The MT-07 Forum

Oil Smells like Gas

Guest GringoStarr

Guest GringoStarr

Does anyone else's oil come out smelling like gas? This is my 4th change at 3k miles.

Also, far less importantly, does switching to yamalube full synthetic 20w-50 at 4k sound about right? I trust the dealer, but may as well ask/share that opinion while on the topic.

bmwpowere36m3

Smell is subjective... but I'd say a faint smell of gas or "combustion" is normal. Now if it reeks of pure gas, then it's a problem.

This bike isn't carburated, but ones that are often with age the fuel petcock will leak, carb will overflow and if there isn't a overflow drain... it'll run down the intake into combustion chamber and seep past the piston rings. Thus contaminating the oil.

I guess the injectors could be leaking... How's you MPG, notice it's been going down?

There are a few things you could do. First, do nothing and periodically smell the oil and see if you notice anything. Second, send your oil off for analysis, like Blackstone Labs. Third, on your next oil change meter how much oil you put in and the following oil change how much comes out. Any extra could be fuel.

Maybe ask a buddy, friend, mechanic to look/smell the oil.

Guest GringoStarr
Smell is subjective... but I'd say a faint smell of gas or "combustion" is normal. Now if it reeks of pure gas, then it's a problem. 
This bike isn't carburated, but ones that are often with age the fuel petcock will leak, carb will overflow and if there isn't a overflow drain... it'll run down the intake into combustion chamber and seep past the piston rings. Thus contaminating the oil.

I guess the injectors could be leaking... How's you MPG, notice it's been going down?

There are a few things you could do. First, do nothing and periodically smell the oil and see if you notice anything. Second, send your oil off for analysis, like Blackstone Labs. Third, on your next oil change meter how much oil you put in and the following oil change how much comes out. Any extra could be fuel.

Maybe ask a buddy, friend, mechanic to look/smell the oil.

The MPG hasn't changed but is pretty good from what I gather @54. I thought it smelled like it the first time @150 miles which is why I'm on my 4th at 3k miles just in case. Lol. Oil level remains the same. Will probably send to lab--thanks for the suggestion on the lab as googling got a lot of irrelevant stuff. Thanks

Guest Ralph

If the bike starts and runs well then it's unlikely you have a problem,
do you do a lot of short runs were the engine does not get up to full
temp if so it may not be getting hot enough to boil off any fuel that gets
passed the rings though the honest answer is I don't think you have anything
to worry over what it likely needs is 2 or 3 good fast long rides.

Guest GringoStarr

Hmm, I don't do a lot of short or low temp runs, but I never really approach the redline either. I don't think I've ever gotten even a whiff of gas from the bike itself.

This may be silly, but I got in the habit of shutting the bike off by lowering the kickstand. Does that shut off ignition but not fuel? Lol. I wouldn't have thought it's different than the ignition switch or key.

• Global Moderator
Hmm, I don't do a lot of short or low temp runs, but I never really approach the redline either. I don't think I've ever gotten even a whiff of gas from the bike itself.  
This may be silly, but I got in the habit of shutting the bike off by lowering the kickstand. Does that shut off ignition but not fuel? Lol. I wouldn't have thought it's different than the ignition switch or key.
I believe that's exactly what it does, the switch is an input telling the ECU that the kickstand is down and the bike could be damaged. Im guessing the ecu has an internal relay for the ignition primaries that will go open if the kickstand switch input is recieved.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

bmwpowere36m3

I don't know if it's the same "shutdown" sequence... but it's not a habit I'd make. Use the key, like it was intended.

Guest Ralph

No matter how you stop the engine even if you stall it fuel is cut off at the injectors,
the system will have pressure in it for a short time after ignition off but unless the
injectors are dribbling fuel wont get to the engine, if one was dribbling you would notice
lumpy running at start up and or low speed depending how bad it was but I still doubt you
have a problem.
You are better switching it off at the key if only because the bike as quite a small battery
and stopping it any other way than by the key leaves the head light on until you turn the
key. 

Did you get your throttle body synchronization done?
You should run it through the Rpms close to red line helps to clear it's throat.
And chill on the oil changes unless you like to waist money.
Only time I would change earlier than recommended is for storing or after some heavy track days.

Guest GringoStarr

Yes, tb sync is done. The window on the crankcase is a gift and a curse for me...must look perfectly clear on a dipstick. To be safe I brought it to the local dyno shop to clear its throat. Jk

Archived