The MT-07 Forum

Fork Oil Level

RobMoore

I'm swapping my springs and putting in 15w fork oil today, but the service manual I ordered won't be here until Tuesday.

Can anyone who has the manual tell me what the prescribed fork oil level is and how they say to measure it (ie mm from the fork cap with the spring removed)?

forks collapsed, spring out. I don't know what the manual says for height but I use 120mm. Any value between 110-130 works fine. It really doesn't make a noticeable difference.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Didn't see your post until after I wrapped it up.

I went with 120 from the lip of the tube.

I will say again, easiest damn bike I ever worked on.

bmwpowere36m3

No worries... maybe its a "damper-rod" thing. Because of three bikes I've had (street cruiser, dual sport and naked) with damper-rod forks, they all recommended around 160 mm oil-level. Whereas cartridge forks ~ 120-130 mm...

I seem to remember my SV's damper rod forks being in the 115 to 125 area, with 105ish being if you had emulators. Bonus that not only are the springs the same part number, they are the same length, so unlike with the SV, I didn't have to cut any extra spacer tubing to make the overall distance come out the same.

Anyway, I went for a ride with some smooth corners and bumpy country road and straight highway sections. Major difference. The bike deals with the bump and returns to normal immediately, as opposed to the bouncy unsettled feeling after every bump before.

The .85 fronts seem well balanced with the rear at setting 4 for me (170 w/o gear)

• Premium Member
I seem to remember my SV's damper rod forks being in the 115 to 125 area, with 105ish being if you had emulators. Bonus that not only are the springs the same part number, they are the same length, so unlike with the SV, I didn't have to cut any extra spacer tubing to make the overall distance come out the same. 

Anyway, I went for a ride with some smooth corners and bumpy country road and straight highway sections. Major difference. The bike deals with the bump and returns to normal immediately, as opposed to the bouncy unsettled feeling after every bump before.

The .85 fronts seem well balanced with the rear at setting 4 for me (170 w/o gear)
What brand of springs did you go with?

Archived