The MT-07 Forum

Anyone know where to get replacement fairing?

rwynne24

So I removed the warning sticker on my bike and was being to lazy to go buy a bottle of Goo Gone and my brother in law told me to use a magic eraser on it to get the adhesive off.... PSA NEVER USE ONE!!!! It took my clear coat right off and made the part look dull and crappy!! Then of course looking around his garage he found a bottle of Goo Gone, needless to say I was still very angry and irritated, but he took the time waxing my entire bike and that spot to make it look better but somehow the sticker mark is still there and the bike is still dull ( At least I notice it ). Long story short I was either going to buy a Yamaha sticker and try to cover it up or replace the fairing yet I can't seem to find any replacement sites? I looked on other forums and everything maybe I'm just crazy, but my next step is going to my dealership and seeing what they can do for me! But if anyone has any ideas either how to fix this or has a place where I can purchase a new left side fairing for the liquid graphite color it would be appreciated!

P.S does anyone know if you can just buy the "Plastic" piece and not have to replace where the carbon fiber and yamaha symbol are? I recently installed LED's and did not want to rip them off if I didn't have too!

• Global Moderator

Yes the plastic fender is available separately, not all that expensive either
Your dealer can order it for you. Also, verify they have the proper body code. Ive ordered a couple panels and recieved the wrong color

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I have seen a few on ebay for only around 150.00 which is cheaper than I would have expected. There are alot of replacement body parts on there for cheap.

• Premium Member

You might afford a brand new paintjob for less. Maybe not, but look into it.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I purchased a red bike and swapped out the red panels for white. I ordered mine from the dealer with a discount but others on this forum got good prices from the following online places with no problems during shipping:www.partspak.comwww.yamahapartshouse.com
The above online stores sold genuine Yamaha parts.
There are two damper pieces (1 soft foam, 1 hard foam) glued on the inside of each body panel to prevent rattling. You can try to remove the damper pieces from your damaged panel and reuse or purchase new ones when you get your new panel. These damper pieces are inexpensive (a few dollars for both), so I ordered new ones. You don't need the "carbon look" body pieces, only the painted body panel. However, you will need to remove the "carbon look" panel with the Yamaha emblem from the damaged body panel and attach to the new body panel before attaching to bike. One good thing is you get the painted body panel without the ugly sticker on it, since you would need to order the sticker if you wanted it. Good Luck!

If it's just the clear coat that got rubbed off you can tape off that area and wet sand it with some 400 gr. just enough to lightly rough the surface. Then go over it with some clear coat and that should help. It may or may not be noticeable, it may depend on the angle it's viewed from or how good you are with a spray can. It's worth a try before spending $$$ on a replacement panel and as one other person (hobbs) mentioned, a paint job may be cheaper than a new panel/panels. What's to lose? You can't hurt a train wreck. 

Beemer

Thank you guys for all the responses! It's been crazy at work I haven't had time to look for anything but I think I'm gonna head to a body shop and ask their opinion and see how much it would be if not I guess I'll be buying a new piece!

bmwpowere36m3

Panel costs about $60, I doubt it's worth taking to a body shop. That's usually their hourly rate minus materials.

• Global Moderator

Wow, what body shop operates at 60 an hour?
Ive got some automotive repairs that need done if thats the case

bmwpowere36m3
Wow, what body shop operates at 60 an hour? Ive got some automotive repairs that need done if thats the case
Most I've seen, anywhere from $40 to $75 per hour for bodywork + materials, around my area at least. My father charges $120/hr for mech and $50 for body.

I know how this sort of thing can really bother someone and get in their head. It happens to me too. But keep in mind that as the miles pile on and your bike takes on more wear marks and inevitably becomes less pristine, it will bother you a lot less and then not at all. But if the bother costs more than the cost of the replacement panel, just do it and move on. I've been there.

• Like 2

I've been in touch with a guy that does professional body work and he said if it's just the clear coat (Walmart, Krylon Crystal Clear, $6.32) you can knock that gum and haze off with a 400 grit (Auto Zone, 400gr.$4) wet sanding, (videos on you tube) by hand. (difficulty 1-10, a 2) It's worth a try, if you try and mess up a body shop can still repair it. Also, if you've never done it there are instructional videos on you tube and it's very easy to do. You will thank yourself later for trying it, it'll save you money and you will get that good feeling of satisfaction knowing you braved it and did it yourself. Kinda like sneaking your first beer off ol' dad. GL!

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Wow, what body shop operates at 60 an hour? Ive got some automotive repairs that need done if thats the case
Most I've seen, anywhere from $40 to $75 per hour for bodywork + materials, around my area at least. My father charges $120/hr for mech and $50 for body.

All the body shops around my work are upwards of 85/hr, 110 if theres any mechanical labor involved 

• 8 months later...
I purchased a red bike and swapped out the red panels for white. I ordered mine from the dealer with a discount but others on this forum got good prices from the following online places with no problems during shipping:www.partspak.comwww.yamahapartshouse.com The above online stores sold genuine Yamaha parts.
There are two damper pieces (1 soft foam, 1 hard foam) glued on the inside of each body panel to prevent rattling. You can try to remove the damper pieces from your damaged panel and reuse or purchase new ones when you get your new panel. These damper pieces are inexpensive (a few dollars for both), so I ordered new ones. You don't need the "carbon look" body pieces, only the painted body panel. However, you will need to remove the "carbon look" panel with the Yamaha emblem from the damaged body panel and attach to the new body panel before attaching to bike. One good thing is you get the painted body panel without the ugly sticker on it, since you would need to order the sticker if you wanted it. Good Luck!
How do i tell which color is which for each bike? i would like to try an get these panels for my bike 1500553a6a1411e5944e123138109e21.jpg 

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

@warnock ,so you want the 2016 Matte Silver panels. When you go to one of the online parts websites, the color code is listed in with the part description.

For the 2016 USA FZ-07 tank panel color codes, I am not 100% sure, so verify the codes with a Yamaha dealer or call one of the online part stores.

2016 USA FZ-07 (you need to verify these color codes before ordering parts)
----------------------
Matt Silver  = MS1
Raven         = SMX
Armor Gray = BNS4

2015 USA FZ-07
-----------------------
Liquid Graphite = DNMN
Pearl White       = BWC1
Rapid Red         = VRC1

@warnock ,so you want the 2016 Matte Silver panels. When you go to one of the online parts websites, the color code is listed in with the part description. 
For the 2016 USA FZ-07 tank panel color codes, I am not 100% sure, so verify the codes with a Yamaha dealer or call one of the online part stores.

2016 USA FZ-07 (you need to verify these color codes before ordering parts)
----------------------
Matt Silver  = MS1
Raven         = SMX
Armor Gray = BNS4

2015 USA FZ-07
-----------------------
Liquid Graphite = DNMN
Pearl White       = BWC1
Rapid Red         = VRC1

All i actually see is this. Which is weird i can't find those color codes.  FZ07 (FZ07GB)
FZ07 (FZ07GCB) CA
FZ07 (FZ07GCS) CA
FZ07 (FZ07GCY) CA
FZ07 (FZ07GGY)
FZ07 (FZ07GS)
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

All i actually see is this. Which is weird i can't find those color codes.  FZ07 (FZ07GB)
FZ07 (FZ07GCB) CA
FZ07 (FZ07GCS) CA
FZ07 (FZ07GCY) CA
FZ07 (FZ07GGY)
FZ07 (FZ07GS)
The list you are showing is how Yamaha represents a particular model of the FZ-07:  The letter "G" represents the model year 2016.
The letters "CA" means California version, so it meets California standards.
The last letter in the model represents the bike's color. "S" is for matte silver, "B" is for Raven and "GY" is for armor gray.

When you are using the online part store's website, you reach a point where they list the Yamaha models for the year you selected and you select the one that applies to your order (FZ07GS). After you select your model bike, the website should take you to a list of diagrams. For the tank panels, you need to select the "Fuel Tank 2" diagram to get to the list of parts for the tank. In this list of parts you will see the color codes I originally listed. Try using the www.yamahapartshouse.com website.

• Like 3

FZ07 (FZ07GCB) CA
FZ07 (FZ07GCS) CA
FZ07 (FZ07GCY) CA
FZ07 (FZ07GGY)
FZ07 (FZ07GS)
The list you are showing is how Yamaha represents a particular model of the FZ-07:  The letter "G" represents the model year 2016.
The letters "CA" means California version, so it meets California standards.
The last letter in the model represents the bike's color. "S" is for matte silver, "B" is for Raven and "GY" is for armor gray.

When you are using the online part store's website, you reach a point where they list the Yamaha models for the year you selected and you select the one that applies to your order (FZ07GS). After you select your model bike, the website should take you to a list of diagrams. For the tank panels, you need to select the "Fuel Tank 2" diagram to get to the list of parts for the tank. In this list of parts you will see the color codes I originally listed. Try using the www.yamahapartshouse.com website.

Thank You. i appreciate it.

Panels are $60 from your local dealer or any OEM parts supplier for Yamaha. Look around. Used, almost new, and scratched ones are on ebay for a reasonable price too

• 3 years later...
Nickblackmon

Do you still have the red panels? I have a seventeen that is blue and I would love to change to red.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2016 that is all black.  What color code would that be? I need quite a few parts but I might just leave it the way it is and not worry about it.