The MT-07 Forum

Fz07 gets cut off.

V8titanpwr

• Premium Member

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• Premium Member

The motorist looks like he just planned to drive off? That's what's most alarming to me.

Everything went braap.

Guest Ralph

Cager didn't look but you could see it coming a long way off.
You may have the right of way but your the one that gets hurt,
might is right n all that.

WTF kind of bonehead move was that anyway? Looked like the van was heading for a driveway, but ended up going down the road, like a U-turn. Not going to guess if the driver was male or female, old or young, but apparently very feeble-minded!

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

• Premium Member
phicurious86

That cager shouldn't be allowed to drive for a while... Cuts across 2 lanes going the wrong direction without any blinker indication that I can see. Yeah the asshole's wheels were bent to the left, but at that point I'd have figured the driver just wanted to get in the left lane (on the right side of the road) rather than pull all the way across traffic.

Damn, if that cager couldn't see you, they should have at least seen your iPhone case.

J/k that's sucks.

Hrm....

How are you doing after the fact bud?

Got anymore details on the crash?

Not gonna analyze what happened, it's much easier to view it and say this or that...my concern...bro are YOU okay, forget the bike and all that, hope you are all right man that made me jump.

Keep us posted dude

At first I thought he was going to brake and avoid it but no, I about fell out of my chair instead, again! (hate these videos) I don't know who that was in the video and I hope they're alright but I'm not so sure I would use that video as evidence if I were them because an insurance lawyer could say it appears the biker didn't react until the van was halfway into his lane (which would be correct) which suggests the biker was negligent by watching his iPhone more than the traffic. (What did take so long to see it coming? Talk about asleep at the wheel) Fault may be shared even though the van driver cut him off. 

Beemer

• Premium Member
Hrm.... 

This wasn't me, just a video I found on Reddit. Apparently the rider had only been on two wheels for a few months so he was still pretty green.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

well, hopefully this incident will "learn him" that you can never assume your fellow driver isn't going to do something unbelievably stupid. Was he asleep during the MSF road situations video and discussion period? Seems he's new to operating a motor vehicle, period. Condolences and hopefully that's his last incident.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Went for a sweet little ride on my KTM this morning, rode trail up to about 7000 ft and sat and watched the clouds for awhile. Rode a few wheelies, rode back down and then washed my bike.

Didn't have to dodge any cars and hit 90 mph on the dirt road back to the truck and didn't have to look for cops cause there aren't any.

• Premium Member

This is why I'm driving like a wuss and assuming everyone is gunna hit me for the first few months learning to ride. Definitely didn't scan ahead far enough though that poor fellow. Luckily he got up so that's a somewhat reassuring sign. As a new rider these videos seem to make the thought of riding a bit more frightening. Then again a lot can be learned from these videos.

• Premium Member

I bet the 685 miles on the bike was all he had. He clearly under estimated the stupidity out there. What can we learn from this?...Never assume somebody is going to stay in their lane. Even if the guy didn't cut across traffic I would have assumed the possibility that he would come into the number 1 lane and stayed back until I was sure he picked a lane. I havent been driving on the street long (3k miles to be exact) and Ive saved my own a$$ several times making cautious assumptions.

Thanks for the share!

Guest Ralph

Just assume every other driver/rider is a homicidal maniac that will kill to gain 5 seconds and you wont go far wrong.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

First thing I saw when he started to pull through that intersection was that van pulling through the yield sign. It happens all the time here, so I guess I'm just used to expecting these jackasses to not yield. It sucks that it happened, but this is exactly the type of thing a rider should ALWAYS expect to happen. I assume that everyone not on two wheels (and some that are) is out to get me, so it's pretty rare that I don't see something like that long before it happens. Hope that dude is ok and his bike gets repaired/replaced by that jackhole.

Hrm.... 

This wasn't me, just a video I found on Reddit. Apparently the rider had only been on two wheels for a few months so he was still pretty green.
I don't mean to be sarcastic but being green and being comatose are two different things. That dude wasn't watching at all. Even when they were crossing into his lane he was still on the gas. I would bet money he WAS focused on his iPhone. How he let that happen makes no sense, otherwise.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I wrote the guy this critique;

Granted all you say in your description is true, however you need to expect these things as a motorcycle rider. You will be dead very soon if you depend on green lights and laws.  
You started to accelerate too quickly when a questionable cager was doing something wonky. You probably also go thru green lights at 50 mph because you have the right of way. There is a time and place for acceleration and cruising speed and intersections is not the time or the place.

You should have the mindset to expect that a merger will merge into you simply because it IS merging and has not stopped yet.. What is the basis for this trust you have in minivan drivers?

I like to use this rule of thumb to guide me. My bike and I are invisable. What would traffic do, or what COULD it do, if I was not there, and respond accordingly.

I hope you are ok. Nice bike I have the same in white.

Not hating, just sharing some thoughts. Drive safe brother, I hope your bike is ok too.

p.s. I am also a relatively new rider, but I am also an ex firefighter that has gone to a lot of moto accidents and seen a pattern. Also I am 51 and a professional driver for a living so I have good habits engrained.

I still fly like a bat outta hell, when and where it is safe.

Databyter

The driver made a ton of violations double yellow lines white line etc.
It's his fault regardless.
I was waiting for you to go punch the guy what a d-bag.

bmwpowere36m3
The driver made a ton of violations double yellow lines white line etc. It's his fault regardless.
I don't think anyone is denying the driver is at fault... however it doesn't really matter.  You'll quickly learn that people break traffic laws or just plain don't pay attention VERY often.  The consequences in a car are usually very small (i.e., people don't really worry about it), but on a motorcycle... even the smallest accident can be life-changing for the rider (regardless of who's at fault).
You CANNOT depend on other drivers/riders to follow the law and be attentive... plain and simple.  People run RED lights, don't STOP at stop signs, merge without signaling, don't use their signals in general and lack attention/focus.
Like someone said, ride as if you were invisible and take nothing for granted.

The driver is clearly at fault, but anyone paying attention could have seen that from a mile away.
This.   
First off, hope the rider is OK.  Classic case of adrenaline right there... Jumps up right away, then seems to keel over in pain once the adrenaline wears off.  

Granted hind sight is 20/20, but the power of crash videos (at least why I watch them) is to teach and learn.  As others have pointed out, this seems to be visible from a mile away.  Even after I recognized it, he rider seems to keep accelerating right into the other vehicle.  Maybe object fixation coupled with the rider freezing up and not knowing what to do?  "Whoa whoa whoa" should have been many seconds prior if the rider was aware enough.  Not having a fully clear picture, it did seem as though there was an easy escape to the right lane.  May not have been with other merging traffic, but that's what I see... Aim for that window and accelerate the heck out of there.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

The driver made a ton of violations double yellow lines white line etc. It's his fault regardless.
I don't think anyone is denying the driver is at fault... however it doesn't really matter.  You'll quickly learn that people break traffic laws or just plain don't pay attention VERY often.  The consequences in a car are usually very small (i.e., people don't really worry about it), but on a motorcycle... even the smallest accident can be life-changing for the rider (regardless of who's at fault).
You CANNOT depend on other drivers/riders to follow the law and be attentive... plain and simple.  People run RED lights, don't STOP at stop signs, merge without signaling, don't use their signals in general and lack attention/focus.
Like someone said, ride as if you were invisible and take nothing for granted.
Well put.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Archived