The MT-07 Forum

Solo riding is the best.

yamahaha

I've never been into group rides and having my wife tag along on her bike can get dangerous.

My wife and I have done a lot of riding lately. She insists on following on her bike. This gets tiresome after a while. I worry and tend to babysit her.  I  corner slower and am constantly looking in my mirrors for her.
Don't get me wrong, she is a fine rider but being leader does carry responsibility.

She gets tired and  impatient when a long day's ride is nearing its end and tends to lane split and follow too close.  This happens mostly at lights and stop signs. She's almost ran into me twice. She almost got me when I turned into a gas station a while back. I heard rubber squealing and a loud " F*CK".  She still didn't learn her lesson from that one.

I'm so looking forward to her holidays ending so I can get back into some solo riding.

bmwpowere36m3

Haha… I can relate. Not motorcycles since my girlfriend rides as a passenger (want's to learn though), but in other activities like bicycling and skiing/boarding. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time together and having mutual hobbies… but sometimes its more enjoyable doing them with people on the same skill level or alone. I can't complain though as she likes her "personal-time" and gives me it as well.

rotaryryan24

I feel your pain, my last girlfriend loved to ride dirt bikes with me. Fun at first but soon after she sucked all the fun right out of it. I actually stopped riding for a short time because of her.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member

I enjoy my solo times as well as small group rides with close buddies...the occasional gf will ride passenger but for most part(97.4% of the time) i tell em it's my " time" ....I have yet to date a gf with her own road bike... My only problem is I'm good at navigation twisty roads and I'm always slowing down to let the bddies Harleys catch up...dirt biking will teach you all about corners :)..I'm also not a fan of having passengers since I cannot control em when I need them to pay Attention...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I always ride alone. With our different schedules it's hard to find time to get together for a ride. It's just as well because he has his cruiser and can't ride the way that I want to and doesn't want to go as far. It's too bad that your wife doesn't want to ride alone. It's nice just going where ever you want at the pace you want and not having to worry about anyone else. Also your wife really shouldn't be riding so close. That must be scary.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

My girlfriend has her own sport bike as her only mode of transportation (z1000). We ride together occasionally but also ride solo a lot. We both have times where we need to clear our heads so a day trip to the blue ridge parkway is just about perfect.

• Premium Member

Yup. I ride solo all the time now. My wife was riding for a while, but got freaked one day and hasn't ridden since. My brother used to ride, and we did some great trips together, but now I'm alone. :(
I like it though... I can start when I want to start, go where I want to go, and keep the pace I want to keep. It would be fun to have company sometimes (but I really don't want to go on one of those "runs" where it is 90% Harley riders).

Why can't left turners see us?

Nagging bout your wife is a different forum... Thanks for sharing and good luck with all "that"
Glad you enjoyed! 

I'm all for solo riding too, but from the sounds of her experience (or lack thereof) you should be riding behind her, not her behind you. Not only is that safer, you'll find that you both enjoy the rides a lot more.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

Maybe some imaginative gameplay can put the fun back.

How about you guys face off with lightweight wooden poles about 15 feet long and as you approach, try to unseat the other rider...

OK, probably a bad idea.

Databyter

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
How about you guys face off with lightweight wooden poles about 15 feet long and as you approach, try to unseat the other rider...

OK, probably a bad idea.

That's the kind of stuff my buddies and I would do on our 80cc dirtbikes growing up. Haha. I'm amazed we survived childhood.

• Global Moderator

OK, probably a bad idea.

That's the kind of stuff my buddies and I would do on our 80cc dirtbikes growing up. Haha. I'm amazed we survived childhood.
Surviving childhood... to the best of the 70s 80s and 90s...

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Man, I feel the strain just reading that. I get the feeling she's looking around too much. Can't say I blame you for not liking a duo ride. I would be curious to see how she rides when following you. Can you record it somehow? A cam on her helmet would be excellent. Btw, I don't see your thread as complaining. I finished high school so I understood where you were going with that. It's a good heads up for any couple that hasn't rode this way and maybe a reminder they should ride solo instead because it's safer.

Beemer

OK, probably a bad idea.

Good idea but a little rough on chicks. Jello wresting by candle light in the bathtub is safer and more gratifying.

Beemer

Man, I feel the strain just reading that. I get the feeling she's looking around too much. Can't say I blame you for not liking a duo ride. I would be curious to see how she rides when following you. Can you record it somehow? A cam on her helmet would be excellent. Btw, I don't see your thread as complaining. I finished high school so I understood where you were going with that. It's a good heads up for any couple that hasn't rode this way and maybe a reminder they should ride solo instead because it's safer.
Thanks for your post. I had hoped when I started the thread we would discuss the hazards of duo/group riding.  My situation seems to be unique.  
Couples that ride together stay together or is it couples that ride together crash together ... lol.

Thanks for your post. I had hoped when I started the thread we would discuss the hazards of duo/group riding.  My situation seems to be unique.  
Couples that ride together stay together or is it couples that ride together crash together ... lol.

I think it's safe to say couples crash together at night and that's a good thing.

Beemer

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
I'm all for solo riding too, but from the sounds of her experience (or lack thereof) you should be riding behind her, not her behind you. Not only is that safer, you'll find that you both enjoy the rides a lot more.
I would second this ^^^^^. Even though your wife insists on following, switch it up and see if it gets less stressful for either or both of you. 
I have a few things I would add:

First: Maybe it's time to invest in a bluetooth communication system. That way you can communicate "I'm running low on gas, lets pull into the next station"; You're taking this section a little quick for me, can you slow down/I'll catch-up with you after the twisty bit ends"; or "I need a break".

Second: You could do is get a WiFi action camera. Some have the ability to stream the real-time video to your smart phone. If you mount the phone on your handlebars and the camera on your tail section facing backwards all you need to do is take a quick glance down at your smart phone to see if she is still behind you. No need to turn your head around.

Third: Taking a bit of time planning your route might go a long way to making your rides enjoyable. If your wife can't take a 3 hour ride, plan a 1 or 2 hour ride. Lay out the route and any fuel/food/rest stops so you both have a good idea of what to expect. At the end of the ride your wife can stop and you can continue on, or she can continue with you if she is feeling up for it.

Let me know if that helps out your situation.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

To the OP my girlfriend has been riding motorcycles for 20 years and is far more experienced on the road than I so I can't really relate to your issues. I usually let her lead because I know its beyond my limits to try to keep up with a bike with double the horsepower, better brakes, and better tires. We do take turns leading but like I said neither of us get to bored. She is faster in the straights and harder on the brakes diving into the corners. When I lead she just goes at my pace.

If your wife is not comfortable I would suggest backing down the difficulty level or even you both taking an advanced motorcycle safety course that is more geared towards perfection the habits of more seasoned riders. It just takes seat time and of she started riding because of you she may not have that drive or passion to just get out there and ride.

@snowdriftless
Thanks for the ideas. We have had communicators in the past but found them lacking (chatterboxes). They would make for a safer environment but I enjoy the quiet time.
You are absolutely right about trip planning. I ride long and hard and she tires out. Once she gets tired its all downhill. I need to be more forceful on her leading.

@wickedtwister
Nothing wrong with the wife's ability to ride. She started riding in 1986, rode all my bikes since, had her own, and put most of the miles on my hayabusa.
I doubt we could find such a course in our area but I do agree with honing skills and learning proper techniques. Just because one rides a lot does not mean they have great skill or no bad habits.

Ride solo = no hassles.

Archived