The MT-07 Forum

Riding Space

Beemer

Although it's legal to ride two abreast in Fl. and other motorcyclists may be as nice as can be when they pull up beside you, I can't help but feel like my space was invaded here (even though at low to no speed) and take a little offense to him/anyone taking my space away from me/passing me in my own lane. Anyone else feel the same way?[video src=https://youtu.be/DWWwYqnNRGo]

Beemer

• Premium Member

Oh...the annoying first question is always.....what size is that? I'm always happy to not have one of the same bikes that everyone else has. You'll never catch me with a GSXR/R-1,6 or CBR In my garage.

You'll have to excuse me but, that guy looked like a tool. I would have been offended too. I will never understand people that wear shorts, tennis shoes, short sleeves, no gloves and then throw on a helmet.

If I catch up to another bike I will always ride in formation even if I don't know them, but if we come up to a light I will stay in my own position, not beside him/her.

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

bmwpowere36m3

I dunno... doesn't really bother me when were at a light, there's plenty of room ;) I've had guys pull up and say nothing, not even look... and I've had guys say its a nice bike, shoot the shit, etc...

• Global Moderator
If I catch up to another bike I will always ride in formation even if I don't know them, but if we come up to a light I will stay in my own position, not beside him/her.
That is exactly what I do too. It seems like the polite way to ride. 

bmwpowere36m3

Wasn't a big deal I understand, we were sitting still, I had my escape route to the right, but what about when I was moving and he passed me in MY lane? If you were doing 35 mph. in town or 70 on the highway and he passed you in your lane would you be ok with that or would you think he was some kind of A-hole? I think he thought his bike was better/faster and wanted me to know it. It appeared to be an unspoken, punk challenge to get me riled and want to race him. I could be wrong but he did make that impression. Kids .....

Beemer

Wait...what? 
Did he ask you how big your bike was?
Yes, he did but did you also notice how he pulled up beside me and revved it and after I told him his bike was nice he didn't give the standard, "Your bike is nice, too." To me he came off as an arrogant dikhead on his first bike. (shorts) Oh, yeah, then he revved it again just before he passed. Pretty much put the nail in the coffin I think.

Beemer

I didnt want to jump to conclusions but randomly pulling up next to another guy and asking him how big his engine is, is akin to asking another guy at a urinal how big his johnson is...Its pretty...flaming...

Its amazing how motor vehicles bring out the caveman tendencies.

I didnt want to jump to conclusions but randomly pulling up next to another guy and asking him how big his engine is, is akin to asking another guy at a urinal how big his johnson is...Its pretty...flaming... 
Its amazing how motor vehicles bring out the caveman tendencies.
lol! Thank god he didn't club me and drag me back to his cave! Silly cave men.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
bmwpowere36m3 
Wasn't a big deal I understand, we were sitting still, I had my escape route to the right, but what about when I was moving and he passed me in MY lane? If you were doing 35 mph. in town or 70 on the highway and he passed you in your lane would you be ok with that or would you think he was some kind of A-hole? I think he thought his bike was better/faster and wanted me to know it. It appeared to be an unspoken, punk challenge to get me riled and want to race him. I could be wrong but he did make that impression. Kids .....
I did not get the impression that he wanted a race, but I was not there so it is hard to tell for sure. I think if you pull up next to someone you should let them pull away first. Passing they way he did was a bit rude. 

A few months ago, i had a guy RIGHT on my ass on the highway. He kept drifting up next to me on the right side of my bike and it made me really nervous.

Personally, if you dont know the person, leave them alone, i really dont think that there is a good reason to invade someones space. If you REALLY want to talk to them, wave at them when you're stopped and hope that they see you in their rearview mirrors and THEN approach.

Small offense of manners for him to just ride up next to you like that and assume the right of way as you two continued through the turn.

Like you, I also would have hung back a little and let him go. All the duck walking he was doing gives me the impression he is a new rider or was never properly trained and just maintains bad habits.

mjh937

Thank you, it was a bit rude. About him wanting to race, maybe. I notice the little subtleties, like how he revved it when he got right beside me and revved it again just before he passed me. Could've been an unspoken challenge or just his way of letting me know he thought his bike was superior and was looking down his nose at me and my bike. What ever, I don't care about snobs and what they think but I do care about their physical actions that could cause an accident.

Beemer

If I'm going to be sharing lanes with cars in traffic and lights I can't really get mad at a bike for pulling up next to me. I've been passed and passed bikes in the same lane, I usually move over so it's obvious to them they can pass. Although, if you don't know they are there it can be a little dangerous and I would definitely not do it in a turn.

If I'm going to be sharing lanes with cars in traffic and lights I can't really get mad at a bike for pulling up next to me. I've been passed and passed bikes in the same lane, I usually move over so it's obvious to them they can pass. Although, if you don't know they are there it can be a little dangerous and I would definitely not do it in a turn.
Dangerous is the key word. What if I didn't see him coming up beside me and I decided to move to the left side of my lane. That's why you should never do it or be ok with someone doing it to you. Safety before friendly. 

Beemer

bmwpowere36m3
bmwpowere36m3 
I didn't watch the vid to be honest... thought we were talking about riders pulling up next to you at a light/stop. 

Dangerous is the key word. What if I didn't see him coming up beside me and I decided to move to the left side of my lane. That's why you should never do it or be ok with someone doing it to you. Safety before friendly. 

Probably the best way to prevent it is to stay in the middle of your lane. You can't assume people will always do the safest thing, especially here in California. Two cars side by side in one lane at a light, one turning one going straight, is a very common practice- what if that car going straight is actually turning. Always be aware of your surroundings, if someone surprises me coming up behind me I wasn't paying enough attention.

• Premium Member

If I come upon another biker in my lane I ride in formation but i rarely but 99% of the time I never pull right next to them...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

cndnmax

I agree, that probably would work to keep them back and be ok to do if no cars were in front of you but it doesn't happen often enough to justify riding center behind cars, which are usually in front of me. I just feel that since you see things on the road that could make you wreck way more than the occasional jerk invading your space it's best to stay to the side of a car so you can see things well in advance and avoid hitting them and have a shorter escape route.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I would never pass in the same lane unless it was with someone I knew and there was communication that it was going to happen.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

travisaurusrex

This is where I'm at. I imagine that cagers get a little antsy when bikes split lanes past them, too. I don't think he should have done that in a turn lane like he did and you handled the situation well but it didn't seem like a big deal. I certainly wouldn't want another bike riding along next to me but I don't mind if someone wants to pass me.

• Global Moderator

It annoys me when somebody pulls up besides me. I usually don't and I especially take care that I don't overtake the guy in the same lane. What also annoys me is that is he totally not dressed for riding with his shorts and shoes and even his body position irritates me.

I also get asked a lot how big the bike is but I rarely give them a honest answer. I vary the displacement from 125cc to 1.6 liter, whatever I feel like.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Yes I feel the same way you do. He should not have passed you like that. If I come up to another bike at a light I stop halfway back to make it clear I'm not going in front of them. He probably doesn't know a thing about bike etiquette. Passing while moving isn't safe unless you motioned for him to go ahead.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with him coming up to your side once you stopped. It's normal in group riding to take up all the space at a stop. I know you two weren't on a group ride together, but like as other's mentioned, there's lots of room. What he did wrong was "take the lead" when it wasn't his to take. You were there first and unless you gave him permission to pass, he shouldn't have ridden next to you.

There's no parallel riding, staggered is how it should always be done. Like you said @beemer, it's not safe.

If you think that's riding in your bubble...  (rofl)
gESzv_1CIrG3Ws8ubOFc.jpg

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived