Sign in to follow this  
medieval

bar end removal

medieval
    This may sound trite but I'm having trouble with the bar end screws. They are Torx head, the T-40 wrench is too big and the T-30 wrench is a sloppy fit. What am I missing?

cndnmax
Different bar ends? I used a hex key with vise grips on the end to remove my bar ends.

bmwpowere36m3
Use a hex

SkH
There are seemingly 2 sizes of hex that can fit in the bar end. Use the smaller inner one.

bmwpowere36m3
The inner looks like a torx... but I couldn't find one to fit well. I used a 8 mm (IIRC) allen on the "outer" one.

rick
Really, an inner torx? I just used a std allen key - can't remember the size.

The entire weight unscrews from the bar on this bike. You could use a rubber strap wrench found in the plumbing isle of the home store

steviede
Ya I used a hex on the outter one

jake
jake
And don't forget to get the ratchet for the socket size you get, I'd go 3/8ths

cndnmax
Different bar ends? I used a hex key with vise grips on the end to remove my bar ends.
Sounds like you need a set of these: 

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/099198/099198852263lg.jpg

They are so nice..

Edit: I used an 8mm allen socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet.

I have some. I just didn't feel like going to get them. They were on there pretty tight for me.

rick
Had a closer look at my bar ends (now in a box). And amazingly, they do have a very shallow Torx recess down inside that 8mm hex hole. The actual size is T27. Would not makes sense to use this over an 8mm allen socket however. There's just not enough depth to the hole. Couldn't even begin to guess why it's there.

sorkyah
Had a closer look at my bar ends (now in a box). And amazingly, they do have a very shallow Torx recess down inside that 8mm hex hole. The actual size is T27. Would not makes sense to use this over an 8mm allen socket however. There's just not enough depth to the hole. Couldn't even begin to guess why it's there.
Possibly for overall torque spec. Torx bits transfer torque more efficiently than a standard hex by providing higher surface area for contact. Also less likely to strip when tools are used properly.

rick
Possibly for overall torque spec. Torx bits transfer torque more efficiently than a standard hex by providing higher surface area for contact. Also less likely to strip when tools are used properly.
perhaps,  but the depth of the Torx portion can't be much more than 2. or maybe 2.5mm or so. It's in there, but given the choice between a torx bit with little purchase and a nice deep hex hole - well, that's not a choice.