The MT-07 Forum

Synthetic too soon?

rewplayff

• Premium Member
michaelcly

Thanks for that. Good to know. I had a v65 sabre awhile back and put Castrol full synthetic in it and developed a clutch slip. I always blamed the oil. I'll watch for EC on the label.

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

Thanks for that. Good to know. I had a v65 sabre awhile back and put Castrol full synthetic in it and developed a clutch slip. I always blamed the oil. I'll watch for EC on the label.
Maybe it did. I suspect the Mobil I I use in my car might allow a wet clutch to slip. It's got that round EC label.  

for those of you doing a yearly oil change, please also remember that some synthetics have higher ester percentages, which doesn't like to sit around as long. Esters absorb water much like brake fluid so running some fancy high ester racing oils might not be for you if it's street use and sitting around.

I wouldn't trust a higher ester synthetic in my personal machine for more than a month or so, but that's just me and this is a topic where everyone will have their own beliefs and opinion.

sidenote*** i have had clutches slip more on full syns than semi or conventional oils on more that just one type of bike, I personally stick to conventional and semis for 8000-10000 miles, montior my oil consumption, then switch only to syn once I've confirmed my engine is no longer burning oil at all.(or barely noticable amounts). Too often I've switched used bikes I've owned back to conventional and watch how it burns less oil over the next few oil change intervals...interesting stuff for sure.

• Premium Member
michaelcly

Well, I went ahead and changed to synthetic oil. I was shocked how dirty the oil was that I took out—looked like the old school Mobile1 oil. It was changed by the PO at the recommended first change time. It now has 3600 miles and was due to change at 4,000 mi. I put in the only Motorcycle oil NAPA had. Purple MC oil. I got a k&n filter. I noticed little difference. I took a ride and after I got back I noticed a drip under the drain plug—I never tightened it all the way. PHEW! never did that before. Thank God I caught it early.

2015 FZ07; Yoshimura Exhaust; Yoshimura Fender Eliminator; Shorty levers; Bazzaz EFC, frame sliders, LED signals, Yamaha Comfy Seat, Madstad Windshield.

bmwpowere36m3

The factory oil after 120 miles looked like gear oil... broke-in hard. Never had an issue with non-EC synthetic or dino oil. If the clutch slips, it's likely near the end of its life anyway.

Archived