating, but it might be worth a try.

You Bastard! You jinxed me!! Here I'm worried about micro scratches and I managed to put a 3/4" doozy in it.  It goes from top down just left of my left eye.  It was made while carrying it as it was lowered somewhere, but I don't remember it happening.  I filled it in with a black Sharpie.  Doubt it can be buffed out.  When I saw it, I puked.  >:D

Yea, that's life... My shield is looking a little rough, but I've had it 2-3 years. I think it's a good excuse for me to get a new helmet as the RF-1000 is getting a little old.

[p align=center]THIS STUFF IS UTTER CRAP!  DO NOT BUY[p align=center] [p align=center]If I can find my receipt I'm returning mine.  [p align=center]
[p align=center]PURE GARBAGE!  DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

I wish I could've remembered where I saw an article on Rain X for plastic by some real knowledgeable dude . He said it was for sh it and I could've warned and put the article up, sorry, I should've said something anyway but who am I. Who's gonna listen to me?

Beemer

Archived