The MT-07 Forum

Is the FZ07 considered slow? upgrading from a ninja 300

kkel19

yamahappy74 LMAO! My god! What a non review giving goob and rider that guy is! I can't stand that goob!!!!! Goob: "It doesn't like to down shift." Maybe if he learned TO down shift properly he would realize it ain't the bike that's fuqt up! Then he tachs it up to redline and dumps the clutch and says, "Derrr, I gave it a little too much gas." That's a big 8k rpm under statement. This guy is a perfect example of people that think bikes are cool, buys a fast first bike, buys all the gear to impress and look like a racer and then proceed to terrorize the streets and make biking look like a thing for idiots. He really should be slapped silly and locked up in his mom's basement with an X Box and some motorcycle racing games.

Beemer

No issues on the highway except for wind blasts.
That is an issue on light bikes. Heavier bikes handle wind better, but we can't have the cake and eat it too ???  

Are we talking about stock bikes because any time I crack the throttle going 70/75 on the highway the bike accelerates pretty quick up to 90, but my bike is slightly modified.
The FZ-07 is a champion in accelerations under 100mph. It just requires some down shifting, If so, it will perform very well at passing cars and trucks with ease, even at Hwy speeds. 

• Premium Member

0-60 in the mid 3's is considered slow? Most freeways don't allow much faster than that and as stated already it still has plenty of passing power above that. Ninja 300 to a FZ07 are in two separate leagues. Go drive one and pick this bike or a bike based on what you plan on using it for.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
Ive ridden a ninja 300 for a year, and an old 2005 r6 for two years.  
I dont miss the ninja 300 while it was nimble..still a lot of shifting coming from an 05 r6...I thought the ninja 300 would be perfect for the city but I do miss the r6 speeds.

I hear mixed reviews how fz07 is a starter bike for a first time rider...that makes me think the fz07 is slow...

my main concern that I didnt like about the 300 was at 6th gear on the freeway..you can barely overtake someone at 80-85mph..
is this the case with a fz07...?

What are the gear ratios for the fz07...when do you usually switch from 1-2? 25-35mph? 
At 6th gear, do you still get that torque I hear about in the lower end? Ex: I am going around 75mph at 6th gear, how hard is it for this bike to overtake a car at those speeds?

Sorry I am asking a lot..Any long detailed advice opinion is greatly appreciated. Besides that I am so tempted to get this bike.
its considered a good beginner bike because the handling is excellent, the weight is low, and the fuel delivery is outstanding.

but dont let these attributes fool you into making any assumptions.

the fz07 is a red-light bandit. the torque plus docile handling make it a romp'em-stomp'em street-racer and 1/8th mile dominator.  put it on a very tight back-road (with a skilled rider) and watch it run circles around the larger bikes.

the problem with the fz07 is owning one will not extend your penis, put hair on your chest, or make you president of your local outlaw motorcycle club. the fz07 is (sadly) stuck in the realm of reality... that boring place where most americans just don't hang out. if you buy one, people will accuse you of being "informed", "level headed", or even "reasonable". 

its a good bike. helluva fun. easy to work on. cheap to maintain. it has more than enough power for riding on the road.

its a winner. its so good a beginner can ride it without drama, even though an experienced rider will flog the snot out of it.

-HowWorkClutch

thomascrown

In car terms...

From 0-60, it's a Nissan GTR. From 60-90, it's a Mustang Boss 302 . From 90 to 110, it's an E46 M3. From 110 to 120+, it's a Toyota Camry.

Forget what people said about it being a beginners bike. The bike can do 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds. That's as fast as most super cars. Now does that sound like a beginners bike?

Beemer

• Premium Member

I do know it can cover 60 feet from dead stop in 1.8 secs :)

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

If I had the money and the space, I would buy a sport bike for scratching that itch as well as having my FZ-07 for city riding. Two different experiences entirely.

Agreed, yamahappy. I want to add something like an ST1300 to my garage for long hauls. The fiancée complains her ass gets sore after 30 minutes on the FZ's pillion. Mine lasts about an hour.

• Premium Member

If your butt is uncomfortable get a Seatconcepts seat cover. I can ride for 3+ hours without taking a break on mine. :) As for your fiancé... I'm not sure what's available but regardless my girlfriend knows better than to complain anyway. (KIDDING!!!! LOL)
As for the FZ-07 being considered slow: I don't think so. Depends on what you're trying to compare it to.
If you blast around with your friends that all have 600/1000cc supersports then yes... it is slow. It's an apples to oranges comparison though if you ask me.
The power on this bike is more than enough coming from a 300cc bike. I came from a Ninja 250 and this thing is AWESOME. 0-60mph in 3.3 seconds is nothing to poopoo!
I've ridden R6's, 848's, CBR600RR's and CBR1000RR's. It doesn't have the top end like those bikes.
This bike for me is for bouncing around town, having run throwing it around, popping some wheelies and just overall having a blast.
I am hunting for a track bike to actually go fast though. (On the track!)

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

> I am hunting for a track bike to actually go fast though

fast is overrated, IMO. If you want fast, drag race. Going fast in corners is what turns me 'on' as it were and here, lighter, approachable (won't toss you on your head, highsiding out of corners), and inexpensive to repair are good traits.

Yes I cringe as the sportbikes go screaming past on the 1 mile straight at 160-180MPH as I'm mosing along at positively sedate 115 (90 on my motards) but for all their tail-wagging, stand it on the nose, "I'm gonna die!" braking into Turn1, I've got them caught and passed half way thru the lap. Fast makes for mistakes. Sometimes expensive ones.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

thomascrown

A more money than brains buddy of mine bought a then brand new 848 as his first bike. Punted it a month into ownership at the track. Sold it, bought an RSV4. Punted it a month into ownership at the track.

He was adamant that it wasn't the bikes power that made him crash, that his crashes were washing out the front tire, and since it didn't happen under acceleration, a slower bike wouldn't have made any difference.

What he never understood is that when you arrive at a corner at triple digit speeds, getting your correct braking point, body positioning, and turn-in is way more difficult, since all of it needs to be accelerated due to heading toward the corner at stupid speed.

He quit motorcycling, dresses up like he's going on the Tour de France, and rides his 10k bicycle around now.

I'd like to eventually turn the FZ07 into a track rat, and pick up an S1000XR for daily driving.  

pantheraleo
If I had the money and the space, I would buy a sport bike for scratching that itch as well as having my FZ-07 for city riding. Two different experiences entirely.
My GF has a GSXR 750. It's nice swapping bikes with her. We appreciate the differences in both bikes.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Daily commuter bike, always on freeway, able to charge ahead when i need to, cars cant keep up with me lol

2015 Pearl White FZ-07
"such a torky lil guy"

I ride with a lot of guys on my fz, and I have it with the Akra TI pipe and have it dynoed to shift the brute power from 3.5-6k rpm to the 4.5-7.2k rpm band. This allows me to peel through corners a bit more aggressive when downshifting and rolling. Best way to describe this bike is that it's an unique monster of a machine, but behaves well enough to allow beginners to grow into t because of its low weight, torque, and lack of abrupt power in the far top end. It's easy to handle. You can almost steer the whole thing with just your hips.

I ride with a lot of people who own all sorts Of bikes. I'll list a few and tell you how it fares.

Suzuki DRZ400SM
Ducati Hypermotard
Ducati Diavel
Suzuki GSX-R 750
Yamaha R1
Honda Shadow 850cc
Honda Interstate VT1300
And a medley of super light 400-700cc supermotos to include the new KTM 690 SMC R.

This bike regularly outperforms all of the bikes except for the Ducatis, and the R1. It's closest "match" I would have to say is the gsxr750, and even those two bikes differ greatly.

I did a straight drag against my friend on the gsxr and all the way to about 85mph I had about a two length lead on him. After that, he pulled ahead slowly up until 114mph where wind resistance starts hampering this bike.
It's also 2/3 the weight of the gsxr, and much more comfortable seating position. If you tuck and lean like a super sport by positioning your tailbone on the bridge between the two seat pillions, you absolutely change the way the bike rides and feels.

It's a powerful bike. It wants to wheelie. You cannot crack the throttle past about 65% on first and second gear unless you want the front to lift off the ground. Coast at 25-30mph and straight up crack it at WOT in second gear. Your front tire is now 3 feet in the air, no matter your weight. Even if you're a welterweight, coasting at 30-40 in third will do the same with a bit of weight bias to the rear. The torque is obnoxious on this bike. Sometimes unwanted because of lack of ABS and traction control.

It's a small, light bike with exceptional rake and steering geometry with a honking 689cc parallel (fake v-twin haha) twin in the center. Think of it as a lotus exige or caterham super seven of bikes. It's not intended to impress anyone past 90. But it absolutely rips in speeds below that... And sounds like a mustang boss 302 while you're at it.

It sits like a supermoto
It corners like one too
It looks like a light adventure dual sport
And it flogs the crap out of most super sports in corners.

The bike is an amazing machine to put a beginner on and watch that beginner turn into a master without changing bike ownership like crazy. Put it in the hands of a master and this thing absolutely dominates corners lofting the wheel whenever wherever.

• Premium Member
I ride with a lot of guys on my fz, and I have it with the Akra TI pipe and have it dynoed to shift the brute power from 3.5-6k rpm to the 4.5-7.2k rpm band. This allows me to peel through corners a bit more aggressive when downshifting and rolling. Best way to describe this bike is that it's an unique monster of a machine, but behaves well enough to allow beginners to grow into t because of its low weight, torque, and lack of abrupt power in the far top end. It's easy to handle. You can almost steer the whole thing with just your hips.  
I ride with a lot of people who own all sorts Of bikes. I'll list a few and tell you how it fares.

Suzuki DRZ400SM
Ducati Hypermotard
Ducati Diavel
Suzuki GSX-R 750
Yamaha R1
Honda Shadow 850cc
Honda Interstate VT1300
And a medley of super light 400-700cc supermotos to include the new KTM 690 SMC R.

This bike regularly outperforms all of the bikes except for the Ducatis, and the R1. It's closest "match" I would have to say is the gsxr750, and even those two bikes differ greatly.

I did a straight drag against my friend on the gsxr and all the way to about 85mph I had about a two length lead on him. After that, he pulled ahead slowly up until 114mph where wind resistance starts hampering this bike.
It's also 2/3 the weight of the gsxr, and much more comfortable seating position. If you tuck and lean like a super sport by positioning your tailbone on the bridge between the two seat pillions, you absolutely change the way the bike rides and feels.

It's a powerful bike. It wants to wheelie. You cannot crack the throttle past about 65% on first and second gear unless you want the front to lift off the ground. Coast at 25-30mph and straight up crack it at WOT in second gear. Your front tire is now 3 feet in the air, no matter your weight. Even if you're a welterweight, coasting at 30-40 in third will do the same with a bit of weight bias to the rear. The torque is obnoxious on this bike. Sometimes unwanted because of lack of ABS and traction control.

It's a small, light bike with exceptional rake and steering geometry with a honking 689cc parallel (fake v-twin haha) twin in the center. Think of it as a lotus exige or caterham super seven of bikes. It's not intended to impress anyone past 90. But it absolutely rips in speeds below that... And sounds like a mustang boss 302 while you're at it.

It sits like a supermoto
It corners like one too
It looks like a light adventure dual sport
And it flogs the crap out of most super sports in corners.

The bike is an amazing machine to put a beginner on and watch that beginner turn into a master without changing bike ownership like crazy. Put it in the hands of a master and this thing absolutely dominates corners lofting the wheel whenever wherever.

When you say tucking low with your seating towardz the passenger area changes feel and handling, can you give us more.

I'm a newer rider and I used to do this b 4 I got my windscreen and I really liked the feel of the balance and low center of gravity. I assume you mean better and not worse?

Databyter.

Databyter

It's better in a lot of aspects.. As I said a lot of the hips and core can control how the bike moves. Some super sports require more active seating position and torso angle to get where you want to go. You can almost flick the whole line up into the corner if you get comfortable with the bike. I ride with a few bad habits so don't look to me for advice on riding as everyone is a bit different, but from my experience you can put a lot less thought into handling this machine rather than most common super sports. Getting your outside knee locked in, heel to plate pinch angle, arm slack and spine cast angle in relation to the bike lean angle comes into play far later than required to get the fz07 to scoot through corners. You can be dumb and flick the bike into the line you want the majority of the time, which makes it easy for riders who are new to its comfy geometry, but seasoned riders will have a blast doing whatever they want and taking the bike to new limits. It's pretty forgiving in that aspect... But then again my fz07 is loaded out balls to the wall like pgeldz... Minus rearsets, motogp vinyl and some pricey handlebars and sliders.

Archived