The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha XSR-700 Born Tomorrow

Cruizin

Wow. Something to really compete with the Ducati and Triumph Scramblers. I like it a lot.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It seems to be a very cheap way for Yamaha to enter this class. Relatively small amount of R&D into this one but, I like it. Its funny that ugly chromed out fabricated FZ made in the video in the beginning. I cant believe they gave it any face time. If I could find the pictures of that thing (or the thread it was posted in)...

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I like the cluster. I'd almost rather have that the one we have now. It looks more traditional, yet fully digital.

It's an fz-07 with different style peices to make it look like a different bike. Some things I saw which are similar if not the same: front forks, front brakes, gas tank, turn signals (euro version?), exhaust, engine, handlebars, levers, chassis?, rear swing arm... The list goes on. I don't like that they are trying to call it a different bike when it appears to be only a face lift.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

Wow, a seat that looks like a real seat. I'd prefer the bike if it was a mix of adventure bike and a scrambler. Look isn't enough for me. The bike is essentially a FZ-07 in retro clothes. Moto Guzzi also enter this scrambler game with a new variant of the V7.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member

New forum opportunity Cruizin!
I actually like the look. I like not hiding the tank in plastic, and the round instrument cluster looks pretty nice too. I wonder how it will be priced compared to the MT/FZ? ... and the weight?

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

And also... once again, the silver radiator is the "fly in the ointment" of an otherwise nice looking machine.
Yamaha XSR-700

Why can't left turners see us?

Aw man. If this came out last year and I had a choice I would have chosen this look. But I love my bike and I'm not going to go through the hasslehoff trading my bike for it.

I thought he was making the rearsets haha. I was thinking 'doesn't this guy know he can just order those online'. Lol. Pretty sweet looking bike imo

Too bad this wasn't out when I bought mine. I wonder how many parts would need to be changed to convert a normal FZ07 to one of these.

• Premium Member
It seems to be a very cheap way for Yamaha to enter this class. Relatively small amount of R&D into this one but, I like it. Its funny that ugly chromed out fabricated FZ made in the video in the beginning. I cant believe they gave it any face time. If I could find the pictures of that thing (or the thread it was posted in)...
Same guy, a Socal local link here
My buddy called this AM to say he is buying the green one ...........

• Premium Member
Lol, I just posted a thread about this, after checking the front page to see if anybody else had. Guess I missed it. No time was wasted eliminating my dupe thread either :) 
I guess a search would have been a better way to see if this had been discussed, but I have been browsing around for weeks and never saw hide nor hair of this. I just caught the article in Revzilla tonight and assumed it was brand new.

I think it's kind of neat but prefer the FJ-09 or better yet, an FJ-07 concept to put some sport touring on the platform.

But this will fill a nice niche for folks that want the nice engine and light frame but want a more retro look.

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
Aw man. If this came out last year and I had a choice I would have chosen this look. But I love my bike and I'm not going to go through the hasslehoff trading my bike for it.
Maybe some of the parts can be purchased and mounted to our frame, after all, the frames are supposed to be basically the same. Maybe they are using existing mounting locations for the retro parts.
  • Like 1

Databyter

• Premium Member

i'd cafe it-with a triumph thruxton seat cowl and fly screen-maybe the bolt c seat.high pipe and tubeless spoked wheels,like alpinas.it would be so much better than a thruxton or bonneville,120 lbs lighter,good brakes and handling.sweet!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

Found a link to this in my inbox:

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I never would have guessed the XSR700 is supposed to pay homage to the XS650 without reading the press blurb or seeing the blurb video.

To me, it's just another marketing exercise of having a "new" model with minimal R & D meant to promote the retro niche, complete with riding gear that's supposed to replicate what was supposedly worn back in 1972.

Funny thing to me is that I wore goofy gear like that and rode old, obsolete bikes that nobody wanted once they became outdated.

I don't see the attraction to the styling.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
1 hour ago, YZEtc said:

I never would have guessed the XSR700 is supposed to pay homage to the XS650 without reading the press blurb or seeing the blurb video.

To me, it's just another marketing exercise of having a "new" model with minimal R & D meant to promote the retro niche, complete with riding gear that's supposed to replicate what was supposedly worn back in 1972.

Funny thing to me is that I wore goofy gear like that and rode old, obsolete bikes that nobody wanted once they became outdated.

I don't see the attraction to the styling.

It certainly doesn't resemble the classic look of the old XS650--not even close IMHO.

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

2 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

It certainly doesn't resemble the classic look of the old XS650--not even close IMHO.

Why Mr XSR700, I knew SX650 and your NO SX650

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 1 month later...