The MT-07 Forum

Making a touring bike.

mils86

I need some ideas on what to get. I want a new seat, bag, windscreen, and anything else to make my bike in to a turning bike. Any input helps.

• Premium Member

New handle bars? Don't know if you want to change the riding position any because the riding position is already petty comfy.

I'm not sure how it would work on this bike, but cruiser/highway pegs might not be too bad. I wasn't a fan of the stock mirrors so I would replace them with bar end mirrors but that's personal preference. You definitely want storage, whether that be saddle bags, a tank and tail bag, a tail rack, a backpack, or all of the above. High viz gear, maybe reflective wheel tape. Thicker hand grips for reduced vibration are an option. A tool kit of some sort would be a good idea, also a first aid kit. Fog lights maybe. A phone mount for GPS would be a good idea, along with a phone charger adapter from the 12V bike output.

• Premium Member

It's up to you really. I think you'll want at a minimum storage & a windscreen.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Seat... I dont have an issue with mine but I've only put just over 300 in a day.

A power port I just got the cheep one http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-12v-socket

x2 bar end mirrors

Curise control or throttle lock http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crampbuster-cruise-control

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

2200 miles in a week and all i did was cram everything into a bilt explorer drybag and strap it to the rear seat with some cheap buckling straps (found in walmarts camping section).

the only other option is to buy some crap and bolt it on (unless you trade in for a real touring motorcycle). literally just buy some crap and bolt it on. post pix when finished. i'm not sure what good this pre-mod discussion will do?

ps crampbusters dont do anything but make you angry. theres a better thing-a-mabob whats name i forget. it uses the brake handle to hold the throttle open. get that: it actually works.

-HowWorkClutch

2200 miles in a week and all i did was cram everything into a bilt explorer drybag and strap it to the rear seat with some cheap buckling straps (found in walmarts camping section). 
the only other option is to buy some crap and bolt it on (unless you trade in for a real touring motorcycle). literally just buy some crap and bolt it on. post pix when finished. i'm not sure what good this pre-mod discussion will do?

ps crampbusters dont do anything but make you angry. theres a better thing-a-mabob whats name i forget. it uses the brake handle to hold the throttle open. get that: it actually works.
Hahaha I love this responce! "buy some crap and bolt it on" & "better thing-a-mabob" 
I do agree with you though, buy some sort of storage, possibly a windsheild, a throttle lock, maybe some extra lights. just think of what you would want on a long trip and put it on the bike if you can.

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

• Premium Member

Go Cruise throttle control is the thing-a-mabob I think you are referring to. I have it - it works for me, but I have not used it for any extended amount of time... usually just when I need to free up my right hand for a moment

• Premium Member

Really though, just pack 1-3 days clothes and hit the road. You'll learn pretty quickly what you really want for long trips exploring.

Everything went braap.

pantheraleo
Really though, just pack 1-3 days clothes and hit the road. You'll learn pretty quickly what you really want for long trips exploring.
Yes. Couple pairs of clean socks and underwear, a couple of clean tee shirts, small bathroom bag w toothbrush, deodorant, etc. and a liner for your jacket. It all fits in a tailbag. If you need clean clothes, find a laundromat. Good for a 3 day trip, IMHO.

The first few trips I brought a backpack with shoes, shirts, and pants I didn't use....No Thanks.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

• Premium Member

I've got the Hepco and Becker C-Bow mount/bags. The bags lock to the mounts, and the bike doesn't look too bad with the bags off. I've been happy with them

Hepco & Becker

I would want a touring screen, tail bag and a cellphone holder on the bars for gps. also a nice Bluetooth setup for the helmet for music.but the main thing is the right riding gear for the weather.

I suggest a better seat, tail bags/tank bag, a wind screen, cruise control, a big water bottle for hydration and a box of wet wipes for the bugs on your visor and the occasional 'nature calls' emergency between gas stations/restaurants.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Hello Mils86 (the OP of the thread). I have done something similar to what you want.
Details are on:
THIS THREAD
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Premium Member

I would add grip guards if you live or would tour thru cold areas. A bit less wind on your hands. Could even get heated grips. Also if you put a lot of weight and gear you might need suspension upgrades, so far my stock is good enough for just me, but I doubt it could handle much more.

Databyter

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
yes. this right here.

the stuff a new rider will take on a weekend trip is comical. and a new rider taking their first week-long trip? oh boy thats a riot.

but eventually the extra stuff gets culled. 

same goes for a lot of the bike-farkles people think are important.  hard bags, hand warmers, wimpshields: mostly useless. all you need is a bike and some gas.

-HowWorkClutch

Sorry howtoworkclutch but can't agree that hard clip on bags AREN'T important and screens. The difference that these to make to real distance touring is huge. A well designed and positioned screen has a big effect on how you feel at the end of hours of riding and particularly when it is seriously hot or cold. Also has a positive effect on your reaction time as you get furtur into a ride. Clipon bags ( I personally prefer hard cases) mean when you pull up after 6 or 7 hour on the seat you just unclip and walk into the motel room and shower. On a big trip I usually take a tank bag and kayak waterproof bag behind me. I don't like hard topboxes much though as they have much more unbalancing effect on the bike. Hand warmers I can live without though in a mostly cold climate I can see that the barkbuster type could be useful.
NO seat will be comfortable after a couple of hours. Some are better than others, but if I can sit on a bicycle seat for 24hours, then obviously seats are more about sitting strategy than padding.
If you want to be all macho that's fine. It is your right. The rest of us probably want to enjoy it a bit more.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I did a 3500 round trip to Denver so here is what I have to say:

- Hard Bags if you can afford them, GIVI or something similar. I took soft bags and it was a complete PITA to deal with. Not only did they not strap on properly, they scuffed the plastics up, even worse when you unstrap them for the night and have to deal with strapping them on again in the morning. Rain, everything will soak wet if you don't pull the rain covers on; mine didn't stay on very well.

- Windshield is an absolute must. I got a Madstad for the trip and it did its job. I'd imagine fatigue setting in much sooner when you're bobbing around all day with the wind.

• Premium Member
- Hard Bags if you can afford them, GIVI or something similar. I took soft bags and it was a complete PITA to deal with. Not only did they not strap on properly, they scuffed the plastics up, even worse when you unstrap them for the night and have to deal with strapping them on again in the morning. Rain, everything will soak wet if you don't pull the rain covers on; mine didn't stay on very well.

- Windshield is an absolute must. I got a Madstad for the trip and it did its job. I'd imagine fatigue setting in much sooner when you're bobbing around all day with the wind.

The Madstadt was my first choice for a while, but I went a different way, mostly because I do a lot of night riding and some guy said that the thing reflects the front headlight because of it's position. Well, so does my choice 2, the VStream (that I bought and will do a review on when I get around to it), but it's not bad at all because of angles and design, and I suspect this is the case with virtually all of them. What was your experience, if any, at night with the Madstadt, because I still like the ability to take it off quickly, or switch out sizes, change angles for different riding styles etc..

Databyter

Sorry howtoworkclutch but can't agree that hard clip on bags AREN'T important and screens. The difference that these to make to real distance touring is huge. A well designed and positioned screen has a big effect on how you feel at the end of hours of riding and particularly when it is seriously hot or cold. Also has a positive effect on your reaction time as you get furtur into a ride. Clipon bags ( I personally prefer hard cases) mean when you pull up after 6 or 7 hour on the seat you just unclip and walk into the motel room and shower. On a big trip I usually take a tank bag and kayak waterproof bag behind me. I don't like hard topboxes much though as they have much more unbalancing effect on the bike. Hand warmers I can live without though in a mostly cold climate I can see that the barkbuster type could be useful. NO seat will be comfortable after a couple of hours. Some are better than others, but if I can sit on a bicycle seat for 24hours, then obviously seats are more about sitting strategy than padding.
If you want to be all macho that's fine. It is your right. The rest of us probably want to enjoy it a bit more.

I used to be a tough guy, too, but the arthritis in my hands got the best of me and so I bought a windscreen that really helps a lot. I'm not gripping near as tight on windy days, which is almost every day around here, and since my conversion to "wimp", I am very pleased. Also, there are less gooey, dead bugs on my shirts at the end of a ride as well. I don't know of any women that think dead bugs on their men is attractive but you never know when it comes to skanks.

Beemer

"I don't know of any women that think dead bugs on their men is attractive but you never know"
Beemer it's obvious you missed the 70's or have just never met the right girls. All I can say if you haven't met a girl that likes dead bug body ornaments you just ain't lived.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

I have done a 3 day trip using 2 backpacks. ..one on my back and one on my chest...just be sure to pull the front backpack off when you get off the bike so ppl don't think your very very very good friends with Allah an lookin for 72 virgins. ..

Edit..I forgot to mention I have a tail bag also... The tail bag is the perfect size to hold a 6pack dount box from the local bakery...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

The Madstadt was my first choice for a while, but I went a different way, mostly because I do a lot of night riding and some guy said that the thing reflects the front headlight because of it's position. Well, so does my choice 2, the VStream (that I bought and will do a review on when I get around to it), but it's not bad at all because of angles and design, and I suspect this is the case with virtually all of them. What was your experience, if any, at night with the Madstadt, because I still like the ability to take it off quickly, or switch out sizes, change angles for different riding styles etc..
Looking forward to you VStream review. I am waiting for input before I buy one. 

• Premium Member
Looking forward to you VStream review. I am waiting for input before I buy one.
I'll try to get to it soon. Just need to take a few pics and detail the pluses and minuses.

Databyter

Archived