The MT-07 Forum

Soon...

bozer

Hello there, 

I hope soon enough i gonna join club,  planning to buy MT 07 in a near future. Hope this is the right section for a couple of questions for a newbie rider. 

So,  atm i am still riding my 125cc bike,  got quite familiar with motorcycles in a past months,  and finally planning on moving forward to something more motorcycle like :D

I chose MT 07 as my first bike,  have a couple of questions about it. I keep reading all the reviews,  but every review keeps saying something different. In one i read its not too comfy for a longer rides,  in another its okay for longer distances. So i want to ask you,  actual every day Fz/mt 07 riders. How this bike is for longer distances,  how about passanger seat,  as i keep reading its first of the things needed to be upgraded. Kinda plan on taking my SO as pillion rider time to time. 

• Premium Member

The stock seat was designed to provide enough comfort for about 2hrs since the bike was not marketed towards long distance riding...the Yamaha comfort seat or seat concepts seat will let you ride for 6-7+ hrs and have your suspension set up for you with new fork springs and an aftermarket rear shock...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Is there any difference between 2014 and 2015 model other than colors? My local dealer have only 2014 model atm. Any rumours about 2016 one?

• Premium Member

No difference between the yearly models over than color change as far as I know...the 2016 should be out early winter I believe

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

I can only speak for myself but I commute 130 miles round trip a day for work highway 70-80 mph got it in April and put over 7000 miles on it.The bike is good at everything IMO. Very light and agile. Riders seat blows and depending on what you are doing you might have to get a few things but the bike is just fine stock and out of the box.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I don't have any problems with the stock seat on a 200 mile ride but I think my wife would not like the passenger seat.

I did over 800 kms, one way, in a day. Made the same trip home a couple days later. Stock seat.

Believe me, I,ve rode lot,s worse further.

The stock seat was designed to provide enough comfort for about 2hrs since the bike was not marketed towards long distance riding...the Yamaha comfort seat or seat concepts seat will let you ride for 6-7+ hrs and have your suspension set up for you with new fork springs and an aftermarket rear shock...
On Seat Concepts site they say they will install the 'foam' and cover which doesn't sound bad but there's a place a few miles away from me that will do it for $200 (it's more than S.C.) but they say they will install a 'gel pad' and foam on top of that. He said the stock foam is way to soft and your bum is hitting the hard stuff underneath it. Stands to resaon why I feel vibration through the seat sometimes and an hour or two is the limit in the saddle. Do you think $200 will be worth it compared to the Seat Concepts deal? $30 more, I don't have to send the seat in and with gel.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I have the Yamaha comfort seat...took about 1k miles to break in to my heavy frame at 165lbs suited up...

Here's my $0.03... Comfort, first off, is a very subjective thing. What one person thinks is comfortable someone else may not agree with. Hence the varying reviews you've likely already found.

Many things can affect the overall comfort on a long ride. Some have been pointed out above, such as the saddle comfort. Coming from a guy that rides hundreds of miles a week on bicycles, I've never once had an issue with the stock saddle on this bike. Others have though, so you'll have to just try it an find out. Luckily, even as new as the bike is there are already some options for custom saddles, so I wouldn't buy the bike or not buy the bike based on that. Most people don't realize it's not about the cushion of the saddle though; it's all about your sit bones and how they contact the saddle surface. Some of the most comfortable bike saddles I have ever ridden had nearly no cushion, yet I could ride them for 100+ miles in a single day.

Next is overall ergonomics, i.e. rider position. The stock position as I'm sure you are aware is pretty upright, which many folks will agree lends itself to a higher level of comfort compared to more sporty positions, especially over longer duration rides. However, even the rider position can be tweaked with different options for new handle bars/clip-ons and even rearsets. If comfort is what you are looking for though, the stock position is probably a good start.

Then there are some things I have not heard mentioned... One is wind buffeting. Obviously, being a naked bike, your body will be subjected to much more wind buffeting. On longer rides, this can lend itself to be quite fatiguing. Options for wind screens exist, and they do help out, but you still will not have the wind protection of a fully faired bike.

Something else that can alter the comfort level is the motor vibration. It's a twin we are talking about here, and as such it's going to vibrate more than a typical 4-cylinder will. Again, as with the other issues, there are remedies such as grips, dampening your bars, etc. Just figured I'd mention it. It doesn't bother me one bit, but I have seen threads on here about some folks having issues due to the vibrations.

I really can't comment on the pillion seat as I've never gone more than 10-20 miles with a pillion. Hopefully others can help you on that one.

So, as far as my overall opinion... If your primary focus is long-ride comfort, the FZ-07 is not the most ideal bike. Something more like a sport tourer or even an adventure bike might be more of what you want. However, if you want a fun, standard-like bike with a dash of sportiness and the grunt of a twin that can hadle some moderate long-distance riding, the FZ-07 would make a great bike for you. Either way, happy riding and keep the rubber side down!

Life is good on 2 wheels!

+1 for the answer from aeisan. Last summer, i bought a Saddlemen comfort pad for days trip. I used it maybe for 2 months. After that the seat was breakin in. I did some rides of 5-6 hours. As with my previous bike, i try to take a little break at each 2 hours period. A 10 minutes break makes a big difference. Seems that a couples of new bikes are coming with seat that look more like racing pad than a true seat.  :-/

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Thanks for replies. I believe MT07 going to fit me perfectly, as i live in a city. Long rides i plan to do are not more than 200km in a day time to time. Mainly i am going to use it in a city.

Thanks for replies. I believe MT07 going to fit me perfectly, as i live in a city. Long rides i plan to do are not more than 200km in a day time to time. Mainly i am going to use it in a city.
Then it sounds like it will be a wonderful option for you!  Let us know if/when you pick one up.  I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of it.  

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Aesian, I love that pic in your profile. What kind of bar end mirrors are you using?

I find this bike to be perfect for city riding. Engine braking is pretty harsh, but I guess that just means less wear and tear on my brakes, lol. Just be ready for the difference in torque from that 125cc you're used to. It's friendlier than a rocket, but it can still bite if you're not careful.

Aesian, I love that pic in your profile. What kind of bar end mirrors are you using? 
I find this bike to be perfect for city riding. Engine braking is pretty harsh, but I guess that just means less wear and tear on my brakes, lol. Just be ready for the difference in torque from that 125cc you're used to. It's friendlier than a rocket, but it can still bite if you're not careful.
Thanks! Right now I just have a cheapo Speedmetal mirror on there (clutch side only) from CycleGear.  I don't recommend it though.  You get what you pay for.  I think it was like $40?  I got it because it was cheap and I wanted to see if I could get by with just the one side.  Anyway... If you like the look get the CRG Hindsight mirror(s).  The issue I have with the Speedmetal is that the bolt that holds the main mirror frame onto the little arm is loose and there is no way to tighten it without destroying the glass and buying replacement glass (which I'm not even sure if they sell it).  The CRG mirrors bolt together a bit different and are easily serviceable (and CRG does sell replacement glass if you ever need it).  

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I'm torn on the style of mirrors to go with. I like bar ends, and I really like the round ones, but I feel like the aesthetics of this bike call for more angular mirrors. But everytime I see it with the round ones on, I still like it, lol. Maybe I'm just too hung up on looks. I definitely think ditching the stocks make the bike look meaner from the front.

Archived