The MT-07 Forum

Review: VStream Sport Touring Windscreen

databyter

• Premium Member

I was going to do something more detailed with better pics but apparently there are a few folks waiting for some input before they buy and I didn't want to hold them up. So here's my quick n dirty in between OT shifts.
So for now, just a few pics I took on the way home recently.

Neither my bike nor the screen was cleaned, this is a real world review, I've been using this for about 3 weeks, rain and shine. I made these pics mostly to show the mounting adapter and how it fits in the dash etc. I realize I could have shot more angles of how it looks and I'll try to do that if requested, but suffice it to say, it looks pretty damn good.

[attachment id=745" thumbnail="1][attachment id=746" thumbnail="1][attachment id=747" thumbnail="1][attachment id=748" thumbnail="1]

VStream Sport Touring Height Windscreen for FZ-07

ORDERING: Pre-Ordered from Revzilla, they are gearing up but currently you might have to wait a few weeks for stock.

DELIVERY: Delivered about 3 weeks after I ordered it.

PACKAGING: Excellent! There was a larger box that contained a more form fit box and stuffing on the sides. Inside the form fitting box there was more stuffing and the screen was in a plastic envelope with foam padding all around it. There were no scratches or defects.

INSIDE: Windscreen, Mounting Adapter, Hardware

INSTRUCTIONS: Adequate if not the best print job I've seen. The instructions themselves were accurate and easy to understand.

INSTALLATION: Fairly straightforward. You mount the mounting adapter to the 4 bolts on the headlight assy.

BUT they also wanted me to replace some internals on the side of the headlight assy., and replace them with their hardware. This does not touch the windscreen or the mount but seems to be to possibly make the headlight assy stronger? See my "Concerns" section below for details.

Also when mounting the screen itself to the bracket, cap nuts were used, and I feel they bottomed out before the screen was actually snugged. This may be intentional to prevent people from damaging the (I believe acrylic, therefore breakable) screen by over-torquing, but I would have preferred to be given the benefit of the doubt and although it's not sloppy loose there may be some give here that adds to the flex/wobble I discuss below. It is easily fixed with some thin rubber washers which I intend to add when I re-install it after a naked ride sometime.

IMPRESSIONS:

Honestly, my first impression was this thing looks great. Also I noted that although I ordered light smoke or something like that, this appears to be clear, or very close to it, which is great because that is what I wanted anyway.

My second impression was WTF does it need to be so wobbly. I mean it's not loose or anything, but it is mounted on a bracket that has some give, and as mentioned, the cap nuts that mount the acrylic to the bracket may not even be fully snug either, but I believe it is mostly just give in the mounting bracket, again, easily remedied if it bothers you, but they may have done it on purpose to act as a shock absorber to prevent too much stress to the headlight assy. at high speed. It only flexes a bit, but it seems unecessary to me and I would have preferred a rigid approach. As I describe in my "Impressions", it really isn't that big of a deal, at least to me, and if it was, I could easily mod it to be more rigid.

I am 5'8" for reference. My impression at speed was that there are no longer 8 bikers trying to pull me off my barstool at 70+ MPH. In fact it seemed that I was going much slower, and I am still surprised at how smooth a ride it is even at 90 which feels more like 60 used to.

I was a bit disapointed that one of my favorite naked bike positions which was legs hugging tank forward, belly on tank and head hovering somewhere over the speedo, which really made me feel like the guy in TRON and very balanced and low to the ground at very high speeds on curves and such (and probably looked very wierd, but I don't give a crap), was not really possible anymore. But this is not really the fault of the VStream, anything bigger than a cowl would prevent me from pretending this was a sportbike with any windscreen brand, and especially a taller one, although as you can see in the pic, it is not the full touring, but more of a hybrid between sport and touring, which seems to work for me.

I did notice quite a bit more wind at the head, but much less below it. In fact there was a bit of a heat wave the first few days I used it, and I was really MISSING the air-conditioning, which also makes me think this will benefit me during the cold months, if we ever get any again in Southern California (Maybe I should have said the cold days). But on most average warm days, I still get enough air, and no longer feel like a 12 year old girl is trying to beat me up.
I found a few good tuck positions that work with the screen and allow me to get a bit lower and more aggressive, but this is a touring screen so your options are more limited. I don't like to sit TOO far back because it feels less balanced and I like to squeeze the tank when I go fast, so there isn't as much room to try to tuck UNDER the screen, but I can plant my helmet just behind and above it, and there are a few good places where it seems to be calm, and a few bad ones, and I noticed that my cheap helmet was much louder, and this is about the time that I started using ear-plugs when I ride, which I highly recommend to all, screen or no screen. If you tuck your head near the edge of the screen you will get some very light buffeting in some places, and very little in others but all that air diverted from your torso is LOUD either way and I found it intolerable without earplugs and very nice with them

The nightime reflection of the headlight is very muted, and there is an engineered crease there that deflects it. It is virtually unoticable, unless you are doing a review so I am just pointing out that yes, like many screens, it does show a small muted reflection of the headlight, but the shape of the lower screen seems to be designed to mitigate it and it works. It is not distracting.

Steering feels ever so slightly thicker at high speed, but it might be my imagination. Any windscreen that is mounted to rotate with the wheel should be very balanced and shaped to mitigate steering input. VStream (and Yamaha) does this by making the mount in a narrow center section that has very little leverage (as opposed to the ends of the handlebars for instance). Also the shape of the VSteam was designed to minimize air flow resistance and turbulence, and it is narrow enough that it probably puts very little lateral force even in the very small unleveraged mounting position on the headlight assy.
But at high speed it does seem like I might put ever so little of an amount more of counter steering when I am curving at 80+ for instance on the freeway. Steering feels very stable, just perhaps a hair heavier, as you might expect from any touring screen that moves with the wheel when at very high speeds. And, honestly, it is so small, I am not sure if I am feeling a difference, or just expecting it. I intend to pay close attn. when I remove it for a naked day.

It would seem to be just as easy to remove the screen (and keep the mounting bracket mounted) and go naked as it was to install it. I would have preferred something like the Madstadt system, but I can handle four bolts in a few minutes if I want to travel without windscreen or want to install a smaller/bigger one for the day. This seems perfectly suited for commuting, and would seem to be sporty enough for a nice mountain ride as well. I would not recommend for the track of course.

I have a cover that has metal hooks on it and I throw that over the bike, and often drag a hook, or the dirty side of the fabric, over the front and edges of the windscreen. I have not noticed any scratching, although I have not cleaned it and looked closely either. But suffice it to say that it seems to not scratch easily, which may be an advantage of acrylic. I saw a vid comparing acrylic to whatever the other type is,.. polymer? I forget, but anyway they shot at it, and the hard acrylic broke, and the other one just had a neat bullet hole. So don't shoot at this one if you want to make vent holes, but that hardness is a blessing if you ask me.

CONCERNS: As mentioned above, it does have a sort of flex mount that is not sloppy by any means, nor is it rigid. I don't feel the FiZ has much vibration, so if my mirrors are vibrating at lets say for example, a 1/64th of an inch at 80 MPH, why is it necessary that my windscreen have 1/8 inch movement? On the other hand, I don't really look at my windscreen or notice it, unless it's a rough road or turbulent crosswinds it is fairly stable, and this mounting flex may be on purpose to protect the bike from torque from quick gusts or whatever. The headlight assy doesn't really look that strong. By adding a few parts, this could be made rigid, but I am no longer all that concerned about it. I don't really notice it moving, except for purposes of the review, since I did stare at it critically when first installed.

Which brings me to concern 2. The instructions told me to remove the side bolts from the headlight assy, drop it down out of the way, and remove the metal bushing and rubber grommet from either side. The installation kit replaced the metal bushing with a plastic one of a slightly different dimension, and there is no longer any grommet, which was either a water proofing device, or to remove vibration from the front end, either way, now gone as only the bolt itself was re-used. I am wondering why this was necessary, and I am not sure how I feel about it. I am definitely hanging on to the stock parts. I feel that VStream did this to strengthen this part, by removing the grommet, and making the bushing thicker, but it would likely work just as well without these parts, and perhaps be waterproof in the headlight housing.

Pro's: Good looking, easy to install (about an hour, mostly just to be careful not to scratch it, and because I had noone to hold it while I bolted it in). Absolutely acomplishes wind mitigation on the torso, and the head wind, while stronger, is managable and fairly non turbulent in most zones. Can be dismounted in probably 10 minutes or less, mostly just to be careful and methodical (leaving mounting adapter on bike).

Con's: Could be more rigid for my taste. Would be nicer if it had a quick release system like Madstadt, since many of us want/need a touring (commuting) screen, we would still like it even more easily removable for the naked bike we chose to buy. I did NOT like removing the factory bushings and grommet at the sides of the headlight assy.

Conclusion: Good looking and effective. I would recommend this product and size for those who want less violent buffeting on their torso at higher speeds. It is smooth at speed and very well designed in most respects. I think a taller one would have limited extra benefit (but not sure) unless you really were putting a lot of miles down and sat mostly upright. I like this one because it has limited steering input and wind resistance, while actually seriously taking the monkey off your chest. I plan to add some thin rubber washers to the mounting solution (mounting adapter to acrylic) because I feel that the cap nut bottoms out before it is actually snug although it doesn't move around or anything, I do not trust it. It just STOPs when tightening. I might also stiffen the mounting bracket one day for shet's n grins, but honestly after that first critical day, I just appreciate the shield, and I don't give a damn if it moves a bit over rough terrain or at speed. It still moves very little. It just seems unecessary, but then again, who cares? If you like to ride tucked really low and forward you are better off getting a cowl, a sport sized, or leaving it naked, but you can still use this for that all day ride, and take it off when jousting around town or track.

p.s. For extra credit can you tell me where my bike is parked?

Other reviews coming up; Puig Frame SLider, Yamaha stock engine guard, RGC Adj. Levers, Pitbull Stands. As I have time. 

Cheers.   :)

Databyter

I have the sport version. Because i had bad experience wight high screen (with another bike), the touring version was not an option for me. But i was undecided for the sport/Tour version. If it was available in dark gray, maybe i had opt for this one. I'm waiting for your comments about your screen. Please take time to specify your height.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member

I spy kfc bag...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
KFC :o)

I spy kfc bag...

Very good, and that is a good hint. But WHERE is that KFC.

Databyter

• Premium Member

I take the kfc is located in San Diego near the 805 freeway and I dunno the precise location...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

That's what i call a complete review. Thanks a lot. I bought directly my screen from National Cycle. It took less than a week to get it. Because the Sport version screen is shorter, i guess that's why i didn't have to remove the side bolts as you had to do, databyter. The mounting is rigid for the shorter version. I'm 5'-11".

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member
That's what i call a complete review. Thanks a lot. I bought directly my screen from National Cycle. It took less than a week to get it. Because the Sport version screen is shorter, i guess that's why i didn't have to remove the side bolts as you had to do, databyter. The mounting is rigid for the shorter version. I'm 5'-11".

I would guess the mounting is the same for both and it is just the height that allows for more movement with the taller screen. The flex is simply a factor of the thickness of the sheet metal the mounting adapter was made from. It may not be intentional and I wouldn't be surprised that a shorter screen would seem rigid and mine would bend slightly when pushed or pulled.I could always make this mounting adapter more rigid, but like this morning I was doing 80 on the freeway and the screen was as stable as a rock. It only moves when I pull it manually or go over rough roads, and then only about 1/8 of an inch at the top edge. I'm just a picky mofo.

I am also wondering if the bushing mod was an afterthought and not on earlier models, since I found an online assy instruction for the Sport Touring size that does not mention switching out the bushing.

Databyter

I would guess the mounting is the same for both and it is just the height that allows for more movement with the taller screen. The flex is simply a factor of the thickness of the sheet metal the mounting adapter was made from. It may not be intentional and I wouldn't be surprised that a shorter screen would seem rigid and mine would bend slightly when pushed or pulled.I could always make this mounting adapter more rigid, but like this morning I was doing 80 on the freeway and the screen was as stable as a rock. It only moves when I pull it manually or go over rough roads, and then only about 1/8 of an inch at the top edge. I'm just a picky mofo. 
I am also wondering if the bushing mod was an afterthought and not on earlier models, since I found an online assy instruction for the Sport Touring size that does not mention switching out the bushing.
The Sport version would flex also if i push or pull it. I did some bumpy forest roads, the screen took it all well. And no vibration come from the screen or the mounting adaptor. I' m picky for level of vibration. I have to say that i'm very satisfied. 

• Premium Member

Thank you for the review. I currently have the Puig Touring and was hoping the Vstream Sport Touring directed the wind to the side of the helmet as they advertise, but that does not appear to be the case. The Puig pushes the air up directly into the helmet. No longer getting pushed off the bike but noisy as all get out.

travisaurusrex
Thank you for the review. I currently have the Puig Touring and was hoping the Vstream Sport Touring directed the wind to the side of the helmet as they advertise, but that does not appear to be the case. The Puig pushes the air up directly into the helmet. No longer getting pushed off the bike but noisy as all get out.

I am in exactly the same boat and have been watching eagerly for VStream reviews.
I have the Puig Touring Screen as well and I have the same issue with over-the-top wind noise. If anyone has a screen that helps mitigate noise, I would love to hear about it.

• Premium Member
Yea, it probably diverts to the side a bit, but you will still get loud buffeting on virtually any screen this size at or near the edge. There is a sweet spot where it seems less turbulent, and I tuck there, but it is still loud as heck compared to naked (unless using foam earplugs), and when I tuck low naked I can really get into a position where there is much less helmet noise and turbulence, and virtually no torso turbulence. But uno, the reality is I am not going to commute in that position which is only really fun when I am able to race around quickly.

This screen is good for real world commuting or touring in a more upright or half tuck, and just average at best for trying a sport tuck.

Apologies if I am using the wrong terminology, but I think you guys know what I mean.

Databyter

• Premium Member

I will say tho, that I have been including foam earplugs in my AGATT now, and between the peace of that, and the lack of wind buffeting, I'm really liking my high speed commutes. Recommend ear plugs. I tried several "high end" plugs, including some sold at a moto shop FOR cycling use, and I absolutely hated them!

They were either too thick, hard, big, or came out when I helmeted.

I used those cheapo soft foam shop plugs for years in shops, and I am using them again now with fantastic results. One pair lasts me over a week before I change em out for the heck of it. I get em free at work.

Do yourselves a favor and try it. You can still hear everything important, except perhaps your quiet motor ;)

Databyter

kindredspirit

databyter, I gave this same Sport/Tour VStream a try and the jury is still out for me. I wrote to National Cycle about the flex and wobble, because it bothers me in terms of wondering if the headlight cover mounting area just wasn't built to hold a shield this large. The Yamaha visor (I wouldn't call it a windscreen) mounts via two very secure brackets attached to the fork pinch bolts.  I have used products from National Cycle on other bikes and never had this slop in the fit.  For the price, I think the quality and fitment should equal or exceed OEM.  At this point I have not heard back yet but it's only been a day since my email.  I'll repost when I get a reply. 

kindredspirit

Update after I received an email from National Cycle. They were fair about it and will take it back. No suggestions were offered on how to make the mounting system more solid.

• Premium Member

I have the ermax tall windscreen...sucker is solid...

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Another update. I've had the screen a few months now, rain and shine, 99 mph and 15mph and I gotta say, I love it. I'm used to the new tuck position that is the sweet spot for this screen and it still gives me a low center of balance, lower helmet buffeting, and almost no wind pull. And for straight up commuting at less rocket speeds, it is just effortlessly pleasing to ride.

At first I thought about taking the screen off for certain rides down the road, but honestly, I like the advantages of it so much that it's hard to justify. And most of the negatives, are really Princess and the Pea criticisms that don't affect me or enter my consciousness on real rides. If something breaks on the mounting system, which is highly unlikely, I'll let ya'll know, but in the meantime, I can't be bothered with the fact that the screen is mounted on what for all practical purposes is a shock absorber, that allows some movement, but not much, and at this point, at least for me, I never notice it any more, since I am not analyzing it for a review.

It LOOKS great.

It does the job that I wanted it to do almost perfectly.

I feel I chose well.

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member

Databyter, for clarity, what size screen are you using now?
At 70+ sitting upright what is wind like at helmet level?

Just came back from a little trip. I have the Sport version. For the last day, i rode 684 km (miles). The screen did his job very well. Just by the way my jacket looked, i knew that this small screen protect me enough. My jacket was bug free, except for the shoulders. After the sunset, i had to stop clean my helmet because it became a bugs magnet. Very satisfied by this product. The mounting hardware is not an issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Databyter, for clarity, what size screen are you using now? At 70+ sitting upright what is wind like at helmet level?
I'm using the sport touring (in between) size and there is more air on the head at 70 than there was with it being naked, but most of the stuff from below seems to go above and to the sides. The reason there is a bit more is because all that air that was hitting my waist and chest before is adding to the normal naked airflow. There is not bad buffeting at all unless you get really close to the edge, which I tried as an experiment, but really, there is no reason to get close to the top edge any more. I can do less tuck and still be mostly out of the wind, or upright and yea, you can feel 70 more than if you leaned down a bit, but it isn't really much until 8o plus, at which point it is still tolerable, but I usually shift my head down a bit NOT close to the edge, but a few inches back, which is sort of a dead spot. I do use earplugs all the time now, so I don't have a really good idea of the noise, but it will be a bit louder than naked, especially near the top edge of the screen, which as I said is sort of a pointless place to be with a windscreen there since now you can be less tucked and get the same relief. I have a feeling however that you might like the full touring one a bit better. Here's another option. Get the mid sized one, and add a givi extender which is somewhat height and angle adjustable for various bikes and rider heights. I saw a vid of a guy on an FJ-07 which has a screen very similar to the VStream, although it is actually a stock screen on that bike. He bought it used, and the guy he bought it from had the Givi extender, which he said made a very nice and noticable difference. I think I've seen your name in some of the local rides. I am sure I am gonna participate at some point when work slows down a bit and you can get a closer look if you want. But I know what you really want is a test ride. I'd hafta think about that one lol.  Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
Just came back from a little trip. I have the Sport version. For the last day, i rode 684 km (miles). The screen did his job very well. Just by the way my jacket looked, i knew that this small screen protect me enough. My jacket was bug free, except for the shoulders. After the sunset, i had to stop clean my helmet because it became a bugs magnet. Very satisfied by this product. The mounting hardware is not an issue.
Agree. I don't want to scare folks off about the mounting hardware. I was just giving my honest initial impressions and concerns, but both the "wobble" and the mounting seem to be par for the course for mid-sized and above windscreens and it no longer concerns me. 
Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
Databyter, for clarity, what size screen are you using now? At 70+ sitting upright what is wind like at helmet level?
............ I think I've seen your name in some of the local rides. I am sure I am gonna participate at some point when work slows down a bit and you can get a closer look if you want. But I know what you really want is a test ride. I'd hafta think about that one lol.  Databyter
Come on, just a couple of wheelies and no drifting ............ 

• Premium Member
............ I think I've seen your name in some of the local rides. I am sure I am gonna participate at some point when work slows down a bit and you can get a closer look if you want. But I know what you really want is a test ride. I'd hafta think about that one lol.  Databyter
Come on, just a couple of wheelies and no drifting ............
Lol ;)

Databyter

Archived