The MT-07 Forum

Switching from a cruiser

shmengy

Hi Folks.

Thinking of getting an FZ07, but suffer from cruiser mentality - bigger is better.

First bike was a Vstar 1100, and I am concerned that I may find a 700 cc bike under powered. I know that there are many differences between the engines and the gearing.

I was wondering if any one else had made the transition and what their opinion was.

I am not looking for something to break dry land speed records. I simply want to kick around in the city and occasionally hit the country roads. I very rarely go over 80 mph.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Cheers.

I down-sized from a 2012 Triumph Bonneville T 100 to the FZ 7.  The "7" is a 100 lbs lighter , handles much better and has plenty of power .  I don't think you will be disappointed 

• Premium Member

I went from a Boulevard to this bike, and it is like night and day. So much more fun. The 150lb weight savings really helped too.

• Premium Member

I would say if you stay under 80mph most the time then the FZ although relatively small displacement, will still rip your panties off.

bmwpowere36m3

My dad's HD softail is like a diesel... it just pulls and you need to short-shift (don't like being rung out). Whereas the FZ-07 builds power higher up and likes to be rung out. Too me, the FZ-07 feels faster than the HD (1340cc)... as long as you keep the rpm above 3-4k.

My dad took the FZ-07 for a ride and said it was like riding a big scooter with a big engine... So different perspectives I guess. I love his softail too, it just glides over everything, sounds mean (V&H straights) and pulls like a freight train. Its more "gansta" ;), whereas the FZ-07 is more "sporty" or "precise".

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
Hi Folks.  
Thinking of getting an FZ07, but suffer from cruiser mentality - bigger is better.

First bike was a Vstar 1100, and I am concerned that I may find a 700 cc bike under powered. I know that there are many differences between the engines and the gearing.

I was wondering if any one else had made the transition and what their opinion was.

I am not looking for something to break dry land speed records. I simply want to kick around in the city and occasionally hit the country roads. I very rarely go over 80 mph.

Cheers.
isnt that a pushrod motor?  thats bigger for sure but not better. 

the fz07 will easily out-run that vstar. and its more comfortable.

i hope you are able to pull yourself away from the black-hole that is the cruiser fashion parade. real motorcycles are a lot more enjoyable.

-HowWorkClutch

Shiny and Chrome!!!!

If you're not doing alot of highway miles and you want something to rip around the city on, i really dont think you're going to find a better bike short of a dual sport or something else LIKE the FZ07.

There is something to be said for a bike that is light weight, handles well and does indeed have some seriously awesome performance from 0-60.

I still own my Roadstar 1700. They are 2 different beasts altogether! The FZ is supper zippy, light and agile and out accelerates the Roadstar by a mile....but it is no where as comfortable as the big roadie on a long cruise and/or riding 2up. I love having both as they both are so different in how they ride/handle

bmwpowere36m3
I still own my Roadstar 1700. They are 2 different beasts altogether! The FZ is supper zippy, light and agile and out accelerates the Roadstar by a mile....but it is no where as comfortable as the big roadie on a long cruise and/or riding 2up. I love having both as they both are so different in how they ride/handle
Exactly... I like to cruise on the Harley and rip on FZ-07.

• Premium Member

1st Take a test ride if you can.

I ride 130 miles a day on the highway @ 80mph( $6 a day for gas). I've put over 7000 miles in less than 3 month. Bike is plenty fast and fun to ride. even in 6th gear going 80 it will pull up to 100/110 mph quick but after that its about out of steam.

You are on a FZ-07 sight so of course we are going to tell you this bike is great but its true IMO.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Global Moderator

If anything I would say that smaller is better and not the other way around. Weight to power ratio is way better, it is easier to handle (and move around in the shed). You are more 'one' with the bike on a light machine.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome shmengy! I have a Honda Shadow Aero and an FZ07. I love them both and they get equal seat time. You didn't say whether you still had your v star but if you still like it and can afford to keep it I recommend keeping it and getting an 07 too. The two really can't be compared because they are so very different.

The riding styles couldn't be more different. With the cruiser you twist the throttle and 5 seconds later you start moving. The Yammie will rip your arms out of their sockets. ;)

The 07 isn't underpowered unless you are a huge guy and it sounds like for the riding you want to do, the 07 is a good choice.

The seat height can be unsettling at first if you are used to the low cruiser but it can be managed.

How much riding experience do you have?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Seriously, having an FZ 07 with a "standard" riding position which is comfortable and definitely more aggressive than a cruiser, lighter, plenty of torque, 0-60 in 3.3 sec. and can get good gas mileage (if your throttle hand isn't a psycho) and more maneuverable/controllable is definitely a step up (especially in city riding) even though it's a smaller, maybe less powerful bike but you have to think about power to weight ratio, it's 397 lbs. wet and it can put your lunch in your pants ... not that you would want that in a bike.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

Hey, @hippiebikerchick, did you get a hair cut? Looks great! :D

Hi Folks.  

Cheers.
I echo what every one else says. I had a VStar 650, smaller bike, but same premise. For me the FZ-07 is more comfortable and definitely more agile. before I bought the FZ-07, I was looking at a VStar 1300, HD, maybe even a Ninja 1000. But once I checked out the FZ-07, I was hooked, I will never have another cruiser, these bikes are just to fun.

• Premium Member

I have had a metric cruiser (Yamaha 1300 Tourer), a giant scooter (Suzuky Burgman 650) and now the Fz-07.
The Tourer was over 710 lb, the Suzuki over 600, the fz-07 400 lb soaking wet.
The Tourer had more power (about 85 hp) but it was so heavy that while nice on the HWY it really was not good in the twisties.
The Burgman was very maneuverable, and had enough power( 54 hp) but it sounded like sewing machine on steroids...
If your right wrist likes to "rotate", hold tight to the handlebar of the FZ-07, otherwise you'll fall out of the back :)

Marco

but Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Premium Member

I like what everyone has said. It is the only bike I've owned, but it's definitely not underpowered and has a better power to weight ratio than virtually all cruisers, so that is true by definition.

Databyter

Databyter

I would like to thank everyone for the great feedback. It has really helped me with the thought process and decision.

Not only will I do a test drive, I will probably rent one for a weekend since I think that way I will get the best feeling for the bike.

The aspect that I like the most is the riding position. I did have a BMW K1200RS for a couple of years so I am familiar with the upright riding position.

I am well aware that the 07 won't have the same power as the BMW, but I never even came close to using its full potential.

• 1 year later...

Came from a Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1500cc cruiser after many years. Like the seat of the pants excitement on the FZ-07 versus the big sofa comfort of the cruiser. The cruiser was ideal for long haul trips as it was rock solid at speed on a highway and nimble enough about town but it just wasn't a bike you could have a lot of fun on. After riding the Mae Hong Son loop of 1864+ curves in Thailand I was very grateful for the engine braking of the Yamaha and the nimbleness in the corners despite some need for a better suspension set up at high speeds. Love the FZ-07!

Archived