The MT-07 Forum

New Product: hi-flow 20mm pistons for cartridges

pattonme

Year 1995 or newer Sportbike which already have 20mm cartridges:

$120 includes 4 pistons and full stack of valving to suit spring rate and usage
  $80 for 2 rebound pistons and valving for FZ09/FJ09 riders and others with SFF forks.

If you send me your forks to do the installation, it's another $120 and includes new oil and oil seals. Bushings and dust seals will be extra. Older bikes on a case by case basis.

For current FZ07 Andreani kits:

$30 for a pair of pistons
  $1.6/shim (opt.)

The above applies to FZ07 forum members.

2015-07-20%2021.19.11.jpg 2015-07-20%2021.36.06.jpg

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

What is the price for stock forks converted to the high flow cartridges? Is the 400 plus 120?

stock FZ07 forks? $400+50. I updated the price sheet yesterday: http://fz07.org/post/25268.

For guys who already had their forks re-worked by me, I'll put the set in for $25 when/if you send your forks in for periodic maintenance.

The $120 is intended for FZ07 owners who have other bikes (eg. CBRs, Aprilias) who want better pistons but more to the point, a complete and tailored shim stack, that they can install on their own. The shims are $1.60 each and a full setup is about $60 just in shims.

There will be a FZ09/FJ09 'fix' kit likely in the near future once I coordinate with @cruizin.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Perfect thank you. I'll have them off to you sometime this fall.

Can you please explain why one would want to upgrade to these pistons? From a riding perspective, what kind of difference would one experience?

Good question @dizzid1320 and I will admit these enhanced pistons are pushing on the line between good for all practical purposes and "just that little bit more". Why buy the 5.7L Hemi when the 3.5L 6-cyl will get you to 60mph fast enough? Why do thousands of riders buy RaceTech's Gold Valves (not the emulators) with RT's high-flow pistons when their bikes already come with pretty damn decent suspension already, and really just need a re-doing of the shims to be spot on? They're not all taking their bikes racing.

As much as I would like to sell as many as I can make, I'll say that for street riding and casual track days you'll be hard-pressed to notice between a set of forks built by me with Showa pistons and with these up-rated ones. Maybe if your roads are particularly vicious... On the track, they are worth 2/10 second a lap. Just kidding! I make no claims as to performance gains. If I may say though, an experienced racer in Australia knocked 5 seconds off his lap times and won the regional championship last year on his SV650 and my forks, coming off of Gold Valve Emulators. He was running a hybrid of Racetech compression pistons (I supplied them) and Showa rebound.

Anyway, when pushed hard the better the piston, the better the flow, the more plush the ride. On my personal bikes I can feel the difference between one with Traxxion Dynamics' pistons and oem Showa. Now that I have my own in hand, I'll be replacing the latter.

I'm not unsympathetic that it seems like a lot of money for hard to quantify results. If I could get them cheaper I would and dispense with using Showa pistons altogether. These pistons will be the ones used when I roll out the SFF (Single-Function Fork) version of my retrofit which should knock an easy $50 off today's retrofit price.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived