The MT-07 Forum

Now what do I do?

fz07nc

missourifz07

If the dogs have owners and the owners have personal liability insurance(which is typically attached to a homeowners or renters policy)that would be your best chance of getting your bike fixed. Laws vary from state to state but her in Missouri the owner of that dog(s) would be responsible. I would contact animal control. Chances are they may already know who you're talking about. They could go investigate and determine who's dogs they are. Call the police and file a report. They can then follow up the animal controls report. Find out if the owners(if there are any)have home insurance or any personal liability insurance and send them a bill!! They should contact their agent or company and file a claim. In my opinion, that is your best chance to get anything done. Best of luck!!

I see you had protection for the bike, now what about you ?
I had a AGV K3 helmet, a BILT jacket (w/armour), Alpinestars gloves (not gauntlet), jeans, and BILT riding boots.   
My knee took the worst of it.  Definitely makes me wish I had some pants with knee sliders.

Glad your okay. Asses the damage to yourself, medical costs and bike, parts. Then determine if it's more than your deductible. Depending, it might not be worth filing with the insurance company as rates might increase. 
I don't see anywhere near $1k in bike damage, I'd venture around $500 not including labor. Filing a police report won't hurt, but as mentioned the only people that can be held accountable might be the dogs owners. Also worth noting some insurance companies or policies don't cover collisions with animals. So best to do your homework first.

It's not worth it to file the accident... I called and spoke with my agent and found out that motorcycle insurance and deductibles are assessed on a per incident basis.  Since the totals are not over $1000 (bike damages and medical), I'm not going to bother with a claim.

I feel your pain but just be glad you are ok and fix up your bike and ride another day. 
Odds are nothing will come of it but you do what you feel you should. Most the time you will be wasting a ton of time ad money just to prove a point.
10-4 Jake... 
On top of everything else, I live about 7 hours away from the accident site.  I can't stroll by the property in my car to see if the dogs are still roaming around.  I did call the Blount County Police and they said they would send someone out to the house to snoop around.  I haven't received a call back yet [and I probably won't].

The police also told me that it was illegal to NOT to file a report at the time of the accident.  It makes sense... they can't back-date a week and try to re-create my accident.  Even if I do have video of it.

Do as others have mentioned, find out for sure who's dogs they belong to because I'm sure they have leash laws there and should be contained to the yard. If the owner was negligent in doing so (appears he/she was) then you definitely have a case. Good to hear you weren't hurt bad, sorry about your bike as well. I had a dog come at me a few weeks ago but I tricked him and got lucky. I slowed down so he would match my speed and down shifted and when he was about six or so feet away from the bike and still coming at me I slightly steered way from him, revved up/popped the clutch and shot past him. He wasn't expecting that and couldn't correct in time to touch me or the bike. Made him look stupid .... like this dog! 

You tricked him and probably had him looking like this one 

130973_story__funny-dog-weird-face-10.jpg

I have had dogs chase for years, usually just slowing or stopping will confuse them and allow a safe escape. About 5 years ago a dog on my route home from work/shopping actually attacked the bike with me and my wife on board. Crouched along the road then attacked the front wheel. Guess he got tangled up with the wheel and wound up going under the bike; the dog is a large breed (Rhodesian Ridgeback maybe) and there was blood everywhere. Luckily we did not go down and I stopped to check for damage; with none apparent I just gave the owner a piece of my mind and went on, thought the dog would surely die. Turns out my wife got a large hematoma on her shin and the collision had destroyed the front fork seals (started leaking the next day) of our DL1000. Unfortunately the dog lives till this day and still attempts to attack the bike if I use that route; he will back off if I stop, dismount and go for a rock to toss at him. I confronted the owner twice again when they just watched this happen but they don't seem to care, tell me he does that to motorcycles and a local trash truck. I've been taking a longer route to work to avoid the situation but find it really annoying. I called the local animal control but they tell me since there is no leash law here.....too bad. In retrospect, I should have called police and stayed put when it happened and would advise anyone else to do the same. Could have been much worse than me replacing seals and luckily my wife had no lasting issues.
Wow, that's incredible Paul Jr.  Sorry to hear about that accident.  Good job keeping her up. 
I love dogs as much as the next one, but once they turn on you, I think something this is in order.

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5jJz2HOnY]

actually, the "MSF approved" solution is to decrease your speed for a few seconds. This will cause the vicious canines to re-calculate their intercept point, and having changed to the new trajectory, THEN you accelerate as they approach.
The MSF approved method is probably for legal reasons. Slow down below the speed limit and then accelerate back up to the speed limit. They can't tell you to do it my way because then you'll be speeding OMG NOOOOES. 
Their way has a fatal flaw. The dogs are now ahead of you because you slowed down, and you may end up like OP.

I think every situation needs to be judged on it's own, different dog different situation, I never figured a dog would actually attack me it mostly seemed like a game for them, they enjoyed chasing, I enjoyed frustrating their attempts and seeing them look confused. In general I seem to be encountering more dogs that are more aggressive than I came across 20 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but I won't let mine chase for his safety or the safety of others. When they put a riders life at risk my attitude changes. I wish I could offer the OP some good advice but I'm not in a position to do that.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Twice I have had a dog run out to chase me and both times I slowed until we were close to intersecting, then sped off. That probably wouldn't work in your case where there was a pack of 'em after you. Sorry this happened to you but the important thing is you're ok.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

My experience has been that slowing down and then speed up throws chasing dogs off. But when you have a bunch like in your case, it is more difficult. Unfortunately,
I believe that you should have called the state highway patrol right away ( if possible is better to stay away from local sheriffs and police!!) in order to get any results. The more time it passes, the least chances you will have to recoup your loss. The injuries most of all, and the damage should have been documented right away.

My dealings with dogs and dog owners are somewhat personal and close to home.
My wife is a long distance cyclist. For her, 50-75 miles ride is a Sunday stroll. And on a bicycle, dogs are a much more "interesting" presence. A couple of years ago, she was attacked and bit on the right calf. 8 deep puncture wounds, several visit to doctors and one to the emergency room for infection were followed by 6 months with no rides.

She was not alone, fortunately, and the police was called right away. The report of the local "constable" tried to downplay the incident stating that the dog must have felt threatened. Yeah, by a broad on spandex and very skinny tires...the witness account, however, and my wife's bloody leg could not be dismissed. Still, only through the actions of legal counsel we received proper restitution. But everything was started right away.

She now carries pepper spray. It is remarkable how a snootful of it take the thrill of the chase out of a charging dog. Sometime I wish it could be used on the owners, which are ultimately responsible of their animals behavior. But that is probably not the recommended course of action. :(

Ultimately, you are OK, and that is the most important thing.
Marco

Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

Archived