The MT-07 Forum

Gilles Tooling Speedo Relocation Bracket Just Arrived

dizzid1320

Took exactly two weeks from the order date to arrive. Installed it last night and rode the bike to work today.

First impressions, solid construction, as expected from Gilles. Another thing fitting of the brand - it's expensive for what it is.

I contacted Gilles about the part directly, using the Contact Us page on their website. The next day I got an email from Shift-Tech Carbon saying Gilles had forwarded my pat request and said they will invoice me if I want to order the part and it will take 2-3 weeks from the order date till they receive and then ship it out to me. The part arrived sooner than I expected and Shift-Tech was very quick to respond to my emails.

After riding with it this morning, I definitely like the new position and it feels more like what I was used to on my faired sport bike in that I can now roll my eyes down without needing to move my head (the Woodcraft clip-ons and Driven rearsets really complete the package). If I could change anything, I would like the gauges to be angled more directly towards me.

Here it is:
What comes in the package. New longer stainless M6 bolts, two brackets, and the holder. No instructions, you'll easily figure it out.
c5c039a52719ac53a9924586ebe2445b.jpg

Before:
5060035de0564011919b04c16ba8775f.jpg

After:
e702b44aaab11e580a9ae1714e61e838.jpg

Can you take a picture from the side to show how far the gauges stick out compared to the head light?

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Cool beans. Sucks that it looks like it wouldn't work with any kind of screen.

scordiaboy515

.......that's spanky, if I ever put my bike back on the street I will purchase one 8-)

• Premium Member

Nice!

MOAR PICS!  Lol.

I'd love to see some more non-close up shots...

:)

- Paulie

To each his own but I don't like the way it looks.
Makes the front not flow as smooth and now no windscreen will fit.

• Global Moderator
To each his own but I don't like the way it looks. Makes the front not flow as smooth and now no windscreen will fit.
I agree bats, the relocation just doesnt fit right and the front gets squared off too much imo.
If there was one that worked with a short windscreen i'd get that

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I also agree that it makes the front lose some of its smooth look. Functionally, I love it. Aesthetically, not so much. I'll be toying with a fabricating a new bracket that will mount it directly over the ignition switch and relocating the switch to someplace on the side of the bike...I dunno...Not sure yet. It would take a lot of fab work and need to make sure the clutch and throttle cables can be rerouted to not cause any interference or sticky cable pulls. My initial gut feeling is the effort wouldn't be worthwhile.

As far as a windscreen goes, I think they are all ugly so not worried about that part. Nakeds should be free of engine fairings and windscreens. Anything with one and not the other looks like a confused motorcycle - a bi-curious bike, experimenting in its adolescence.

scordiaboy515

This was my quick and easy fix.....I whipped these up, nothin fancy but gets the job done...4mz5Lcp.jpg

I like it, but I'm not in love with it.

It's such a simple thing to do, I think I'll eventually take a stab at fabbing something myself.

For some reason, seeing these pics also reaffirm my desire to relocate those ugly throttle cables down below the bars. Anyone running lower bars without the stock mirrors should get what I'm saying. The cables then become the thing that sticks up the most on the bike and they stick out like a sore thumb.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Global Moderator
This was my quick and easy fix.....I whipped these up, nothin fancy but gets the job done...4mz5Lcp.jpg
This was a temporary fix i had in mind for mine... until i can make or buy a replacement bracket

It's such a simple thing to do, I think I'll eventually take a stab at fabbing something myself.

For some reason, seeing these pics also reaffirm my desire to relocate those ugly throttle cables down below the bars. Anyone running lower bars without the stock mirrors should get what I'm saying. The cables then become the thing that sticks up the most on the bike and they stick out like a sore thumb.

I have the sams issue... bough the crg arrow mirrors and im always annoyed at the look of the cabling.
Saw a used one at the local dealership that had the cables routed below but the guy had half-assed it and didnt really do more than kink one of the cables

• Premium Member

^ this 
I've been thinking about doing a quick throttle from Domino...their cable management looks like a work of art.  Not surprising since they are from Italy.  I was going to experiment with that when I install the Woodcraft 1.5 bars in the down position, but I don't think it'll ever come to that.

My schedule is so busy lately I'd rather be riding now that wrenching...that, and I like the look of the Suburban Machinery bars better.  I honestly think there won't be too much of a difference in position, and I really like the set up I have now so...why change it?

Any more aggressive and maybe it won't feel right with the rearsets I have, and if it does feel lower I'm not sure I'll like it for long trips, etc.

I don't want to screw up the balance I created in building my FZ, so I'll prob leave well enough alone and just do a quick shifter and wheels when they become available.  Maybe then I'l do the throttle cables :)

- Paulie

^ this 
I've been thinking about doing a quick throttle from Domino...their cable management looks like a work of art.  Not surprising since they are from Italy.  I was going to experiment with that when I install the Woodcraft 1.5 bars in the down position, but I don't think it'll ever come to that.

My schedule is so busy lately I'd rather be riding now that wrenching...that, and I like the look of the Suburban Machinery bars better.  I honestly think there won't be too much of a difference in position, and I really like the set up I have now so...why change it?

Any more aggressive and maybe it won't feel right with the rearsets I have, and if it does feel lower I'm not sure I'll like it for long trips, etc.

I don't want to screw up the balance I created in building my FZ, so I'll prob leave well enough alone and just do a quick shifter and wheels when they become available.  Maybe then I'l do the throttle cables :)

- Paulie
I'm with you, Paulie.  I think I'm sticking with the M1's for a while.  I like them a lot.  I try to leave most of the wrenching for the winter when I can't ride as much (or don't want to ride as much is more like it ha).  Maybe in a year or so I might run out of other things to do and swap the bars out, but for now they are staying.   
Interesting about the quick throttle.  I'd be interested in how it looks if you ever do that. I'm still planning to put an R6 tube on there, but if there's another cleaner option I'd consider it.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

Here's my quick and easy solution to a better view. When I installed my bar backs I decided to do something with the instrument cluster to make it easier to see. It's amazing what you can do with a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum, a bench vice, some drills, a hacksaw, and assorted files.

modmaster
IMG_2106_zpsp5yr6u45.jpg~original  

scordiaboy515
Here's my quick and easy solution to a better view. When I installed my bar backs I decided to do something with the instrument cluster to make it easier to see. It's amazing what you can do with a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum, a bench vice, some drills, a hacksaw, and assorted files. 
modmaster
IMG_2106_zpsp5yr6u45.jpg~original  

Nice job! 

Unfortunately, with the Woodcraft clip-ons, I cannot rotate the throttle tube housing to be on the bottom of the bars - it hits the side plastic long before reaching full lock. This might work for stock bars.

• Global Moderator
Unfortunately, with the Woodcraft clip-ons, I cannot rotate the throttle tube housing to be on the bottom of the bars - it hits the side plastic long before reaching full lock. This might work for stock bars.
It doesnt work for sttock, unfortunately the cables will have no way to clear the brake lever, unless you point them at the ground. Then they run into the plastics if you turn them to full lock

• 1 year later...

I was thinking about it, so I could then have more bar to put my phone (iPhone plus) holder in the middle. Thx for the pics!!!

Safe riding!

• Premium Member
Life would be better with the xsr700 tach.  
[url=] http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/yamaha-xsr700-revealed/27967.html [/url]
A bit late to the party here but I wholeheartedly agree on that ^ tach you've listed. I really really dislike this hideous thing we're stuck with. I imagine the overall engineering costs involved for an aftermarket tach makes it a pointless endeavour. I haven't seen anyone with an alternate display.  
Even this fz09 tach is more appealing...
http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/Yamaha-FZ8-15.jpg

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Life would be better with the xsr700 tach.  
[url=] http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/yamaha-xsr700-revealed/27967.html [/url]
A bit late to the party here but I wholeheartedly agree on that ^ tach you've listed. I really really dislike this hideous thing we're stuck with. I imagine the overall engineering costs involved for an aftermarket tach makes it a pointless endeavour. I haven't seen anyone with an alternate display.  
Even this fz09 tach is more appealing...
http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/Yamaha-FZ8-15.jpg

Fz8! ;)

Safe riding!

Archived