The MT-07 Forum

After Exhaust install what needs doing?

username

• Premium Member

So i lazily searched the forum for an answer but found no results. Question is with an aftermarket exhaust do you need to flash the stock ECU or do you have to equip your bike with one of those fancy pants EJK or Power Commander units? I'm going to be buying the IXIL L3XB pretty soon and was curious as to what else is involved in the install process aside from just slapping the exhaust pipes on the bike. Also what happens if you just install the pipe and don't do anything else? No flash, just go about your merry ol' way riding around.

• Global Moderator

I think it depends on the exhaust, but most of them have a lamda port that allows for operation without flashing the ecu. However there are probably quite a few members that would agree with me saying the 2wheeldynoworks flash may not be mandatory but should be on everyones upgrade list

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

after installing your loud exhaust the next thing to do is wait for a nice policeman to stop you and give you a ticket. good luck

• Premium Member

I doubt i will get a ticket for having a loud bike because A. this exhaust is pretty tame from what I've heard and B. i think that if Harley owners aren't getting tickets I'm in the clear. The only time i've ever even seen a biker get pulled over where i live is when it was rainging and said biker was riding the shoulder in a traffic jam to take cover under a bridge.

I doubt i will get a ticket for having a loud bike because A. this exhaust is pretty tame from what I've heard and B. i think that if Harley owners aren't getting tickets I'm in the clear. The only time i've ever even seen a biker get pulled over where i live is when it was rainging and said biker was riding the shoulder in a traffic jam to take cover under a bridge.
This, my bike is 2-3x more exciting to ride now after installing an exhust 
sounds so good, if I get pulled over, it's worth it

• Premium Member

I just changed out my exhaust and have not done anything else, no fuel controller or flash.
The bike runs fine without any problems, has been a week now that I have the new exhaust.
I have pulled next to cops and have rode past them without any problem or lights flashing be hide me so I think I'm good.
I think it depends on what city you live in, I'm in NYC and everything is loud here...lol

bmwpowere36m3

You don't NEED to do anything... but the bike won't run optimally without a fuel controller or flash of some kind.

after installing your loud exhaust the next thing to do is wait for a nice policeman to stop you and give you a ticket. good luck
I've been given a few thumbs up by both MPD and Shelby County, but not any tickets thus far.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

You don't NEED to do anything... but the bike won't run optimally without a fuel controller or flash of some kind.
+1

• Premium Member

If the pipes turn deep blue and the temp readout goes up much, you leaned things out and need more fuel. If not, it's probably of no real concern.

Everything went braap.

+1

• Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. So I didn't do the smart thing and go through Dobeck. But I did buy the EJK from them and the L3XB so they should work out well together because there is a setting on the EJK for the L3XB exhaust. Is there anything else in the stage 1?

• Premium Member

Depends on the exhaust, and not sure about the Ixil.
My Akra Ti with baffle runs better than stock with no ECU mods or fuel controller.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member

Ya aren't the Akro's meant to just slap on and go? There has to be one forum member that has the EJK and L3XB on this site somewhere. Anyways I'll keep you posted if my bike explodes after install or something cool like that

If you ask me, even stock everything needs refueling. I'm sure many others on here would agree with me. It runs real lean from the factory.

Archived