The MT-07 Forum

Foot pegs scraping and grabbing

kupeyloop

Hey guys,

I went on a ride up Palomar mountain down here in southern Cali, but ran into an issue. I was following my buddy on his DRZ400SM but couldn't pin the corners like I wanted because I would get low and scrape my foot pegs before reaching my personal limit. This happened about 4-5 times and two of the times I nearly ate **** but I knew how to handle it so I was fine. I had already removed the feeler pegs off the feet pegs, and I'm about 1cm deep already into scraping the tips off my foot pegs. Is there a parts solution to this? Anyone have better rearsets that bring the position up and back to be more sport like?

I'm pushing this baby to the edge of the wheel on both sides and still want to push deeper. I know the tire width can do it and the first limiting factor is where they put these rear sets from stock.

• Global Moderator
gilles tooling rearsets  or those from driven racing seem to be the best options at the moment 
there are a few others out there too, woodcraft, light-tech, and others... just depends on what you wanna spend
also, im not sure how to order the gilles version in the US. still working on that

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

I would adjust your riding postion in corners...if your style is to ride above the bike and push it down into corners it causes the bike to lean way more than needed...if your riding style is to ride below the bike in corners and pull the bike into corners you use less lean...riding inline with the bike will use just enough lean...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I removed the feelers from my foot pegs. Im also building a bracket to move my rearsets back 2" and up 1" I tend to rest the balls of my foot on the footpegs so this should be a more comfortable position for me.

I have the driven rearsets and like them. Cheaper than Gilles but similar in design. Unfortunately it doesn't have he mounting hole to retain use of the rear brake switch.

• Premium Member
I would adjust your riding postion in corners...if your style is to ride above the bike and push it down into corners it causes the bike to lean way more than needed...if your riding style is to ride below the bike in corners and pull the bike into corners you use less lean...riding inline with the bike will use just enough lean...
this.  If you have that much lean you may be riding crossed up.  Hang your butt off the seat, bend your elbow, and put your helmet outside of the grip that is leaned over, and you won't have to lean the bike that much (and run the risk of washing out and lowsiding)

I currently ride inline with the bike with a tad lean down into the corner for weight follow through. I never have thought I'd really need to shift my rear off the seat with a bike this light but I guess so. Haha I figured as much after I reached the top so I'll go ahead and offset more. I was only taking the switchbacks going roughly 55-60mph so there is room for improvement definitely.

I'll look into Gilles tooling rearsets as I saw pgeldz motogp fz07 had them set up and they look great.

I'm not sad though, had another buddy riding his Ducati Diavel and he couldn't keep up until I felt my rear tire slip a bit and gently brush the dirt on the edge when I couldn't get peg clearance. After that I turned down from 90% to 85% and stopped caring about trying to keep up with the DRZ. Must be nice being able to kick a foot out and just rip on the throttle and cross up.

this.  If you have that much lean you may be riding crossed up.  Hang your butt off the seat, bend your elbow, and put your helmet outside of the grip that is leaned over, and you won't have to lean the bike that much (and run the risk of washing out and lowsiding)
Another +1. Rearsets will help, but the correct answer is to fix your body position. Unless you have other upgrades like suspension and better tires, you're asking for real trouble leaning this bike that far. 

Life is good on 2 wheels!

gilles tooling rearsets  or those from driven racing seem to be the best options at the moment  there are a few others out there too, woodcraft, light-tech, and others... just depends on what you wanna spend
also, im not sure how to order the gilles version in the US. still working on that
yamabits.co.uk  
But, see above. Rearsets are not the first solution to this problem. 

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I took off the peg feelers off my fz07. Now I have more lean angle and I'm able to use the whole tire. I run Dunlop Q3s. I wouldn't push it if you don't have sticky tires. I actually just uploaded a video to youtube where I'm knee dragging and carving up the canyons with Stock suspension and rearset. But if you have the cash, get yourself some rearsets just like the posts above me said. Body position if everything on this bike. I have lowsided twice because of bad BP mistakes.

• Global Moderator

gilles tooling rearsets  or those from driven racing seem to be the best options at the moment  there are a few others out there too, woodcraft, light-tech, and others... just depends on what you wanna spend
yamabits.co.uk  
But, see above. Rearsets are not the first solution to this problem. 

He asked for a parts solution so i provided, his riding style sounds like it needs a bit of help, or coaching but im not one to provide as i'm still a bovice when it comes to motorcycle riding techniques

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

My fz is very far from stock...

Ohlins triple adjust monotube shock, Andreani fork cartridges with comp and rebound tuned just shy of soft for practical road conditions. Akra TI pipe, DNA filter and cover with PCV dyno'd. Plenty of countless body mods, everything has been tweaked a tad for my liking. I even took the liberty to fit an Aooogah horn to the left side of the bike just above the trans casing. Right behind the stock horn. Next possible upgrades are the rearsets and maybe wheels for less unsprung weight far in the future.

I won't deny that there is always room for improvement. But I'm pretty sure I'm not pushing the bike down below my body cast angle. Still running the stock battle axes but it was a very hot day and I made sure to warm them up before pushing them a little. I didn't have a problem with traction, just peg scraping.

Currently I'm just being mindful of my core weight distribution and making sure to commit to my turns. We did have a guy filming up there and I tend to ride with my body a little on the inside of the curve. But I'll definitely work on shifting more and getting my of my butt off the seat :)

It's really difficult to get that clearance for getting the knee down. I didn't use riding pants that day so don't have knee sliders to rely on, and it was switch back inclines with concave roads, so the road pitch is not the most favorable. But that's the point of riding the street. Knowing the limit and being mindful.

http://i.imgur.com/zeoKaz1.jpg

There's the bike a bit ago. Need to get an engine case slider on it and decide if I want to make this a wheelie machine or re sprocket it for more practical ratios on the road. It seems pretty middle of the road between "let's do wheelies" and "gotta go fast". Maybe a tad close to the wheelie side.

A bit off topic but... Anyone like renthal ultra lows or M1/ clip on positioned bars on this bike? Curious how the combination of the seat placement and those types of bars change the back positions.

• Premium Member
http://i.imgur.com/zeoKaz1.jpg 
There's the bike a bit ago. Need to get an engine case slider on it and decide if I want to make this a wheelie machine or re sprocket it for more practical ratios on the road. It seems pretty middle of the road between "let's do wheelies" and "gotta go fast". Maybe a tad close to the wheelie side.

That seat...

Yeah the seat is a little over the top. A little too stiff imo going to have it redone by my upholsterer in terms of padding and shape refinement.

Archived