The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha FZ-07 based retro bike, XSR700

mines13

I like most of it. I love my FZ. I don't like the headlight but at least it's in the right place. At first I thought the FZ's headlight was too low but now I'm used to it and it's fine. I don't like the spotlight behind the seat. The retro look really isn't for me but I can appreciate it.

• Premium Member

Glad to see Yamaha coming out with such new products. Now if they would only make a new, naked style FZ-1 more along the lines of the KTM SuperDuke 1290...

:)

- Paulie

scordiaboy515

After 1 year of owning the FZ-07 I'm still quite fond of this little gem.....I get so many compliments at the track from the other riders, most of them don't even have a clue of what it is.   Gonna have to pass on the XSR

• Like 1

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Yamaha's styling of the rear really didn't leave a lot of options for aftermarket turn signals like mine for the 07...

A brave soul must try to buy parts to convert their FZ07 into the XSR700 to see if it is possible/how many parts need to be purchased and how much it would cost.

I might be that soul, but we'll see.

• Like 1

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member

So my guess is it will cost an extra $1500? Any other guesses?
I think the Bullet headlight cleans up the front end compared to a stock FZ-07, but with a Givi screen, I prefer the FZ-07.
And they both have the horrible silver radiator, but I'm sure Evotech will probably be a solution for the XSR also.

Why can't left turners see us?

I'm a new member and joined the forum because of these 2 bikes and torn between both of them, they both are sexy bikes....I know theres more aftermarket parts for the 07 which is why I am leaning towards it. MAN.......

Honda Grom
CB 350

It's a copy of a Ducati Scramler, I don't like copies or wanna be, I prefer "original" like the FZ-07.
The whole theme for the XRS700 is too close to the FZ-07. The FJ-07 coming is more of a add-on to the line-up
than this bike. They should have done a full fairing version of the FZ-07 to replace the FZ6R.

can you imagine your insurance rates with full bodywork?
Where I live, it doesn't change a thing, a full fairing bike doesn't make it a faster bike. We have classification where a real sport bike is consider "at higher risk", for example, a R6, but a FZ6R is not consider a sport bike
A ninja650 is classified the same as a ER6N.

It's a copy of a Ducati Scramler, I don't like copies or wanna be, I prefer "original" like the FZ-07. The whole theme for the XRS700 is too close to the FZ-07. The FJ-07 coming is more of a add-on to the line-up
than this bike. They should have done a full fairing version of the FZ-07 to replace the FZ6R.
And the Ducati Scrambler isn't original either... just saying.  ;)

• Like 1

Absolutely love this... have been holding off on the FZ07... just wanted a bike of this quality in more of a retro style... and Yamaha has done it. Hope this is announced for US distribution asap... will put my deposit down. I think is much better looking than the Ducati Scrambler.. Yamaha is kickin' butt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Global Moderator

Like I said, I would totally buy this thing if I could find a way to sell my FZ without loosing money.

I am just hoping that the gauge cluster is a straight swap. It is one of the few things o dislike about the FZ.

I love the older styling, but I am not selling my FZ for one. The FZ's styling is almost like a fighter jet and a UJM had a baby. It is interesting. Scrambles are cool as well, but we should also accept the new nakeds as well.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I like the XSR look, but I'm not sad at all about owning the FZ-07. Retro is cool, but the FZ-07 is a purposeful built naked bike that does exactly what it was intended to do with no pretense, or posing to be something else. I'll keep it, for a while anyway. And if I get a new bike, it won't be a "retro" FZ-07.

• Like 1

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Basically an FZ-07 with a retro style.

I can see a lot of people being interested in this style with all the other advantages of the stock FZ.

XSR 700 Reveiled - Revzilla Article.

[video src=https://youtu.be/Zev0x9LIM3A]

Databyter

An FZ07 with essentially what boils down to factory aesthetic modifications for $500 more that you didn't have to hunt down, buy and install on a bike you already paid $7k for (if you bought brand new) that would cost you probably over $1500 if you did yourself. That's how I look at it. There's certainly a market for it and some people are just going to prefer Yamaha over the other entries in the scrambler segment. It's not perfect, but what bike is? I dig it.

• Like 1

Its a sporty bike without the sporty, trying to be a super naked look. I dig it.

As i said, its less boy racer than the FZ.

I am curious as to the pricing. I bet dealers are creaming their pants in anticipation of charging a huge excess to get these because they're "hot".

• Premium Member

Put some dual sport quasi knobby tires on that bad boy and some guards, small windscreen and bags and take it the Long Way Around with some sport touring.

It would be cool to see how the FZ platform fares on light dirt and/or long distance tripping.

Databyter

• Premium Member
Put some dual sport quasi knobby tires on that bad boy and some guards, small windscreen and bags and take it the Long Way Around with some sport touring. 
It would be cool to see how the FZ platform fares on light dirt and/or long distance tripping.
This is where I am very confused. Back in the day, Big Bear Scrambler, Triumph scrambler etc. were bikes you could take off on down a fire road. Folks here are talking clip-ons, rear sets that fit a café racer but not a scrambler. To each their own but those mods are not a retro scrambler. I am liking the dual sport!

• Like 1

you're right, @n2shotokai, I was thinking cafe-racer, not scrambler. For dual-sport 5" of suspension is going to be a little on the short side. Doable, but carefully. Just no 'beaks' please.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg