The MT-07 Forum

Yoshimura exhaust installed, but lost power??

Just looking for a little feedback from anyone that has put an after market exhaust on:

I installed a Yoshimura CF exhaust at only 200 miles, but the first thing I noticed was I lost my low end torque. 

I have since bought a EJK from Dobeck ( but not yet installed it ) in hopes of getting it back. However, I went with the Yoshi because I have read a lot of reviews and most said the EJK wasn't necessary with the Yoshi.

Anyway, it's a lot louder than I wanted so I'm on the fence about keeping the exhaust.

Should I have waited until the bike breaks in more, then install the exhaust?

I like the looks, and the weight savings probably helps a little but is it really worth it???

Thanks everyone in advance for your feedback.

• Premium Member
Just looking for a little feedback from anyone that has put an after market exhaust on: 
I installed a Yoshimura CF exhaust at only 200 miles, but the first thing I noticed was I lost my low end torque. 

I have since bought a EJK from Dobeck ( but not yet installed it ) in hopes of getting it back. However, I went with the Yoshi because I have read a lot of reviews and most said the EJK wasn't necessary with the Yoshi.

Anyway, it's a lot louder than I wanted so I'm on the fence about keeping the exhaust.

Should I have waited until the bike breaks in more, then install the exhaust?

I like the looks, and the weight savings probably helps a little but is it really worth it???

Thanks everyone in advance for your feedback.

Check your header gaskets for leaks, also check the entire system for a leak. Shine a light in the muffler when it's dark and look for light. Is the baffle in the muffler?

The sound isn't likely to change a lot after break in. Maybe a tiny amount, probably not even perceivable.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

... and no worries, you could install the exhaust at mile 1, should not affect your break in.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I feel so fortunate that I like the way the stock exhaust sounds. I saved some dough and headaches. I feel pretty stealth when I am speeding around town. I'll get less tickets.

My two cents, sell the exhaust and go stock again if you think it is too loud. Why take away from your joy just to follow the louder is better bandwagon.

And the safety thing? If you guys are depending on noise to save you from your driving habits you are doing the wrong things. When I split I can downshift or toss in a rev here or there if I really want to notify (there is also a horn) but the way I split does not depend on other people hearing me because I do it at the right speeds and conditions to allow my actions to save me from almost any action by a car I am passing.

I DO like the nice throaty rumble of an aftermarket pipe, but not enough to suffer it on a peaceful ride in the country or at 5 am in the driveway.

Databyter

Ride with earplugs to save your hearing even with a stock pipe. Aftermarket pipe is barely audible with ear plugs. Also it is known that you lose power at the low end while getting any exhaust without a tune of some sort. More airflow and less back pressure will lean out the bike and get you further away from the optimum AF ratio needed for power

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

Unlike most systems you shouldn't need a fuel tuner, the 02sensor is in a place where it still gives that input to the computer system which will adjust it accordingly. I thought that I have lost power after the install also but after not riding for a few days that is definitely not the issue, just get use to the torque. Installing the baffle is easy if you haven't yet, I have the exact same one and its one allen set screw after sliding the pipe and collar in it. Just make sure you don't drop the screw inside the slip on part, you will be cussing and have to remove the slip on if you do. Yoshi is ungodly crackly and throaty without a baffle (even though I loved it), still sounds nice once put in though.

Archived