The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha FZ-07 based retro bike, XSR700

mines13

mrlameslacks
I like the seat, tank and headlight enough to throw those parts on my bike. 
In fact, I'd probably go for this if it was available at the time of purchase and didn't cost >$1k in extras. I expect it to fall just under the price point of Ducati's scrambler, maybe a tad lower.

That's what is going to get people to buy this bike, looks like a scrambler. Doesn't cost like one

• Global Moderator

Like the look of fhe full seat, maybe theyll be compatible with the 07?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

thomascrown

The bike certainly has character. Not a completely retro like the w800, it has a modern industrial twist.

I can't however get on board with the weight penalty, and the even lamer ape-hanger ergonomics, or the neckbeard hipsters that it will be marketed to.

Glad it exists, as I can cherry pick certain pieces that I want for my bike, but if I had to choose between the two on the dealer floor, I'd stick with the FZ07.

Also, those Pirellis are standard issue on Ducati's sport classic range...meaning they are unnecessarily expensive due to Ducati tax.  

thomascrown

Upon further investigation, it's the wet weight at 410lbs. Not bad. I also like the look of this akra for it:

072215-2016-yamaha-xsr700-2016_YAM_ACC-BLT_90798-33451-00_STU_001-389x389.jpg
Scrambler seat:

072215-2016-yamaha-xsr700-2016_YAM_ACC-BLT_B34-F4730-M0-00_STU_001-389x389.jpg
Fork boots:
072215-2016-yamaha-xsr700-2016_YAM_ACC-BLT_B34-F31K0-00-00_STU_001-389x389.jpg

I like it! It isn't perfect but I actually like it better than my FZ 07. The seat looks more comfy, the turn signals look better and I like the forest green. Standards will never die!

• Like 1

Beemer

I like it! It isn't perfect but I actually like it better than my FZ 07. The seat looks more comfy, the turn signals look better and I like the forest green. Standards will never die!
You can put money on the NA version getting the pumpkin lights.

FZ07 Mods: Akrapovic Ti - Shorai Lithium Battery - Pazzo Levers - OEM Flyscreen

alright, guess I will finally get around to making rearsets for the FZ07 family. The current ~$400 isn't too bad but the $800+ being demanded strikes me as a tad outrageous. You can't have a retro/scrambler without rearsets. ;-)

I wish they had put the 80's classic UJM headlight on it. Oh well.

@pattonme Sign me up. Need a test bike?!

Man, I really hope there will be aftermarket replacement parts such as a full tank and cafe racer seats. The modified akra looks interesting, but its basically an akra R25/r3 exhaust.

I'm enamored by this bike.  Its funny how my tastes changed so drastically in a few months.  I loved the FZ07, but my eyes kept going towards the more retro look.  I do like the triumph and ducati scramblers, but I do not like the extra costs associated with them.  I guess I'm too... pragmatic is the wrong word, what's the word I'm looking for... safe?  Prudent?  Crap, I can't find the word that is on the tip of my tongue.  Its the reason I have an Acura and Lexus and NOT a bmw or mercedes.

This is what I would do to it so far:

dire10.jpg

Few things I've noticed. The tail frame is different from the FZ07. The welded addition is different, it has a finished, round tail tip unlike the FZ07 which obviously has plastics to cover it up.

I'm thinking how much more of these minor, permanent changes does the bike have that may hamper swapping parts for those of you thinking of doing so? Hmm....

• Like 1

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

thomascrown

I'm pretty sure the rear hoop is bolted on. They want it removable/modifiable, and I think it bolts to where the seat pan support goes on the fz07 frame.

I really love the scrambler theme. The Ducati is a no option for me because the ergos are too cramped for me. I hate the look of the exhaust of the Triumph. Sad thing that the suspension is the same as the FZ. I would love more travel for gravel and forest roads. I'm planning to replace my tires with some adventure tire pattern. But better suspension for the XRS would be nice.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
The issue I see is that Yamaha is really slow on keeping up with availible parts. Guys on the FJ-09 board are going crazy waiting on parts that they ordered 6 months ago. People will buy this wanting custom parts. 
Guys who can build parts for this in their shop, they have an opportunity to make a ton of money as supporting vendors., if they are Johnny on the spot. @wickedtwister @pattonme @rotaryryan24

The customization of this bike will be thru the freakin roof. Look at the money spent on the stupid little Grom custom parts. This thing is gonna be made into 1000 different versions by it's owners and the new XSR-700 Forum will be a fun place.

I have major love for the FZ-07, but this bike is gonna freakin rock.
If i can get my hands on one i can develop some parts for it.  I have a buddy at home with a FZ09 that i might look into doing some work on as well.  
already buy the domain name?

The issue I see is that Yamaha is really slow on keeping up with availible parts. Guys on the FJ-09 board are going crazy waiting on parts that they ordered 6 months ago. People will buy this wanting custom parts. 
Guys who can build parts for this in their shop, they have an opportunity to make a ton of money as supporting vendors., if they are Johnny on the spot. @wickedtwister @pattonme @rotaryryan24

The customization of this bike will be thru the freakin roof. Look at the money spent on the stupid little Grom custom parts. This thing is gonna be made into 1000 different versions by it's owners and the new XSR-700 Forum will be a fun place.

I have major love for the FZ-07, but this bike is gonna freakin rock.
If i can get my hands on one i can develop some parts for it.  I have a buddy at home with a FZ09 that i might look into doing some work on as well.  
already buy the domain name?

I bought XSR700.com, .org and .net this morning.. My competitors can stuff rocks! lol

Would you like me to find you an FJ-09 to look at and R&D? I can find you one quick.

I can find you an XSR700 as soon as they come out. Just be willing to give the bike donor a major discount. But when he posts his pics, you'll sell a ton!

This goes for any current or potential supporting vendor. Why not make your passion earn money for you? A smart supporting vendor can at least make his bike payment ea month, and some can quit their day jobs.

And I have the websites to drive your business. It's a win win, as long as you take good care of the members and so far, our supporting vendors rock!

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
alright, guess I will finally get around to making rearsets for the FZ07 family. The current ~$400 isn't too bad but the $800+ being demanded strikes me as a tad outrageous. You can't have a retro/scrambler without rearsets. ;-)

I wish they had put the 80's classic UJM headlight on it. Oh well.
What kind of rearsets were you thinking of making?  I was going to build some adapter plates to move the stockers back and up (2" and 1" respectively) I almost got done measuring my bike from them when it was time to ship it home.  Ill get to it in a couple of weeks.  
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
Man, I really hope there will be aftermarket replacement parts such as a full tank and cafe racer seats. The modified akra looks interesting, but its basically an akra R25/r3 exhaust. 
I'm enamored by this bike.  Its funny how my tastes changed so drastically in a few months.  I loved the FZ07, but my eyes kept going towards the more retro look.  I do like the triumph and ducati scramblers, but I do not like the extra costs associated with them.  I guess I'm too... pragmatic is the wrong word, what's the word I'm looking for... safe?  Prudent?  Crap, I can't find the word that is on the tip of my tongue.  Its the reason I have an Acura and Lexus and NOT a bmw or mercedes.

This is what I would do to it so far:

Few things I've noticed. The tail frame is different from the FZ07. The welded addition is different, it has a finished, round tail tip unlike the FZ07 which obviously has plastics to cover it up.

I'm thinking how much more of these minor, permanent changes does the bike have that may hamper swapping parts for those of you thinking of doing so? Hmm....

congrats on creating a ducati monster 696 with a yam engine. 
:D

drop the headlight a few inches and its done: budget monster.

-HowWorkClutch

If this bike comes to the U.S. , I hope an upgrade kit will be made available. I love the look of the bike and would love more available parts to upgrade my bike with in the winter. I have a blue frame, so I would have to get a silver tank and parts.... I also wonder if the bike will be sold under the Star brand in the U.S. ?????

Would you like me to find you an FJ-09 to look at and R&D? I can find you one quick.

Yeah about those forks... Though it would be mighty tough to loan out a bike for mods if you can't move the bloody thing. ;-)
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I would love more travel for gravel and forest roads.
That I can accommodate - up to another inch I reckon. Can't help with the shock though, sorry. But almost 5 usable inches of travel on the fork isn't exactly peanuts. With springs and damping you won't blow thru the stroke like a stock FZ does.
  • Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

scordiaboy515

........hmmmm, not sure what I think just yet....comments?  I can tell you right now, I want that front fender on my bike....http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2016-yamaha-xsr700-revealed-video.html

• Like 1

I can tell you right now that I will be trading my FZ-07 in for this bike when it becomes available. This is much more my style. And the seat alone is so much better than ours. I know that the styling may not be for everyone but I love it!

modmaster

• Like 2

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I don't like it. I do not think it looks better than the FZ-07.

That being said, this is trying to make the Fz-07 more like the Ducati scrambler/Triumph Bonneville. I can see how one might be drawn to it. There is a mini "Retro" movement going on in the motorcycle world right now and I can see how Yamaha wants to capitalize on the market but I think it's off the mark.

I know that Yamaha was going for a modern version of the XS 650 but the tank is shoehorned to try and get the swoopy shape of the original. I'm left with feeling that I am looking at a simulacra. A copy of something that never existed.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I like the bike, i like the idea of the bike and i think its a pretty good looker.

Personally, for me, the FZ07 drew me in because it looked like a sport bike to my untrained mind. After riding it for seven months i realized that its not the type of sport bike *I* wanted. Flat, straight lines here in Florida means that the power band of the FZ did absolutely nothing for me. If i lived in ANY other location in the united states, i would without a doubt appreciate the engine of the FZ. However, the looks scream boy racer to me whereas the pseudo cruiser style of this with a sport attitude scream mature riders machine. A bike of this style says to me "hey, im not into cruisers, but i do like style but i also want a sport attitude because goldwings are for 70 year olds".

I think the bike will sell well and in my mind, it is a better use of the excellent engine that Yamaha created.

"claims a maximum output of 73.8 hp at 9000 rpm and 50.2 lb-ft. at 6500 rpm"

Those power numbers are greater than what the FZ07 has, correct?  I was under the impression we were 65 and 45 respectively.  They're also quoting 54 MPG whereas they originally quoted 58 on the FZ.

Is this the same engine or have they tweaked it?

"claims a maximum output of 73.8 hp at 9000 rpm and 50.2 lb-ft. at 6500 rpm" 
Those power numbers are greater than what the FZ07 has, correct?  I was under the impression we were 65 and 45 respectively.  They're also quoting 54 MPG whereas they originally quoted 58 on the FZ.

Is this the same engine or have they tweaked it?
It's all the same. 74/50 is what is estimated at the crank. 65/45 is closer to what is put down to the wheel. That's where those numbers are coming from. Engine is identical. 
MPG goes down due to the weight gain. When all is said and done, the FZ07 is still the sportiest and best performing version between the 3.

FZ07 Mods: Akrapovic Ti - Shorai Lithium Battery - Pazzo Levers - OEM Flyscreen

• Premium Member

It looks like at least some of the bits and pieces won't be directly compatible for those so inclined. On motorcycle.com it states;

"The engine is mounted in the FZ-07’s diamond-type frame, but the XSR has a different subframe that doesn’t rise as sharply. The XSR700’s 32.1-inch seat height is 0.4-inch taller than the FZ’s. The suspension appears unchanged from the FZ-07; a horizontally-mounted rear shock offers 5.1 inches of travel, as does the telescopic fork. The 24.5-degree rake and 90mm of trail are also the same as with the FZ-07."

Everything went braap.