The MT-07 Forum

swing-arm spools/sliders

chadfi

so i had bought swing-arm spools for a stand from our local yamaha dealership, those tards gave me the wrong ones, and then tried telling me theres no way to put sliders on an fz-07 from stock without any frame modifications...any more info? or maybe links to some awesome sites for cheap but good quality spools and sliders

bmwpowere36m3

There's a few options:

OES slider/spools: They bolt thru the axle and thus make removing the rear wheel or chain adjustments impossible, ~$35.

Yamaha Billet Chain Adjuster: Genuine Yamaha accessory (made by Gilles), replaces the stock chain block and incorporates a spool. Its the priciest option, ~$180.

Graves Spool Adapter: Mounted under the swingarm, forwards of the axle, requires drilling, ~$70.

T-Rex Spool Adapter: Clamps over the swingarm, forward of the axle, no drilling, ~$90.

I picked up the genuine Yamaha ones… haven't installed them yet, but they are very high quality and the "nicest" option and look factory.

I've got all 3 sets of OES sliders/spool, you can't beat the price. You can't use the spools if your taking off the wheel but I've got a stand that does both spools and pads so it wasn't an issue for me.

For some stupid reason Yamaha doesn't make mounts for spools on their bikes. You'll have to forgo the less than optimal or absurd priced options as mentioned previously. FZ-07 is my only and last Yamaha bike.

• Global Moderator
For some stupid reason Yamaha doesn't make mounts for spools on their bikes. You'll have to forgo the less than optimal or absurd priced options as mentioned previously. FZ-07 is my only and last Yamaha bike.
You are not going to buy another Yamaha because it does not have spool mounts?  That seems a bit extreme. 

• Premium Member
so i had bought swing-arm spools for a stand from our local yamaha dealership, those tards gave me the wrong ones, and then tried telling me theres no way to put sliders on an fz-07 from stock without any frame modifications...any more info? or maybe links to some awesome sites for cheap but good quality spools and sliders
Definitely recommend going with the OES set as the best option between quality and price. Please do yourself a favor if you haven't already and never go back to that dealership.

bmwpowere36m3
Okay...
I guess people want their cake and eat it too. Its a budget bike... it "should" have a lot of things, but it doesn't.  Granted it would have cost them what... a few dollars to incorporate a threaded bung into the swingarm.  However their are a lot of little things they should have done and I guess those add up.

bmwpowere36m3
Definitely recommend going with the OES set as the best option between quality and price. Please do yourself a favor if you haven't already and never go back to that dealership.

I have the OES set... its draw back is how do you remove the rear wheel?  Granted you can still lift the rear to stabilize the bike, clean/lube the chain, etc...  However if you need to remove the wheel or adjust chain tension then it won't work. Personally if I'm going to have spools and race stand it better do everything.  You can get "dual" lifting stands (pad + spool), but then you might as well just use the pad all the time.

I just bought non spooled adapters for my T Rex rear stand, which are basically two rubber coated fingers on each side that lift the swingarm. $17 shipped.

I will edit this post is after they arrive and I have had a chance to use them.

I have the oes and i have no problem taking the rear wheel off. All i do is unscrew one spool and ta da

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

bmwpowere36m3
I have the oes and i have no problem taking the rear wheel off. All i do is unscrew one spool and ta da

What are you using to lift the rear? I can't fathom lifting the rear with OES spools and removing the rear wheel unless you support the rear some other way.

The point I'm making with "dedicated" spools is that you don't have to mess around trying to support the rear in other ways to accomplish various maintenance tasks. Can you use slider/spools, sure... but you also have to take additional steps to support the rear.

While the Yamaha/Gilles setup is the most expensive... it's also a set and forget. No messing around with other supports or stands.

• Premium Member

My lift has the option of using pads and work great.

bmwpowere36m3

Also worth noting is the OES spool/sliders require a "wide" stand, i.e., the lifting forks must be at least 14.25" apart. I know some stand can't accommodate that (max out at ~14"). For example my Vortex race stand should, just barely, but requires I remove the lifting pads. If I need to switch back to lifting pads, then I have to: flip the lifting arm around, reattach the lifting pads, reset their width, etc... Maybe not a lot of work, but extra work for sure.

The Yamaha/Gilles adapters definitely make things very convenient. Honestly I didn't think I'd be buying them, due to cost and they just weren't high up on my priority list. I purchased the OES slider/spool kit (frame, fork, swingarm sliders), but ended up just using the lifting pads on my Vortex stand. Why?, because it worked and was convenient (didn't have to swap the lifting fork/pads around). I might as well just got the slider option...

I really considered the Graves option, since it was affordable ($70) and only required drilling a few holes (not really a big deal). I just happened to find a great deal on the Yamaha/Gilles adapters. For the price of the Graves/T-Rex, no drilling and the convenience... I had to get them and I'm glad I did. Are they worth $200?, depends... does it make life convenient = yes, do they look factory = yes.

What are you using to lift the rear? I can't fathom lifting the rear with OES spools and removing the rear wheel unless you support the rear some other way.

The point I'm making with "dedicated" spools is that you don't have to mess around trying to support the rear in other ways to accomplish various maintenance tasks. Can you use slider/spools, sure... but you also have to take additional steps to support the rear.

While the Yamaha/Gilles setup is the most expensive... it's also a set and forget. No messing around with other supports or stands.
sorry if the picture is huge lol, i use the trackside stand from cycle gear, when i just clean the chain or the bike itself i use the spool side, if i have to remove the rear tire, i flip it to those rubber pads to put it under the swingarm and remove the oes rear sliders....if anything i can make a video? 1465414_10153013770648806_6993394074649666820_n.jpg?oh=f69cb5931ca560e0e48c3e4d7175b9d2&oe=565C79F4

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

• 5 months later...
They do on many of their bikes.  I've had 3 R6es, an FZ6, and now this FZ07. The FZ07 is the only one that had a swing arm that didn't come drilled and tapped for spools. I looked at the FZ09, and it does. I understand your frustration with it not coming with some means of mounting spools, although I wouldn't write Yamaha off just because of that.  I bet all other manufacturers have at least one model that isn't "spool" ready. 

• Premium Member

On my bike I had some lightly used Autobahn skateboard wheels (with a pass through rod like the OES ones). So I ended up getting a wider paddock stand. Have no front stand yet. Hoping I can adapt a future stand to my inexpensive axle sliders.

For how much I paid (US$ 7505), I'm not gonna complain about the lack of threaded spool receptacles.

Archived