The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust smells a bit funny on first start up

username

• Premium Member

So yesterday I installed the L3XB and started the bike up. Shortly after I could smell something burning. I noticed when I first looked at the exhaust that there was a little weld spatter in it and some sort of oily substance in the header pipes. Is this normal for a new exhaust? Did anybody have any other situations likes this with a new exhaust? I'll keep you posted if my bike lights on fire while I'm riding it.

bmwpowere36m3

I'd day its normal and will go away... a combination of oils from manufacturing and the packing material in the muffler.

I'd day its normal and will go away... a combination of oils from manufacturing and the packing material in the muffler.
That oil will burn off, it's not going to hurt anything.

Beemer

• Premium Member

It's normal...it's all the production junk getting burned off...totally normal, wouldn't be surprised if ppl say it smells like burnt cooking spray, which is used as a lubricant to make exhaust... I used to make car exhaust systems and catalytic converters...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Ya it's better already just had to put some kilometers on it. There was a fair bit of junk in there my word! It was a good idea to take the baffles out so it could clear all the junk out. There is a catalytic converter also.

Archived