The MT-07 Forum

fz ride with homemade swivel 360 mount

r6realtor

quick vid on my 1st homemade 360 swivel camera mount, took my old busted dual sport helmet and put this thing together pretty quick so I apologize for all the stupid metal clanking, future vids should be better now that I have figured it out.

2015 fz-07 akrapovic exhaust
2015 ktm 500 xc-w dirt/supermoto tire and wheels

• Global Moderator

Not bad! Clanking is a bit annoying but if you got that out if the picture, youd be set. Maybe setting the tension a bit higher on the pivot could help. The sudden spin at stop or acceleration were kind of jarring.
Otherwise, awesome idea... soon everyone will have one.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Did you retro-fit a carburetor into your FZ07?   ;)

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Not bad! Clanking is a bit annoying but if you got that out if the picture, youd be set. Maybe setting the tension a bit higher on the pivot could help. The sudden spin at stop or acceleration were kind of jarring. Otherwise, awesome idea... soon everyone will have one.

I actually found out whats the source of the clanking, its my counter weight inside the tube, just have to rubberize it or something then it should be totally gone.  
Also no matter how I set it once you get up to speed the wind just take the go pro where ever it wants that's why  lots of views from behind.

I need something like this so bad! I make a lot of videos on my FZ and I need a new action shot angle. This would be perfect! I can already picture it!

Is there a how to on this? You said it took you 10minutes... what did you use? :o I'd like to know, pleasee! @r6realtor

I need something like this so bad! I make a lot of videos on my FZ and I need a new action shot angle. This would be perfect! I can already picture it! 
Is there a how to on this? You said it took you 10minutes... what did you use? :o I'd like to know, pleasee! @r6realtor
Yeap, a "How To" would be great. 

No how to yet but may have to make one in the future, the hard part for most is going to be ruining a helmet.
This particular dualsport helmet I used has seen better days however, I didn't end up ruining it because there just happened to be a bolt hole in the dead center of the helmet I was able to work with not every helmet will be like that and you will have to drill a hole/holes in it to make it happen. I have zero dollars into this build and was able to gather up things around the house I had laying around, so I'm quite happy with it at this point.

in my opinion this one came out so much better because I covered up the sound with music(although not the FZ). My wheelies suck in this vid too because I have no movement in my foot because I fractured my heel, so I wimp out every time I get to my balance point other wise I can much longer especially on this bike.

Pretty cool, +10 and your bike sounds like mine. You have the Akrapovic carbon? If you could shoot some Permatex down that tune I bet that would keep that sucka from clanking like a boss. 

Beemer

@r6realtor Fair enough! I have a Dual Sport helmet I can ruin so I'm all ready for that haha. But thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye out for when you make that how to!

Pretty cool, +10 and your bike sounds like mine. You have the Akrapovic carbon? If you could shoot some Permatex down that tune I bet that would keep that sucka from clanking like a boss. 
I have the full Akrapovic titanium. So  pretty much no stopping the clanking as of now, I suppressed everything I could wrapped the hitch pin in special rubber tape and everything. Its unfortunately the nature of having 2 heavy objects on the end of  a hollow pipe with a very small single mounting point, its just going to clank around a bit or its not going to move/spin at all. I don't want to do anything else to it to add anymore weight than needed, like foaming it or filling it in, the pipe itself is Extremely light, but adding the weight and camera it starts to get heavy quick.

@r6realtor Fair enough! I have a Dual Sport helmet I can ruin so I'm all ready for that haha. But thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye out for when you make that how to!
NO how to yet but a couple of pics to help...The counter weight is a hitch pin wrapped in electrical tape which I thought would suppress the metal clanking sound but its still there unfortunately, at this time that is the nature of having so much weight on both ends of a long pipe and only having a small mounting point in the middle. total length is about 34.5" minus the hitch pin which sticks out roughly another 2-3" 
I think I have a better IDEA that I am working on now so that you don't have to ruin a helmet, you would just need to use a stick on GO PRO mount on the top of your helmet, will test it out in the next couple of weeks and post what I find and if/how it works.

qUo88aw.jpg

PezBu1t.jpg

paint got a little scraped off as I cut the pipe on both end again, because I thought it was just to long.
fu74MEb.jpg

WLknzeO.jpg

J5aHWvp.jpg

another mount I am working with on one of my light better helmets, in case your helmet doesn't have a bolt hole up top and you don't want to drill through it. The Icon variant will be next.
1HF495s.jpg
m7HZ31R.jpg

• Premium Member

@r6realtor -- I dig it! Even better -- place a 360 servo where it mounts to the helmet and a handlebar mounted switch so that instead of floating freely, you can move it around yourself while you ride

@r6realtor -- I dig it! Even better -- place a 360 servo where it mounts to the helmet and a handlebar mounted switch so that instead of floating freely, you can move it around yourself while you ride
That would be sweet! But I kind of like the free spinning as well...both would be really cool lol

Awesome, thanks a lot for taking time to take pictures and explaining. I don't want to drill a hole into my Shoei so I'll patiently wait until you find out how to use the Stickys instead! :D @r6realtor

Awesome, thanks a lot for taking time to take pictures and explaining. I don't want to drill a hole into my Shoei so I'll patiently wait until you find out how to use the Stickys instead! :D @r6realtor
lol no problem, will definitely update when I get it all figured out.

new mount I rigged up, now I can bounce from helmet to helmet with this thing for street or off road. I just hope the actual 3M sticky stuff holds up from the go pro mount itself
qSJvZTm.jpg
K3KsabY.jpg
eDn2Kz0.jpg

Awesome! looks good! Now to test ride with it at different speeds! :D lol what are the parts that you used? Allen bolt, nut, rubber washer and a spacer of some sort?

• Global Moderator
new mount I rigged up, now I can bounce from helmet to helmet with this thing for street or off road. I just hope the actual 3M sticky stuff holds up from the go pro mount itself qSJvZTm.jpg
K3KsabY.jpg
eDn2Kz0.jpg
Maybe using that extreme duty velcro would work? Stuff i got at home dumpo days its rated up to 50 lbs, i doubt it, but it might be worth a shot

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Awesome! looks good! Now to test ride with it at different speeds! :D lol what are the parts that you used? Allen bolt, nut, rubber washer and a spacer of some sort?
Well the black and the off white washers are like a neoprene washer and the spacer is just some kind of plastic spacer I found in the garage.

new mount I rigged up, now I can bounce from helmet to helmet with this thing for street or off road. I just hope the actual 3M sticky stuff holds up from the go pro mount itself qSJvZTm.jpg
K3KsabY.jpg
eDn2Kz0.jpg
Maybe using that extreme duty velcro would work? Stuff i got at home dumpo days its rated up to 50 lbs, i doubt it, but it might be worth a shot
I actually have some of that velcro stuff but i honestly don't think it would hold it very long if at all, I ended up putting a bead of silicon on the front and rear of this go pro mount that mounts to the helmet, should help secure it a bit more and keep from any dirt/dust getting up under it, just have to do some testing and see how it goes,if it lasts on my offroad helmet it will surely work no problem on my street helmet, offroad it will still hit high speeds of at least 60-65 but I will be hitting sand whoops at the same time doing that speed.

Archived