The MT-07 Forum

Grooved Pavement

prediddy

motopavement_zpsdtosa03z.png

Wow! Do not remember any chat about it in MSF class, but talk about a wake up call on my morning commute.
Had about 3 miles of road that was all chewed up, could not believe how squirrely the bike was, weaving all over, wheels felt like they were kicking out constantly.

For all they tried to warn us about during class, this was by far the most unsettling experience I've had on the bike as a new rider, and I really can't believe they didn't address this (or if so they glossed right over it fast enough I didn't notice).

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

you dont lose any traction on grooved pavement. it merely feels like it because the wheel is fighting the grooves. its a bit unsettling but otherwise harmless.

the fz07 with bridgestone tires seems to handle grooved pavement in stride. my harley, on the other hand, feels like its on solid ice.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

It can catch you by surprise. The best thing is to stay loose and let the bike hunt for traction.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Just remain relaxed. Grooved pavement is easy to ride. Or maybe it's easy for me because I rode enduros for 20 years.

The worst is when they pave one lane but leave the other scrapped and 3 inches lower.

Ever try to change lanes up onto the paved part? It's doable if you can get an angle on it.

One morning before the sun came up, I needed to change from left to right, and because there was so much construction dust I didn't see that they had paved the right lane the previous day (they both had been scrapped down for weeks). I changed gradually as I normally would instead of sharply like I would if I had known.

My front tire fought to get up onto the pavement for a few microseconds and then popped up and immediately started a violent head shake for about 2 full seconds and then settled back down. This was on my SV650 without a steering damper. I didn't even know what was going on at first. I just held the bars loose and let it happen, like I try to do every time I get surprised by a loss of traction or something.

Archived