The MT-07 Forum

breaking in my FZ07

mhakkola

Guest montana07

Mine too, you'll love it. Light, maneuverable, and manageable power, but enough to really open it up and have some fun.

Guest unknown

I agree with everyone else in here. I changed my oil at about 50 miles and had a fair amount of shinies in the oil. Just did my 600 mile service as well and still had some shinies in there. Drive it hard but don't redline it. Engine breaking is key to seating the rings properly too.

Since this will be my first bike, is there a thread on here to explain how to change the FZ07 oil? Or can i just do a proper break in and ask the dealer to do a oil change at 50 miles and the regular service at 600? I kind of want to do it myself and not bug the dealer before my first service lol. Plus if there are instructions i can make sure it's done properly myself.

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

Lenny. All I did was go and pick up yamalube and a filter from the dealership. I too picked up a filter 'wrench'. I too picked up a funnel and oil drain basin from a local shop as well as some latex gloves. A rear stand might make it easier to manage, but i simply pointed the nose of the bike down a gentle slope and went through the process of chsnging the oil. The manual has the basic instructions and I followed them and it was fine and easy. I hate to say it, but this is the first time I have changed oil on my own and it was easy.

Guest unknown

Lenny, I will have a detailed write up after the weekend that will document everything you need to do an oil change. I've got a track day on Sunday and as soon as I get back, I plan on changing the oil again.

Thanks guys! It's just after Cruizin's thread on the hard vs. soft break in i really feel just setting these rings in properly and changing the oil at 40 miles is something i really want to do c:

"Shoot? I'm a hippie. The only thing I've shot is acid. I heard of a dude snorted it once. Thought his nose was a kangaroo and the moon was a dog! WOOH!" - The Truth (GTA San Andreas)

• Premium Member

Going to follow this guide, thanks for posting it. I wish I read it a few days ago before my girl purchased a new Toyota. It has a little over 3 hundo miles now, past the point of no return? I do plan to change her oil asap.

Question: Will the FZ come from the dealer with synthetic oil? And if so, per motomans guide should I then drain it and use dinosaur oil?

Many thanks.

Everything went braap.

change your oil at 40 miles? no
just ride the bike and have fun but don't red line it.
give it time to break in and change it about 300 miles, I did this to mine and my bike runs great. my oil was dirty and you can see a silver shade in the oil.

• Global Moderator

I was told that the bike comes from the factory with break in oil. That's why I am not a fan of an early oil change like some suggest. This oil needs to get a chance to do it's work. I had it serviced at 600 miles and it runs top. Oil was dirty and although I followed the harder break in method there was not much silver to see, a shade yes, but no shavings or pieces.

I'm back to being confused again :-S 8-|...soo are shaving in the first oil change good or bad? Because i thought they were good and were evidence of a proper break in with set in parts and all. And guru is saying the opposite of cruisin on this subject and my head is about to explode! I JUST WANT TO TREAT MY BABY RIGHT WHEN SHE GETS HERE!!! :P

• Premium Member
I'm back to being confused again :-S 8-|...soo are shaving in the first oil change good or bad? Because i thought they were good and were evidence of a proper break in with set in parts and all. And guru is saying the opposite of cruisin on this subject and my head is about to explode! I JUST WANT TO TREAT MY BABY RIGHT WHEN SHE GETS HERE!!! :P
Unfortunately unless you tear down your specific engine you wont really know. All the theories/methods have their pros and cons. Do you listen to the engineers at Yamaha who are trying to build the best bikes they can with no warranty issues and have some what 40 years experience with newer engine technologies and have developed some of these technologies or do you take faith in the guys who love their bikes and have worked on them with their own hands and torn them down and seen the great results from their methods? Honestly you will find strong supporters of both with the "facts" to back them up! 
I think it is very safe to say if you don't redline it, do use engine braking and do change the oil by 600mi/1000km your bike will perform and last. Will doing some of the other suggestions get you maybe 4 more horsepower and maybe make the bike last a few years more, maybe! 

If that wasn't enough personal comment here are a couple more that I think will help the bike last and run well; do change the oil regularly, use quality oil or quality synthetic (I won't touch that debate), do store it properly for the winter (sorry Canadian here), do not run it hard at all or even rev it before it has warmed up (I never touch the gas when starting mine till I am kitted up and ready to ride and by then its warm), do read all the comments and suggestions on the site and use your best judgement what works for your situation and abilities and your baby will love you for it and I'm sure last a long time. 

• Global Moderator

I know right... everybody has a different opinion on how to break in an engine. But who's to say is right? And the more you read, the more confusing it gets.
I pretty much follow the factory break in procedure as far as mileage, but I don't baby it. I use the full rpm range, engine braking etc.. I vary the rpm as much as possible. I would say that a silver shade in the oil is a good thing but it there are slivers and shavings it might not, really depends on how big the pieces are really. But my opinion is not the is not the only truth. it just makes sense to me.

I am not saying the opposite of what Cruizin says btw, we both prefer a harder break in. Cruizin probably even more so then I would but he has more experience then me and he knows what he is doing. That's probably why he suggest replacing the oil earlier then I would. I take it (somewhat) easier and leave the break in oil longer in the engine to do its magic.
I just don't think that babying the engine is smart. Some people simply avoid revving the engine over 5000 rpm. Varying the rpm's is probably wiser.

Alright i think i'll just follow Guru's advice and not read any more into it because i like Canadians very chill dudes hehehe don't baby it, don't red line it, vary rpms, warm it up, engine brake, and take it back to the dealer for the 600 mile service!

• Premium Member

Exactly and another point is that in the owners manual it doesn't say not to rev it over 5000 rpm it says not to rev it over 5000rpm for a "prolonged period of time". So rev away and have fun just don't sit at some high rev figure for too long and don't redline it!! You can have lots of fun with the torque and pull these babies have with out going too high in the revs! I was at 120 kmh (60mph) at 5000 rpm in sixth gear on the highway goosed it to make a pass and next thing I knew that quick pass I was making had me at 145 kmh (90mph) !!! Lots there in reasonable rev range! IMHO

I was at 120 kmh (60mph) at 5000 rpm in sixth gear on the highway goosed it to make a pass and next thing I knew that quick pass I was making had me at 145 kmh (90mph) !!! Lots there in reasonable rev range! IMHO
Lmao more like 75 mph.... 

• Premium Member

Oh yes sorry 75 is right was thinking 60 coz that's our posted speed 100kmh that no one does. So exactly 75-90mph during break in is pretty much enough fun for me!

I actually was one of those young guys (17) a few weeks ago before i took the MSF who thought sportbikes were badass and motorcycling was all about speed and that speed=fun, so i had my eyes set on a R6 as a beginner with the R1 as an upgrade within a year or two but after i took the MSF course at a Harley Davidson dealer near my place and my class actually rode brand new leaner bikes called HD Street 500's and after that experience with motorcycles when i was sure this is what i want to do with my life and is the most amazing feeling ever is that after i started riding i realized that the fun factor during riding is a whole lot more than just speed i found corners and just handling the bike 70% of the fun and speed 30% of the fun hehe still fun to go fast though hehe that's why i'm still gonna get that R1 within a couple of years after i grow out of my FZ07 xD

Archived