The MT-07 Forum

Tire rotation mark ?

landisse

So I got a screw in my front tire today and while inspecting it I noticed that the tire rotation arrow is facing the wrong direction. The back one is facing the right way. I have the Michelin's. Do you think I can swing for a free tire since Yamaha put it on wrong? Or is it suppose to be facing backwards?

• Premium Member

Good lord, that is not too confidence inspiring is it. Sounds like you were the victim of poor training and service at the Dealership. I believe the bikes come in crates with the front tire off. It was not Yamaha in that case but the Dealership that put it on wrong. I think they use the same mechanics that put together the bikes at WalMart.

I might be wrong about it, maybe somebody can enlighten us, but I know the bikes come in crates, and I think the front tire is off to make the boxes shorter and more managable, much like bicycles.

Databyter

• Premium Member

I would take it back and tell em to fix the problem free if charge...it's a quick job to do yourself if tor comfortable...I personally would not use the dealership in question anymore if they fail at a simple task...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I would take it back and tell em to fix the problem free if charge...it's a quick job to do yourself if tor comfortable...I personally would not use the dealership in question anymore if they fail at a simple task...

The problem with that is I have a nail in my tire so it is gonna sound like I'm trying to weasel a free tire from them. Had I not of gotten the nail I could of kept riding on the tire like it is and could of wrecked or something because the tire was facing the wrong direction.

bmwpowere36m3
The problem with that is I have a nail in my tire so it is gonna sound like I'm trying to weasel a free tire from them. Had I not of gotten the nail I could of kept riding on the tire like it is and could of wrecked or something because the tire was facing the wrong direction.
Agree... the arrow being backwards is wrong, but it didn't cause you to pick up a nail and/or get a flat. However I would at least show them and see what they'd be willing to do.
I am curious though, if you can simply install the wheel (tire already mounted) backwards... I think you could mount the wheel either way, since it has discs on both sides and is symmetrical. Are the spokes on the front and rear wheel "sweeping" (or angled) in the same direction (towards to front or back)?

bmwpowere36m3

Oh, the directional arrow is mostly for water-channeling... hydroplaning would be the biggest worry (maybe). Either way, it should face the appropriate direction. I've also rotated tires (arrow-backwards) when I was doing track-days in my car to get the most wear out of them.

largegiant04

Getting the dealer to correct the issue of tire direction shouldn't be an issue.

Trying to get a free tire because YOU ran over a nail doesn't seem logical to me. Did the tire direction cause the nail to puncture your tire, no it didn't.

So because of this I checked my tires and yup my front tire points back to my bike while the back arrow points forward... I knew I hated this dealership for a reason!!

So because of this I checked my tires and yup my front tire points back to my bike while the back arrow points forward... I knew I hated this dealership for a reason!!

Let me know what ur dealership says. Mine does not open till tommarow. That is if ur gonna take it back to the dealership.

Sheesh!

Does anyone know if the wheel is actually directional - I've never actually looked. I know the front wheel on my Aprilia is marked with a cast-in arrow, so it's a possibility

If the wheel is not marked, I'll usually take a magic marker and draw an arrow on one of the disks before removing the wheel. That way, I'f i;m changing a tire, the wheel will be in the same orientation as before.

bmwpowere36m3

I didn't... no mention in service manual, besides installing so arrow on tire points correctly.

The spokes are swept and the rear you can't mix up. My front wheel's spokes sweep the same way as the rears.... so there's that.

Two weeks ago I was at my dealership and was looking at some tires. I mentioned how my tread pattern seemed to be going the wrong way on the front tire, the grooves are going backwards. The guy there said it's on the right way. He explained that the reason the tread is going backwards is so the water will be channeled toward the center of the tire, that's why you see water shooting up and off the center of a front tire in the rain. It's channeling it, shooting it out. I figured it should channel it out the side from the center but apparently that's wrong. Here's some pics of mine.

[attachment id=737" thumbnail="1][attachment id=738" thumbnail="1] 

Beemer

So just talked to my shop can't go up till Tuesday but the manager said he's not sure it's possible that his tech put it on backwards maybe Yamaha put the tire in the rim backwards.... He's trying to pass Blair but said bring it up Tuesday and they will fix it

• Premium Member

The direction arrows should always be facing forward...that's the way the tire was designed to operate.......

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

My dealership is going to fix my tire free of labor charge. At first the manager tried denying that they put the bike together until I asked them to refund my assembly fee when I purchased the bike. He then agreed to fix their f*$k up.

• Global Moderator

Just to be clear, you guys are looking at the rotation arrow on the sidewall of the tire, right? The tread pattern on the front tire does seem like it is backwards to what you would expect. The arrow on the sidewall is what you want to be looking at.

Could not find an arrow on the front wheel. But both wheels have text molded onto the edges of the spokes - DOT stuff, suitable for tubeless tires, etc. On mine, that writing is on the left side of both wheels. Coincidence? Not likely. There ya go, use that as a reference.

I'd say if when the arrow on that tire is pointing forward and those letters are now on the left side, then the shop put the wheel + tire on backwards. And shame on them.

Once a front tire has been run in one direction for a while, swapping it around will cause all manner of handling issues. Had a front wheel recalled decades ago on an '82 R100RS. The dealer mounted the tire backwards. i got a couple miles down the road before stopping to see what what wrong. I flipped the tire back forward myself.

• Premium Member

The direction arrows are usually found on the far edge of the tire not the side wall in my experience

bmwpowere36m3
The direction arrows are usually found on the far edge of the tire not the side wall in my experience

On the stones it's on the sidewall...

On the stones it's on the sidewall...
Yep, Bridgestone uses a big scripted arrow that's kinda hard to miss.  
I mounted a set of PR4s for a friend last year., iirc, those tires had a large arrow on the sidewall but also had small arrows up at the edge of the tread where the chicken strips would be. 

It's gonna be different from maker to maker, but they'll all have an arrow that should point forward. Have a friend with a 2006 ninja 250. i think the rear tire (both are bias ply and small by today's stds.) uses is used as a front tire on some other (bigger) bikes. Iirc, it had an arrow pointed one way to be used as a front tire and the other way when used for the rear.  

I've mounted tires that had no painted dots signifying the lightest spot on the tire. In my experience, Bridgestones have always needed the least wheel weights to balance - sometimes needing none. Michelins are the worst in that regard for some reason. 

Archived