The MT-07 Forum

Is the FZ07 considered slow? upgrading from a ninja 300

kkel19

Ive ridden a ninja 300 for a year, and an old 2005 r6 for two years. 

I dont miss the ninja 300 while it was nimble..still a lot of shifting coming from an 05 r6...I thought the ninja 300 would be perfect for the city but I do miss the r6 speeds.

I hear mixed reviews how fz07 is a starter bike for a first time rider...that makes me think the fz07 is slow...

my main concern that I didnt like about the 300 was at 6th gear on the freeway..you can barely overtake someone at 80-85mph..
is this the case with a fz07...?

What are the gear ratios for the fz07...when do you usually switch from 1-2? 25-35mph? 
At 6th gear, do you still get that torque I hear about in the lower end? Ex: I am going around 75mph at 6th gear, how hard is it for this bike to overtake a car at those speeds?

Sorry I am asking a lot..Any long detailed advice opinion is greatly appreciated. Besides that I am so tempted to get this bike.

• Premium Member
n2shotokai

I am a big guy, at 70 mph it scoots right past cars no problemo. I believe the top speed is 126. I had the same concern prior to purchase.
I have had mine up to 96 and it had plenty left .... on an approved closed course ........

If you spend alot of time on the freeways i would get something else.

If you spend alot of time going 0-60, this is the perfect bike.

Its not that the FZ07 is slow, its certainly not but its powerband does not exist between 70 and 90 mph.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

My opinion is the first three gears are rather short. Forth gear is tall and the bike is happy for a large range of speeds. Fifth is for freeways and I don't use sixth below 70 mph. This bike has torque in all gears and plenty of passing power at every speed. I can't say anything above 80 mph because I really haven't gone there. (very much)

Illegitimi non carborundum

The FZ-07 is a fun bike at legal speeds. I bought one after owning an R6. The R6 was faster from 100km/h-200km/h. The FZ-07 feels just as fast as the R6 did at anything below 100km/h. For reference 100km/h is 60mph, 200 is 120mph.

If you want a bike that will be exciting or fast at high speed a naked anything is not a bike for you. You would be happier or better off with an FZ6R, R6, ZX6R, CBR600, Ninja 600.

The twin configuration and powerband is newbie "friendly" to a point but it can still get away from you if you get careless. Personally I don't recommend any new bike, let alone one that costs over 4Grand as a first bike. Crawl, Walk, Run. It's not just for babies.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Passing at 70-75 mph isn't really an issue in 6th gear. Unless you ride near savages who will jump to 80-90 mph to avoid being passed.

If you drop to 5th, it's a pretty quick affair. Above 75, with no downshift (6th gear), it's going to take a second or two to gain steam.

Ultimately has not been a problem for me. You will be lacking the nearly limitless top end of the R6, but quite peppy otherwise.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

This lil bike will do 5th gear passes very easily...6th gear on this bike is what I call " over drive" cause I only use it when I know I'm gonna be just cruising along...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Zero problems above 80mph to pass around people if needed. Many places (metropolitan) often have the highway moving along at 80mph, with that said I have been pleased with the acceleration at/above that. Mind you like others have said above, you are not going to get the performance of a supersport at those speeds. I would argue that 0-70mph is more fun on the FZ though. Im not a fan of having to rev up to get some power.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I love my bike but I sure do miss the sound of a 3 cylinder sometimes. I like the wound up "I gotta go!" sound of a rocket more than the growl of the twin.

The FZ-07 is great for beginners because of its light weight and very manageable power, but it is not a toy. It is fast from 0 to 80mph, with plenty of passing power at any legal speeds to over those legal speeds, that was one of my most important requirement when getting the FZ, I just love to pass, but I agree with what others have already said, its not a supersport.
In fact, I do miss my favorite bike of all time, my old trusted Ninja 900, but speed would often put me in serious danger and illegal situations.
On the other hand, the FZ-07 gives you the same early excitements, without the danger of going above legal speeds unwillingly, and will not let you go above 80mph without you noticing it.
It is a 1/4 mile adrenaline rush vs miles of adrenaline rush for the supersports. It just depend on how you see life.

If you want a bike that will be exciting or fast at high speed a naked anything is not a bike for you. You would be happier or better off with an FZ6R, R6, ZX6R, CBR600, Ninja 600.
Insteat of the boring FZ6R, i would suggest the discontinued FZ6 (100 hp engine). It all depend if you favor horsepower over torque. And of course no racer or naked bike are comfortable for long stretch of highway.  I demo ride an Honda CBR650F a few weeks ago. Very comfortable, but the engine is too linear (boring for me). 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

The FZ 07 isn't really a starter bike though it can be done and a lot of people have with no problems. You really can't put it in the same class as a 300. It's fast but not supersport fast. I haven't tried to pass anyone at those speeds but up to 75 there was plenty of torque. It is nimble like a 300.

• Premium Member

Take one for a test ride. There are a ton of video's on the tube. For me its an all around good bike, fun to ride with plenty of power for my daily commute. I would like something faster, but that is just the Devil talking.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

howlinhoss

I have both a 300 and fz07. The 07 is like a rocket compared to the 300. The torque and adrenaline rush twisting that throttle gives is intoxicating. No issues on the highway except for wind blasts. Just because it is below 100hp doesn't mean it is a beginner bike or slow.

botbullet0

I weigh 125 and I have no problems getting this bike up to 100+ in any gear, even 6th. Pretty quick, but I'm really light.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

All this talk of the FZ-07 being a beginner bike makes me think of this video I saw the other day. If you watch, at the end, he drives away on a rocket, which he can apparently handle better than the FZ-07. Crash happens at 14:20.

Just because it is below 100hp doesn't mean it is a beginner bike or slow.
When the first Ninja 600 was available, no one considered this bike a beginner bike. 75 hp and a dry weight of 195 kg (430 lb) in 1985. Has human genetics improve so much in the last 30 years? The FZ07 can be a good first bike. But a bike that can do wheellies without the help of the clutch is no way a beginner bike imo. ;) 

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Guest Ralph

Hell when I started biking it would have been considered a super bike
and could have won the TT right out the box.

I don't know what the "dude in front of him stalling out" was all about. Looks like he intended a wheelie to me. Not too bright.

Lots of torque, huh, buddy ... LOL.

The top speed might not impress but pure pulling power will.

notice it stalled on him as he was trying to pull away. Then got crazy with the throttle and didn't cover the rear brake or grab the clutch.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

If you can, test drive it before buying.
It makes me laugh to read or hear from people that a FZ-07 is slow (without trying it)...you can have a rider with a big sport bike who's slow.
I have done some riding with riders with other kind of bikes like an R6 and the rider told me he was suprise how fast the FZ-07 can be.
Not fast in top speed term but fast on corner exit for exemple, the R6 could not follow me. The FZ-07 has more torque than an R6.
You dont' need to make the engine screem to have a feeling of power, right from 3000rpm it pulls hard.
I tested a CBR650F last week, absolutelly no caracter from this bike even if it has 11hp more than the FZ-07.
You twist the throttle (WOT) from 4000rpm and nothing happens, it starts to pull from 6000rpm, but again in a gentle manner.

I own both an FZ07 and a R3. For this purpose I'm going to say the R3 and the ninja300 are similar- and they should be. Despite the R3 having a slightly larger engine, it doesn't mean it is necessarily stronger. For the most part the R3 and Ninja 300 should behave the same.

The difference between the FZ07 and R3- they are in a different class. Is the FZ07 an upgrade from the 300? HELL YES. Not even a question. No one should be asking that... The difference in power in the throttle is jarring. The ninja 300- I'm guessing should have a progressive throttle. If you come directly from a progressive 300cc throttle to the FZ07, you are in for a dangerous surprise. The power of the 300 should be at or past 6-7k RPM. So you will be accustomed to rolling it hard to hit that higher power zone. You do that on the FZ07, you will be on your back on the road with a heavily damaged FZ07. You need to be smooth and gentle with the FZ07.

Now, here is where that difference diminishes. The highway/freeway. Although the power of the FZ07 will still be more than your ninja, the difference won't be noticeable. Plus the FZ07 is not a comfortable freeway ride at all. First off there is no where to rest your chest, you will hurt your back. And there is no windscreen, so you will be blasted by wind. You can remedy both of this by buying a windscreen and buying a tank bag. But I did not buy a FZ07 to put a windscreen on it. So keep that in mind. Your comfort. As far as passing power, the FZ07 is there for you no problem. Its just not a comfortable freeway rider in its stock state.

What I prefer on the R3 over the FZ07 is getting the RPMs to 10k. There is something visceral about revving your motorcycle that high to get its power. Although the low powerband of the FZ07 is nice, there is just something I cannot describe which is so great about revving a motorcycle to 10k+ and feeling its power. If you are a fan of doing that, maybe the FZ07 is not your cup of tea.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

If you spend alot of time on the freeways i would get something else. 
If you spend alot of time going 0-60, this is the perfect bike.

Its not that the FZ07 is slow, its certainly not but its powerband does not exist between 70 and 90 mph.
Are we talking about stock bikes because any time I crack the throttle going 70/75 on the highway the bike accelerates pretty quick up to 90, but my bike is slightly modified.

Beemer

Beemer.

The torque curve drops off after 7k rpm. Im already almost there doing 80 on my bike with the stock ECU and IXIL exhaust. The bike is NOT slow but compared to say a 600 sport bike that was designed for high RPM operation, the FZ does not accelerate in the same manner.

Trust me, im not making the FZ out to be slow, its not, not at all but i think we need to be honest in that it does not feature any kind of high end punch like a sport bike. Rightly so, since it was not designed to be.

Archived