The MT-07 Forum

Rear set riser plates?

RobMoore

couple of questions:

would you be including the required hardware to complete the job and provide a do all kit? or will you just be providing the plate and and we'll have to source the remaining hardware?

also, will the portion where the rear set mounts onto the plate, be threaded accordingly or will it just be a plate with clean holes and will need a nut on the inside?

get this done already, ha! i'm seeing a lot of advantages with this plate since the stock position hits my shins or calves all the time and the new position would alleviate the problem…

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Yeah if I offer them it will be complete with hardware. Bottom will have thru holes and 2 new bolts top will be threaded to take stock bolts. Work has had me away from home for the last 6 months. Took bike home 2 weeks ago. I make the final move home Friday. I think I've been at my house 22 days this year. This weekend I'm going to work on final measurements and my cad model then I'll prototype and adjust of needed in acrylic cut on the epilog laser printer then final cad model will go to laser cutting vendor for pricing. So bare with me as I prototype stuff. I want them as bad as you guys.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm interested! 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I too would like to see what ya come up with.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I don't think i can make a multi hole adjustable plate as the brake master cylinder will interfere with the plate in the forward positions. I will test out other offsets, but 2 back 1 up will be my priority as that is what i want for my bike. I should have price quotes back by Tuesday. I'll still shop around a little bit to try to get the best deal.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I finally got around to testing my design on the riser plates. I had to change the outer shape to math the recess in the part that the left hand side mounts to. But I think it looks pretty good that way.

This is cut out of paper becuase its a lot cheaper than acrylic when dialing in the measurements exactly. I sent the model off to a cnc shop and they wanted 150 bucks per side... So I'm going to shop around some more. I'll keep you guys updated.

5b1c8357a63bd1d0e95098405ecd1e6a.jpg

And here is the right side.

c961e07989fcd7f1e635c8a2685119cc.jpg

I may play around with the outer shape and make it flow a little better with the bike design. But these will work as is.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see the final design.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

So I got tired of waiting for @wickedtwister to finish his production run (ha, sorry) so I made some brackets myself. The 2" back and 1" up is key. It clears all the things that would hinder other offset measurements. People will be very happy with the commercial ones once they become available.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I'm making my plates on the mill this weekend. Once I like how they fit I'll send model off for final price quotes. I'm just swamped right now at work so its taking me a while.

alexrichardson
I'm making my plates on the mill this weekend. Once I like how they fit I'll send model off for final price quotes. I'm just swamped right now at work so its taking me a while.
Wicked would you be interested in sending me the designs and or sketch up file? im in australia and neeeeeed these in my life, would strictly only make for myself and would direct others to yourself.
let me know :)
Alex

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
64a8b563acd196fb80ba1242391c2075.jpg

I had to dust off my machine manual and write the g code by hand because my cad cam program kept screwing up. Updates on how they fit coming soon.
  • Like 1

Fyi - when I made my plates I needed to add a hole on the plate where the new shifter location is going to reside. Without it the shifter bolt is going to come in contact with the offset plate. You can resolve it by utilizing spacers but I wanted solid contact for the rearset to the plate. If you look at the stock plate where the rearset mounts onto there is a recess machined into it.

Here's some photos.
20150814_154805_zpsotontd6z.jpg

20150814_154754_zpsmesf8iog.jpg

And this is the tolerance beteeen the rear brake lever to the exhaust shield.
20150814_154724_zpsipizpyiw.jpg

Lastly. If anyone is handy with a drill (preferably a drill press) and a tap (M8x1.25) I have 2 extra sets of these raw plates in steel that I'd sell to recoup some of my costs. Pm me.
20150821_181434_zpssjignhjw.jpg

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
819c202eb8c6be1efa6796742050c611.jpg

a374a3724b428456972b5ba7e5eb5daa.jpg

The fit pretty well shifter side is perfect as is. Brake side needs a small tweak to the the threads to line up better but only a few mm off.

Went for a quick ride just down the driveway because I didn't feel like getting my gear out. I really like the way it feels now. Cad models go to laser guy and another cnc mill place Monday.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
Fyi - when I made my plates I needed to add a hole on the plate where the new shifter location is going to reside. Without it the shifter bolt is going to come in contact with the offset plate. You can resolve it by utilizing spacers but I wanted solid contact for the rearset to the plate. If you look at the stock plate where the rearset mounts onto there is a recess machined into it.  
Here's some photos.
20150814_154805_zpsotontd6z.jpg

20150814_154754_zpsmesf8iog.jpg

And this is the tolerance beteeen the rear brake lever to the exhaust shield.
20150814_154724_zpsipizpyiw.jpg

Lastly. If anyone is handy with a drill (preferably a drill press) and a tap (M8x1.25) I have 2 extra sets of these raw plates in steel that I'd sell to recoup some of my costs. Pm me.
20150821_181434_zpssjignhjw.jpg

Thanks for posting pics with the stock exhaust. I wasn't sure how it would fit.

I offset mine out to clear that hole. And so I can put the side cover thing on to help cover the chain some more. I quickly saw that interference as well. I will post a how too with dimensions if people want to make these themselves.

No worries.

I was wondering how you got that side cover to not interfere with the shift rod. Makes sense.

Total poor-person's after market rearsets. And the new position is perfect. This is a must do for people with a shorter inseam or with a lower handlebar height.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
No worries.  
I was wondering how you got that side cover to not interfere with the shift rod. Makes sense.

Total poor-person's after market rearsets. And the new position is perfect. This is a must do for people with a shorter inseam or with a lower handlebar height.

I used a 3/8 plate and stacked up 3 washers. It still touches some but I'll make a spacer for the transmission side to keep it away. I thought about bending the bar slightly but that's not great from a strength stand point. Once it's bent it will become the weak point.

b958f5cfe15bccc6bcd4de38996b3edb.jpg

cfcbe112e6a96ed6afd5362f86d24441.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...