Sign in to follow this  
landisse

Tire rotation mark ?

landisse
So I got a screw in my front tire today and while inspecting it I noticed that the tire rotation arrow is facing the wrong direction. The back one is facing the right way. I have the Michelin's. Do you think I can swing for a free tire since Yamaha put it on wrong? Or is it suppose to be facing backwards?

databyter
Good lord, that is not too confidence inspiring is it. Sounds like you were the victim of poor training and service at the Dealership. I believe the bikes come in crates with the front tire off. It was not Yamaha in that case but the Dealership that put it on wrong. I think they use the same mechanics that put together the bikes at WalMart.

I might be wrong about it, maybe somebody can enlighten us, but I know the bikes come in crates, and I think the front tire is off to make the boxes shorter and more managable, much like bicycles.

norcal616
I would take it back and tell em to fix the problem free if charge...it's a quick job to do yourself if tor comfortable...I personally would not use the dealership in question anymore if they fail at a simple task...

landisse
I would take it back and tell em to fix the problem free if charge...it's a quick job to do yourself if tor comfortable...I personally would not use the dealership in question anymore if they fail at a simple task...

The problem with that is I have a nail in my tire so it is gonna sound like I'm trying to weasel a free tire from them. Had I not of gotten the nail I could of kept riding on the tire like it is and could of wrecked or something because the tire was facing the wrong direction.

bmwpowere36m3
The problem with that is I have a nail in my tire so it is gonna sound like I'm trying to weasel a free tire from them. Had I not of gotten the nail I could of kept riding on the tire like it is and could of wrecked or something because the tire was facing the wrong direction.
Agree... the arrow being backwards is wrong, but it didn't cause you to pick up a nail and/or get a flat. However I would at least show them and see what they'd be willing to do.
I am curious though, if you can simply install the wheel (tire already mounted) backwards... I think you could mount the wheel either way, since it has discs on both sides and is symmetrical. Are the spokes on the front and rear wheel "sweeping" (or angled) in the same direction (towards to front or back)?

bmwpowere36m3
Oh, the directional arrow is mostly for water-channeling... hydroplaning would be the biggest worry (maybe). Either way, it should face the appropriate direction. I've also rotated tires (arrow-backwards) when I was doing track-days in my car to get the most wear out of them.
  • Like 1

largegiant04
Getting the dealer to correct the issue of tire direction shouldn't be an issue.

Trying to get a free tire because YOU ran over a nail doesn't seem logical to me. Did the tire direction cause the nail to puncture your tire, no it didn't.

madcore84
So because of this I checked my tires and yup my front tire points back to my bike while the back arrow points forward... I knew I hated this dealership for a reason!!

landisse
So because of this I checked my tires and yup my front tire points back to my bike while the back arrow points forward... I knew I hated this dealership for a reason!!

Let me know what ur dealership says. Mine does not open till tommarow. That is if ur gonna take it back to the dealership.

rick
Sheesh!

Does anyone know if the wheel is actually directional - I've never actually looked. I know the front wheel on my Aprilia is marked with a cast-in arrow, so it's a possibility

If the wheel is not marked, I'll usually take a magic marker and draw an arrow on one of the disks before removing the wheel. That way, I'f i;m changing a tire, the wheel will be in the same orientation as before.

bmwpowere36m3
I didn't... no mention in service manual, besides installing so arrow on tire points correctly.

The spokes are swept and the rear you can't mix up. My front wheel's spokes sweep the same way as the rears.... so there's that.

Beemer
Two weeks ago I was at my dealership and was looking at some tires. I mentioned how my tread pattern seemed to be going the wrong way on the front tire, the grooves are going backwards. The guy there said it's on the right way. He explained that the reason the tread is going backwards is so the water will be channeled toward the center of the tire, that's why you see water shooting up and off the center of a front tire in the rain. It's channeling it, shooting it out. I figured it should channel it out the side from the center but apparently that's wrong. Here's some pics of mine.

[attachment id=737" thumbnail="1][attachment id=738" thumbnail="1] 

madcore84
So just talked to my shop can't go up till Tuesday but the manager said he's not sure it's possible that his tech put it on backwards maybe Yamaha put the tire in the rim backwards.... He's trying to pass Blair but said bring it up Tuesday and they will fix it

norcal616
The direction arrows should always be facing forward...that's the way the tire was designed to operate.......

landisse
My dealership is going to fix my tire free of labor charge. At first the manager tried denying that they put the bike together until I asked them to refund my assembly fee when I purchased the bike. He then agreed to fix their f*$k up.
  • Like 1