Sign in to follow this  
Kwaipuak

Creaking in the front, handlebars

Kwaipuak
OK, so I rode from Philly to Waterloo to finally put on some miles.
after I finally made it to Ontario I noticed a creaking noise when ever I turned the bike, then realized I could make it just by pushing down on the handlebars or gripping them and pulling up or pushing forward. Anyone have any ideas? I can see if I can get a video.

bmwpowere36m3
Probably the rubber isolators in the handlebar clamps are squeaking/creaking as they move around well you pull the bars. I guess you could check that the nuts are tight on the underside of the upper triple clamp.

jcramin
My steering head bearings went bad at 3000 miles and made a creaking and popping noise. Another bike in town had the same problem as mine at 600 miles. It seems they cranked down the steering stem nut/cap so tight it ruins the steering head bearings which are the old school ball bearing type. Not the needle bearing type.

bmwpowere36m3
My steering head bearings went bad at 3000 miles and made a creaking and popping noise. Another bike in town had the same problem as mine at 600 miles. It seems they cranked down the steering stem nut/cap so tight it ruins the steering head bearings which are the old school ball bearing type. Not the needle bearing type.

Really, not tapered roller?

jcramin
NO not tapered. Actual old school ball bearings in a cage. BUT someone does make a tapered kit to replace the upper and lower bearings.