The MT-07 Forum

A lesson in loctite...

yamobethere

yamobethere

I just installed my Yoshi fender eliminator this weekend and it looks awesome if I do say so myself. So awesome that I decided to ride to work this morning. Got off my bike andddd my license plate is gone.

Use loctite folks, I sure wish I did...

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Good tip! Hubs plate was dangling by one bolt the other day - we had to beg a piece of wire for a field repair.

Illegitimi non carborundum

bmwpowere36m3

I still have the dealer supplied liscense plate frame with plastic "bolts"... holding strong, YMMV.

• Premium Member

Bummer! I don't have any loctite on either of my Yoshi plates and haven't had anything get loose....

But maybe make it a weekly habit to check all the nuts/bolts/fasteners on your bike are all tight? Bikes are pretty good at vibrating things loose.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Huh, my Yoshi fender eliminator came with nylock bolts. Those suckers aren't getting vibrated off. Perhaps you installed it incorrectly? (*ducks*)

• Premium Member
Huh, my Yoshi fender eliminator came with nylock bolts. Those suckers aren't getting vibrated off. Perhaps you installed it incorrectly? (*ducks*)
Mine too. 

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Well hubs put a Graves fender eliminator on his FZ09 so I don't know what came with it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

As an engineer, my 2 cents: If there is not a nylock nut, always use loctite. This is especially true on motorcycles which see a lot of vibration. it is cheap insurance. Each screw only needs a drop so a $6 bottle goes far.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member
I just installed my Yoshi fender eliminator this weekend and it looks awesome if I do say so myself. So awesome that I decided to ride to work this morning. Got off my bike andddd my license plate is gone. 
Use loctite folks, I sure wish I did...

I would advise using nuts with the nylon inserts where possible. I used them for my plate. They do not come loose and unlike Loctite are very easy to disassemble if need be. 

Loctite, Lockwire or locking nuts are the only way to go with high vibration machines like aircraft and motorcycles. Loctite has the added benefit of keeping the bolts from corroding in place.

My dealer put plastic nuts and bolts on my and they have never come loose. Also wont ever rust/corrode

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

Archived