The MT-07 Forum

New Product: Silver+Silver adjustable fork caps

pattonme

see pics http://fz07.org/post/45511/thread

This is not a binding commitment to buy, but I need at least 15 serious "yes, I want" to justify the fairly substantial outlay in money and time. Please vote your interest and also comment (opt) so I know who you are.

Cost will be $75 + shipping CONUS. It will take 2-3 weeks to receive them. 
The main body can also come in gold.

If you subsequently buy my cartridge retrofit, I'll take $20 off that total. (updated http://fz07.org/post/25268)

I can't do colors at this time, I'm sorry. If you're any good with a spray can, you can probably get acceptable results.

The colored preload knobs you see on ebay, you'll need a 14x18 flat like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fork-Preload-Adjusters-for-TRIUMPH-SUZIKI-HONDA-Gold-14-18mm-MT-/171805928802
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strada-7-14x18mm-Front-Fork-Pre-load-Adjusters-Honda-CBR600RR-2003-2004-Blue-/261455367393?hash=item3cdff44ce1&vxp=mtr

I've added a survey question for keeping that style, or 17mm hex which seems to be a bit more popular in the aftermarket. I can only support 1 design at this time.

2015-08-15%2001.38.26.jpg

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Wow, so *nobody* actually wants a set! No worries, I ordered a small run because I need them generally for the cartridge retrofits since the GSXR bits are sometimes a bit more beat up than I'd like.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

For myself, the price seems totally reasonable. It's just a matter of having color choices in my case. I'm not digging bare alum for both.

I don't need the front end higher, but I plan on doing the cartridge upgrade. What sort of turn-around time is needed if the forks were sent to you mid August?

@randy2100, if I know it's coming I can be fast, like 2 days.

@dizzid1320 actually silver on silver is probably the best. It's near impossible to remove colored anodizing. But paint, is just some thinner away from coming off. So you can find that perfect shade. Anodizing is easy to screw up and I have no background in it. And I'd rather not ruin a bunch of parts or spend lots of hours trying to figure it out only for you perfectionists on the forum to critique the results and not buy anyway.  :-[

If I was a small, full time business, I would take the leap. But I'm not.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
phicurious86

I like the option, since the silver+silver has more match making options than the blue and gold stuff, but preload adjustment would probably be one of the last things I did on the front suspension and I don't see myself doing just a preload adjustment as a fix. 

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by and am curious about this claim - "I've added a survey question for keeping that style, or 17mm hex which seems to be a bit more popular in the aftermarket. I can only support 1 design at this time."
Are you talking about finger adjusters or something else with the shape of the cap?

14 flats vs 14 hex vs 17 hex. yes, if you want to use aftermarket finger adjusters, the style matters. But also from a practical standpoing, adjusting preload with flats means only an open wrench can do it and only from the side. 14 and 17mm can use either classic or ratcheting box wrenches as well as sockets depending on how much interference there is with handlebars. Also, ignore the hole in the middle. That's for those with cartridges since that's how you adjust the needle position.

preload-14%20flats.jpg

preload-14.jpg

preload-17.jpg

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Ready for a really dumb question? How do you install these? I picture the spring flying out and decapitating me when I remove the stock fork cap.

well, frack. There goes my customer base!! It's OK, my livelihood doesn't depend...

They look pretty good. Better than the other $99 ebay jobbies with their spindly adjuster.
Mine are beefier than these since the intended use is in my cartridge retrofit. I don't get all the "busy work" in the rod (the scollops) and base. Andreani does it too. Doesn't look better than non-fancy, but I guess some people like it?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

How do you install these? I picture the spring flying out and decapitating me when I remove the stock fork cap.
It's not that bad. You can do it on the bike but you'll need to get the handle bar out of the way. Yes the old fork cap will want to put your eye out, just keep pressure on the socket the whole time.

To install, you'll need to turn the center post in to make it shorter (probably >1/2 way) and then lean into the socket wrench as you try to thread it back on.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

But I provide a new o-ring. That's worth $20, right? guys??? (just kidding)

But yes the O-ring is included. It's like 20 cents per.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 1 month later...

comparison of 3 styles

Matt's cap + GSXR preload (left)
Matt's cap + matt's preload (center back)
Modified GSXR (right)

2015-08-15%2001.15.06.jpg

From the top

2015-08-15%2001.14.47.jpg

Another angle

2015-08-15%2001.14.33.jpg

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

with Traxxion's manual preload knob. Have Black coming in, and red and blue.

2015-08-15%2001.15.42.jpg 2015-08-15%2001.39.10.jpg

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Close up. I took some 2000 grit sand paper to this one to see what it would do to the tooling marks. They have the characteristic swirl of an endmill on the flat surface. I'm going to use my vibratory polisher and toss a few in and see what happens. Otherwise probably going to give them a quick buff on a polishing wheel.

2015-08-15%2001.16.17.jpg

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived