The MT-07 Forum

Stolen bike

she3pdog

So far I've looked at a few Monsters, Street Triples, and a Super Duke 990. The Super Duke is still winning. I'm pretty sure it won't be that hard to throw on some new rearsets to make it a little more to my liking. I also glanced at the other bikes in Yamaha and Kawasaki's lineup. I don't think I'll be going that route unless for the FZ-09.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
I am moving to Honda and getting a CBR1000RR with Combined-ABS, it does 0-60 in 2.5 from the factory, FZ-07 is 3.4. My FZ-07 is modified for very high speed so I know I am ready for a 1000 but if your not check out the CBR600RR, it does 0-60 in 2.8. A lot of these numbers change slightly year to year but you get the idea. (C-ABS) If you slam on the front brakes or rear brakes only, both wheels slow to a stop equally. In a panic situation this feature can save your life, cutting braking distance almost in half. I am also a fan of steering dampers and these bikes come standard with an electronic one, no twin engine vibration either. My radar detector went off today and I jammed on the front brakes of my FZ-07 like a dummy and almost went flying, it was not even a cop, never mind a what could have happened in a real situation if someone stopped or pulled out in front of me. They are worth a look. Cyclecruza on youtube swears by these bikes and I think he had an FZ-07 or 09. 
Frankly I wouldn't worry about the 0-60 numbers. Those time's are all over the map due to rider weight, road conditions, rider skill, tires, etc. Most riders are not going to post sub 3 second times on a 600, or a 1000 for that matter, without a really well executed high rev launch and that's just begging for trouble on the street. Not to mention that a high rev launch is also a pretty good way to flip the bike and seriously injure yourself. Ride what's fun to ride for most of your riding.

• Premium Member

I feel your pain, these people are scum bags. My brother got his CBR600rr stolen about a month ago that was loaded into a Cox cable van and it took less than 10 minutes. I'm not a CBR fan but apparently it was one of the older lighter ones (mid 2000's?) that is more desirable. Be glad you had insurance for theft, my brother somehow didn't even though he thought he was paying for it. He won't be riding any time in the near future because of this. Good luck and make sure anyone reading this thread, that your insurance covers theft.

• Premium Member
speedingtickets
I am moving to Honda and getting a CBR1000RR with Combined-ABS, it does 0-60 in 2.5 from the factory, FZ-07 is 3.4. My FZ-07 is modified for very high speed so I know I am ready for a 1000 but if your not check out the CBR600RR, it does 0-60 in 2.8. A lot of these numbers change slightly year to year but you get the idea. (C-ABS) If you slam on the front brakes or rear brakes only, both wheels slow to a stop equally. In a panic situation this feature can save your life, cutting braking distance almost in half. I am also a fan of steering dampers and these bikes come standard with an electronic one, no twin engine vibration either. My radar detector went off today and I jammed on the front brakes of my FZ-07 like a dummy and almost went flying, it was not even a cop, never mind a what could have happened in a real situation if someone stopped or pulled out in front of me. They are worth a look. Cyclecruza on youtube swears by these bikes and I think he had an FZ-07 or 09. 
"Frankly I wouldn't worry about the 0-60 numbers. Those time's are all over the map due to rider weight, road conditions, rider skill, tires, etc. Most riders are not going to post sub 3 second times on a 600, or a 1000 for that matter, without a really well executed high rev launch and that's just begging for trouble on the street. Not to mention that a high rev launch is also a pretty good way to flip the bike and seriously injure yourself.

Ride what's fun to ride for most of your riding."

I just mention those numbers because that is the speed range traveled in most. I also want to mention that ABS does not allow braking in corners and depending on road conditions may not be more effective than normal brakes.

No, in fact its the other way around.  Cyclecruza was THINKING ABOUT GETTING a FZ07 or 09.  That was 2 months ago though, not sure if he still thinking about it.  

Anyway, sorry to hear that TC.  This is the exact reason why I never bought a motorcycle while living in an apartment or someplace without your own garage.  Now, don't get me wrong, I know it can still be stolen inside your own private garage, but it is highly less likely unless its stolen by a neighbor who knows you own the motorcycle.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Who cares what some youtube guy thinks?

The bottom line is that you should buy according to your own tastes, your application and where you desire your powerband to lie.

Quite frankly, someone saying their FZ07 was "modified for very high speed" is borderline criminally stupid. All motorcycles are fast. Some are faster than others and anything over 600, is going to accelerate to 100 mph way faster than most cars.  That's like saying your Honda Civic was modified to go fast after you slammed and "stanced" it.  Puke.

If you want a 1000 because it has the potential to happily ride in the 120-160 mph range then that is all you and more power to you. However, that is ILLEGAL off of the track and i doubt anyone on this forum is going to advocate pushing an agenda of breaking the law.

0-60 times are awesome and all of that jazz but they mean little to nothing unless you're with your homeslices and comparing penile length is a club hobby. A 450 pound "leedah" bike is a bitch and a half for a guy that may live in a city and commutes in heavy traffic whereas a 400 pound FZ07 is a breath of fresh air.

Looking at numbers as absolutes is a sure way to get nowhere. The OP has already stated that the "naked" thing is his cup of tea so lets try and think of some cool options for him!

• Premium Member
phicurious86
So far I've looked at a few Monsters, Street Triples, and a Super Duke 990. The Super Duke is still winning. I'm pretty sure it won't be that hard to throw on some new rearsets to make it a little more to my liking. I also glanced at the other bikes in Yamaha and Kawasaki's lineup. I don't think I'll be going that route unless for the FZ-09.
The Duke 990 is pretty slick looking, way better on the eyes than the 1290 imo. Mileage looks pretty bad, but everything else about the bike asserts quality.

dizzid1320

I wish I had considered the Duke 990 myself before buying the FZ. But, then again, when considering the recurring cost of insurance, this is about as large a motor as I'm willing to pay for.

• Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the theft, and I hope your insurance claim is quick and very fair... for the next bike, if you wanted to up the price tag a few bucks, the Ducati Diavel was on my short list of possible "next bikes". The newest model is a little more passenger friendly, and the touring bags/wind screen add what appear to be a good look with decent functionality.

I see them on Craigslist occassionally - likely from people who lost their license during the break-in period! 

Alright guys, I bought a bike today. I rode the superduke 990 and fz-09, sat around on some other bikes, and decided to get the superduke 990. I had the paperwork drawn up and everything, but then they wheeled out a used FZ8. I decided I might as well try it since the superduke wasnt quite the sex on wheels I thought it would be. Holy mother of God, why'd they get discontinued? That thing was everything I was looking for and then some. Feet firmly on the ground, upright seating, mostly naked, great handling, and the second you push past 4k RPM it just wants to take off like a rocket with you on it and it doesn't feel like it ever wants to stop. The suspension is better than FZ-07 stock, but not quite up there with the Penske/traxxion stuff I had on the FZ-07. It is quite a bit more comfortable though. It's like falling in love again. It's a 2012 with a mere 8k miles on it, same as my FZ-07 had before leaving. I will never hate on the FZ-07 because I loved that bike, but I think I found something that will make me happy for a long time. I will, of course, stick around for a while and ride with you guys still.

• Global Moderator
Alright guys, I bought a bike today. I rode the superduke 990 and fz-09, sat around on some other bikes, and decided to get the superduke 990. I had the paperwork drawn up and everything, but then they wheeled out a used FZ8. I decided I might as well try it since the superduke wasnt quite the sex on wheels I thought it would be. Holy mother of God, why'd they get discontinued? That thing was everything I was looking for and then some. Feet firmly on the ground, upright seating, mostly naked, great handling, and the second you push past 4k RPM it just wants to take off like a rocket with you on it and it doesn't feel like it ever wants to stop. The suspension is better than FZ-07 stock, but not quite up there with the Penske/traxxion stuff I had on the FZ-07. It is quite a bit more comfortable though. It's like falling in love again. It's a 2012 with a mere 8k miles on it, same as my FZ-07 had before leaving. I will never hate on the FZ-07 because I loved that bike, but I think I found something that will make me happy for a long time. I will, of course, stick around for a while and ride with you guys still.
Congratulations. The FZ8 is a great bike and an excellent choice. They just traded one in when I was shopping for my FZ07 last year. Beautiful bike, old school white with red decals. But it was too much bike for me.

Congratulations. The FZ8 is a great bike and an excellent choice. They just traded one in when I was shopping for my FZ07 last year. Beautiful bike, old school white with red decals. But it was too much bike for me.

Definitely glad I had the 07 first. I would have probably gotten myself into more not so great situations with the FZ8. It launches a little more relaxed than the 07, but it really picks up quickly after that. I am definitely going to test it out on the mountains this weekend. I'll be sure to use extra caution though as it is still new to me.

• Global Moderator

Be sure to post some pics when you get it.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

Hey she3p glad you found a replacement. What an awful situation to deal with but at least you were smart in having coverage! Congrats on the new bike.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got a bit of a surprise today when I got a call from my wife telling me that we'd received a letter from the sheriff's department notifying us that my old bike had been recovered. I went and saw it for the first time since it was stolen. That guy beat it up hard. It looks like he went down going really fast and the bike went flipping because both sides have significant damage. It's the insurance company's problem now, but it breaks my heart to see my old FZ-07 treated like that.

• Global Moderator

Yes, it is heart breaking to see something like that. I wonder what will happen to it. I imagine it will be auctioned off and becomes someones project bike.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Honestly, I'm glad you got the money before they found it. As painful as it is to see it in that condition, who knows what they did to it before the crash. You might have gotten a bike back that had the **** ridden out of it, and not in a good way. Now, at least, you have a bike you're happy with and a fresh start to boot. Glad it worked out for you!

Ya, I asked the agent about a salvage title today, so we'll see how that works out.

Archived