The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha FZ-07 based retro bike, XSR700

mines13

• Premium Member
you're right, @n2shotokai, I was thinking cafe-racer, not scrambler. For dual-sport 5" of suspension is going to be a little on the short side. Doable, but carefully. Just no 'beaks' please.
I was reading a blog the other day that I found when I googled "fz-07 with knobbies" or something like that, and a guy had done it with an FZ-09 which kinda has the same limitations you just mentioned, but he actually said it did good on dirt roads with those knobbies and was a lot of fun, and where it sucked was on the paved street with the knobbies. 
I don't think we are talking about jumps and boulder climbing, just dirt roads and rough roads. Certainly 5" isn't alot, but with care it could be enough, especially if you stiffened it up a little bit.

Databyter

Heard this might be a Euro/JP only affair afterall, much like the XJR1300.

FZ07 Mods: Akrapovic Ti - Shorai Lithium Battery - Pazzo Levers - OEM Flyscreen

• Global Moderator
Heard this might be a Euro/JP only affair afterall, much like the XJR1300.
Yes, I read the same here. :(   
An article on the internet doesn't mean it is true. The MT07 series was Euro only too until they 'changed' their mind and decided to introduce it in the US. The market is too big to ignore and they won't have any issues with getting it certified for North America because the bike is essentially the same at the FZ07. Same thing happened with the MT09/FZ09 I think.

• Premium Member

Designed in the US but only sold in Europe. Makes perfect sense.

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

If you guys would like stay in the XSR700 loop, feel free to join http://xsr700.org/

It's our new forum and we can use all the support we can get.

• Premium Member

I hate to be a party pooper, but I've really kinda done a 180 on my opinion of the XSR.
My first impression was, "It looks pretty cool, and I might want one", but after looking at it more and thinking about it, well... it's a freakin' FZ-07 in scrambler clothing. Not one thing has been done to it to make it a real "scrambler". The FZ-07 was designed by guys who knew what they were doing, and made a nice, new naked bike. The XSR is just an attempt to get the "retro" lovers market. Nothing wrong with that, and I think it is smart on Yamaha's part, but I like my FZ-07. If I was going to turn it into a scrambler, I'd replace the suspension, get a a high pipe (that doesn't have the guts hanging below the bike like the Akra), and regear. None of which they have done to the XSR. So... It would be just as easy to turn a FZ-07 into a real scrambler as it would an XSR. (but it wouldn't look as much like a retro scrambler).

Why can't left turners see us?

it's a freakin' FZ-07 in scrambler clothing.
Yes. Seems a waste to me when a touring model like the fj-09 may have been better received.

The scrambler look does not turn my crank. I guess it has abs going for it.

I would love to replace my seat with that seat or a wr250x/ triumph Bonneville style flat bench seat. I am happy enough with the rest of the bike though. Actually the higher handle bars would be a nice change for me. and some lower pegs. six foot frame. 8-)

• Premium Member
I would love to replace my seat with that seat or a wr250x/ triumph Bonneville style flat bench seat. I am happy enough with the rest of the bike though. Actually the higher handle bars would be a nice change for me. and some lower pegs. six foot frame. 8-)
Not quite six foot, but I got used to the peg height. People talking about scrapping pegs concerned me as well, although I don't think I have come close. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/25/2015 at 8:13 AM, jon said:

It's a copy of a Ducati Scramler, I don't like copies or wanna be, I prefer "original" like the FZ-07.
The whole theme for the XRS700 is too close to the FZ-07. The FJ-07 coming is more of a add-on to the line-up
than this bike. They should have done a full fairing version of the FZ-07 to replace the FZ6R.

This is what makes it interesting to me and why I bought one:

JD-Beach-Estenson-Racing.jpg

AFT Flat Track/TT bikes!  J.D. Beach there maybe at his win running the Arizona Super TT.   Sure the tank is smaller, but hey, they only go about 25 miles at a pop.  The XSR can have a tail added like that, one is being made right now in Greece that snaps right in place like stock.   Only negative is the 17/17 wheel set versus an 18/19 wheel set.   But I can live with that.  This is the first street bike to trip my trigger in around 20 years.  I'm digging it.  It's a shame Yamaha cannot work out something more like the Jeff Palheygi built:

Yamaha-DT-07-Street-Tracker-1.jpg

They could easily get closer than Indian did with the FTR1200, that has the Ducati Monster look from the back of the gas tank rearward.  The XSR has the potential to look a whole lot closer to this with a bigger tank, necessary for the actual road use, and a good flat track tail.  Hey!  Look!  Another silver radiator.

That is what caught my eye.  The bare bones few extra plastic covers, bare knuckle brawler kind of look of the XSR, not the transformer look of the others.  Plus the bikes they race start with the same engine as mine has, then it's built up.  I like that, same as in your FZ07 and the MT07.  Like riding  an R6 or R1, it's the same bike as the Superbikes base bike.   Here it is the same engine.  Kinda cool.

This is what I see and the Ducati Scrambler isn't this.

Neither the XSR700 nor the MT/FZ07 is for everyone.  That's why they make both, to suit different people.  I don't know how the market will go in the U.S.  It may not because of the cost difference, which I was willing to pay for what I wanted.  A lot of people will not pay it.   Clearly Europeans will.   Seems to be a hit over there.

I may try to do the seat/tail and then build a set of rails for bag supports and put the white number plate on it to disguise its function.   Put some stickers like an XSR700 graphic and some other stuff I believe in or feel I'm getting a good deal when patronizing the product or business...  Monster Energy won't be one of them.  The more like a flat tracker it can look the happier I will be.   I used to race flat track for a couple summers:

bikepics-1707354-full.jpg

Fun stuff.

Edited by klx678