The MT-07 Forum

New Matris F15 cartridge kit...thoughts?

fflier9

Right, you're EU. Buy the Andreani and just deal with it's niggles. Or buy the Matris, find a suspension shop that will cooperate and I'll air-mail you the parts and shim arrangement.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Andreani you can use as-is. The Matris you HAVE to fix. I wouldn't put any great hope in the Ohlins.
and I would definitely go with the 10cSt fluid in the compression side for the "as is" use. But even with the lighter fluid, the adjuster will be backed out the full 4 turns - it is on mine.  
The rebound side is pretty good "as is" out of the box. 

Rick,
You have information on the Ohlins cartridge? You seem very down on the product. I have always found Ohlins products exemplary. However the blurb on the ohlins says they are for USD forks which we don't have so it may be a miss allocation of the ad

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Rick, You have information on the Ohlins cartridge? You seem very down on the product. I have always found Ohlins products exemplary. However the blurb on the ohlins says they are for USD forks which we don't have so it may be a miss allocation of the ad

Soooo, many threads, sorry. 
Ohlins cartridge? Seems no one here has experience with one as of yet and I don't believe that I've ever even commented on it before this. Doesn't sound like it's even available in the US?

I have the Andreani cartridge kit installed. It's well better than OE, but could still do better with some massaging. I have no issues with the Ohlins shock that's part of that kit.  

It's really a shame that Matris did not get the compression damping even close to right. With 4 valves and being truly a drop-in set-up, I was actually thinking of selling my Andreani kit at one point (before I went to the effort of grinding the flange off the bottom of my tubes). 

Still want my "go fast" buddy's opinion of this thing before i go tearing it apart again for that "massage". That won't be until the spring - which might just show up in late February this year. lol. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just got my Matris shock and fork cartridges and while searching around for any install issues I run across this thread. You can imagine my disappointment. Of course better to learn this now that after the install.

What is involved in resolving this issue short of exchanging these for a different option? Are there many special tools required for the "rebuild"? Hopefully my friend and former motorcycle mechanic will have anything needed.

so bummed...

That would be great! What's the cost? And I've also read the bushings are the wrong size and should be replaced; is that correct? Anything else I should consider while doing this - seals maybe?

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

@pattonme I am interested in the Matris F15 kit with your fix. I know you proposed $130 as the cost to fix the kit. However, what is the cost for you to install the Matris F15 kit with your fix to it and your fix to the fork (eg. wrong size bushing,etc..).  I imagine we can just order the kit from PJ's and have it shipped to you directly, if I notify you ahead of time about this work.

@easternkayaker , I think you're asking me how much to take your forks apart, do the bushing swap, update the F15 kit, and install it, fill with oil etc? In the interest of keeping this a "product info" thread, I'll answer your question on my Vendor board area if that's ok. http://fz07.org/post/68788/thread

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
@easternkayaker , I think you're asking me how much to take your forks apart, do the bushing swap, update the F15 kit, and install it, fill with oil etc? In the interest of keeping this a "product info" thread, I'll answer your question on my Vendor board area if that's ok. http://fz07.org/post/68788/thread
Yes that's correct. Thanks for the update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
Bike is put back together, but due to thunderstorms this evening, it hasn't moved out of the garage. I'm a little bit concerned about the fork spring rate as it seems to be very aggressive compared to stock. I only get about 1/16" of sag when I sit on the bike! The spring is labeled 9.0 so what does this mean compared to the stock spring?

I think the answer is that I have some stiction plus the rear is lowered as much as possible with the Ohlins shock. Front forks need to be raised in the triple clamp to compensate. Rear spring still seems much softer than front.

Road review after two days of riding with the new forks: I love the stiffer front springs as brake dive is very minimized. This is my first motorcycle so I only have limited experience, but it's so much easier to brake hard going into a turn knowing the front end isn't going to bounce around. The damper seems fine and fully capable of handling the stiffer spring. I feel the high speed bumps in my seat rather than through the handlebar so @pattonme changes to compression dampening work.  One thing that I am going to adjust is to put the spring perch on the lowest setting as the higher spring rate and built-in preload cause the forks to ride higher than I would like. [/img]Bike with upgraded forks
@randy2100 , I have a few questions for you about the Matris kit, since I am thinking of getting it. Thanks for your time. 
What was your weight you gave Matris for the cartridge kit, since they gave you 9.0 springs?

I know the Matris kit has 20mm of preload, did you raise the forks in the triple tree to compensate like you mentioned?

Were you able to set your bike up properly dealing with the 20mm of preload in this kit and C leg fix pattonme applied?

Does this Matris kit meet your expectations?

I'm not sure I gave them my weight which is 180lbs in gear. I raised the forks about 0.8" in the triple. The forks are fine and I love that there is no harshness and no significant dive when I brake sharply to a stop.

• 1 year later...

I'm interested in the Matris F15 kit and I'm wondering if Matris has resolved the compression issue since the initial launch. Has anyone recently installed this kit recently without changing the piston and shim stack?

Thanks

FYI- Pattonme's fix-it kit, is new shims and piston.
Did you already purchased the cartridges,
No they have not corrected the comp issue, aparently they do not give a F.
I received no support or solutions for the comp stiffness after emails to the Matris factory.
I recently self installed the shim and piston kit, while its was not a difficult install with Matt's guidence and happy with results.
If your not mechanically incline with the correct tools it can be a challage.  Attached photo of cartridge disassembled.

Matris_shim_and_piston_install.jpg

husqvarnaguy
FYI- Pattonme's fix-it kit, is new shims and piston. Did you already purchased the cartridges,
No they have not corrected the comp issue, aparently they do not give a F.
I received no support or solutions for the comp stiffness after emails to the Matris factory.
I recently self installed the shim and piston kit, while its was not a difficult install with Matt's guidence and happy with results.
If your not mechanically incline with the correct tools it can be a challage.  Attached photo of cartridge disassembled.

Matris_shim_and_piston_install.jpg

I'm interested in the Matris F15 kit and I'm wondering if Matris has resolved the compression issue since the initial launch. Has anyone recently installed this kit recently without changing the piston and shim stack? 
Thanks

Hi guys!
I live near the Matris factory. Eventually I could ask them what you want.
Matris is serious about clients, I just got a new rear unit for free (after a year from buying it, and it's an updated model) because of a problem.

Archived