The MT-07 Forum

Oil Leak at 3,400 mi...

tmlicking

Just noticed a drop of oil under my bike, looks like it's coming out of the oil pan on the left side. Had my first service done at 600 miles and I think they overfilled it, which I knew about but figured the dealer maintenance shop knew better than I did. Pretty annoyed this happened.... Other than this leak is there any possible damage after a couple thousand miles with a little too much oil? The fix should just be an oil change and replacement of the oil pan gasket, does that sound right? I'm wondering if I should do that myself or have the dealer do it. At this point I don't trust them much to do a good job... I haven't looked into the warranty yet, anyone know how this would be covered off the top of your head?

bmwpowere36m3

I don't see how the two are related... You drove around a few thousand miles with too much oil? By too much what do you mean? How are you checking it?

I'd be surprised if the oil pan gasket is leaking already. Oil likes to run down the engine, so look for the highest source for leaks. Oil filter, engine side covers, pressure sendor, shift shaft, front sprocket, etc...

recurveshooter
Oil gets flung off the countershaft sprocket and accumulates there under that cover. Mine will drip occasionally just after I've oiled the chain. See if that's your problem - recurveshooter

When I got the first service done the oil fills the sight glass so I can't even see the level, wouldn't that make it above the full line? So I've ridden just under 3,000 miles since that oil change. Yeah the leak is coming from above the pan, may be from the sprocket like you're saying recurveshooter, but it's motor oil not chain lube. Is that what you mean by oil getting flung off the sprocket? I'll pull the cover off and take a closer look tomorrow I'm just getting a feeling for where to start. Thanks dudes.

• Premium Member

Assuming it really is too full (and, given many dealer techs it's entirely possible), why would you opt to leave it like that? Usually being too full leads to the oil aerating via contact with reciprocating parts and the oil-pump sending that frothy mix to critical internal surfaces, e.g. bearings!!! Air doesn't lubricate well! Yes, clean the engine, etc. and find out where it is actually coming from... oh yeah, correct the oil level if isn't, too!

To the OP,

Per the owners manual: Place the vehicle on level surface,
And hold it in UPRIGHT position to view oil level

Chances are you didn't check the level correctly!

• 4 weeks later...

Oil is supposed to drip now and then from the two hoses you see pointing down in that area. It's from the crank case breather lines.

• Premium Member

I agree with recurveshooter. Take the cover off the sprocket and see if there's built up gunk. It seems unlikely that a gasket has gone bad this early on. Check the simple stuff first before thinking the worst has happened.

If it were my bike I would first drain some of the oil if it's over filled. Over filling can cause excessive oil pressure so if you lower the amount the gasket may perform just fine with less pressure or maybe it's dripping from somewhere else. If that doesn't fix it, take it back to the dealer and point out their mistake/have them correct it or just don't touch it and take it there, why should you have to correct their mistakes?

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3
Oil is supposed to drip now and then from the two hoses you see pointing down in that area. It's from the crank case breather lines.
I'm almost positive their fuel tank vents... on a hot day, full tank I'll get a couple drips on the ground (smell like fuel). Oil breather goes into air box and burnt in engine.

I'm almost positive their fuel tank vents... on a hot day, full tank I'll get a couple drips on the ground (smell like fuel). Oil breather goes into air box and burnt in engine.

You'r correct. they are fuel tank and overflow vents. I get a few drops in my parking spot at work. They act more like oil in that they don't just dry up and go away. I assumed they were from the crank case vents. Anyway that is probably what this original post was about.

Archived