The MT-07 Forum

Barracuda Mini Vipers - melting

grahamfz07

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

Well finally installed my front turn signals today, Barracuda Mini Vipers, and used the Custom LED blinker genie for DRL function.
These are still incadescent bulbs with the stock 21W rating. The rears have been working a the normal pace, but when i installed the fronts I had the fast blink. So I installed the Custom LED relay too. Perfect all is good.

So I went for a nice 3 hour ride, only to come home and notice that they have melted the housings. I'm guessing they are not rated for DRL function to be on all the time? 

So back on went the stock ones, with the stock blinker relay until I decide what to do. Damn it

And go figure, I also installed my Cyclops LED headlight this morning too. When I pulled the connector apart to install the stock turn signals just now one of the pins came out of the LED conenctor. I pushed it back in and it seems to work fine so hopefully that wont be an issue in the future, dont want to loose my headlight when Im riding. By the way the headlight is awesome!

[attachment id=636" thumbnail="1][attachment id=638" thumbnail="1][attachment id=637" thumbnail="1][attachment id=639" thumbnail="1]

thomascrown

Yikes. What turn signals are you going to go for next? I'm waiting on DRC 602s. I bought them specifically because the supermoto guys run them in DRL configuration, so they will likely last. Will let you know how they turn out.

pv03.jpg

• Global Moderator

@grahamfz07, not that it matters now but the electronic flasher relay works fine with the stock bulbs. You did not need to go to the trouble of putting the old one back in.

• Premium Member
grahamfz07
Yikes. What turn signals are you going to go for next? I'm waiting on DRC 602s. I bought them specifically because the supermoto guys run them in DRL configuration, so they will likely last. Will let you know how they turn out. 

pv03.jpg
Cool, thanks. Not really sure what to go for next. LED for sure. I like the look of those DRCs

• Premium Member
grahamfz07
@grahamfz07, not that it matters now but the electronic flasher relay works fine with the stock bulbs. You did not need to go to the trouble of putting the old one back in.
Thanks. It seemed to be working fine, but i decided to be safe then sorry. Once i pulled it out i saw it was rated up to 10amps so shoulda just left that in. Oh well, im getting fast at pulling off the side panel

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

@thomascrown

Just saw those DRC lights at my local dealer. They look good, I was tempted to buy four of them. They also had some oxfords that looked pretty decent. May have to go back later.

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

My owners manual in canada says 21W? My MT-07 service manual says 10W. I will go check a bulb on the stockers

Here was barracudas response,

dear Sir

our MINI VIPER are INDICATOR 21 watt , no more !!

THEY SOFFER THE WARM TEMPERATURE AND THE LONG FUNCTION MELTED THE PLASTIC BECAUSE TOO SMALL DIMENSION

regards

Guest Ralph

Both UK owners and service say 10W not checked the bulbs but they don't look bright enough to be 21 W

• Premium Member
grahamfz07
Both UK owners and service say 10W not checked the bulbs but they don't look bright enough to be 21 W
My bulb says W21/5W - Guessing thats 21W for turn signal operation, and 5W for DRL function 
[attachment id=646" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

Well I decided to go back to my local dealer and have another look at their LED turn signals. Decided to go with the DRC 602's and Im very happy with the result. @thomascrown I'm sure you will be very happy with them!
[attachment id=648" thumbnail="1][attachment id=647" thumbnail="1][attachment id=649" thumbnail="1][attachment id=650" thumbnail="1]

thomascrown

Those look fantastic. An oem look that I prefer over the wacky design of some of the other turn signals out there.

• Premium Member
grahamfz07
Also, is that a vintage Honda I spy?
Its a 77 corolla. I picked it from a family member last year who had it sitting in her carport, its got 100k miles and no too bad of shape. Not sure if its going to be a v8 drift car, or more of a nostalgic road racer yet. Still working on some sheet metal replacement so i have some time to make up my mind. Although i havent worked on it much since the FZ arrived lol 
[attachment id=651" thumbnail="1][attachment id=652" thumbnail="1]

Oh man. @grahamfz07 I was going to do the exact same thing with those mini vipers last Feb. After I ordered it and received them, I realized they were irreplaceable halogens so I returned them knowing that was probably not going to go well as DRLs.

Yeah, I thought the bulbs would just burn out too quickly but as you have found out for the sake of anyone willing to do it, it melts the housing as DRLs! Damn.

So far I have been running Barracuda Futuras 2 as DRls for the past 5 months with no problems. And I took a 3 hours ride in Mar as well.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member
grahamfz07
Oh man. @grahamfz07 I was going to do the exact same thing with those mini vipers last Feb. After I ordered it and received them, I realized they were irreplaceable halogens so I returned them knowing that was probably not going to go well as DRLs. 
Yeah, I thought the bulbs would just burn out too quickly but as you have found out for the sake of anyone willing to do it, it melts the housing as DRLs! Damn.

So far I have been running Barracuda Futuras 2 as DRls for the past 5 months with no problems. And I took a 3 hours ride in Mar as well.
Good choice on the Futuras!  
i didnt choose so well at first lol. Too bad though because the mini vipers were really bright as signals. Im pretty happy with my DRCs now

• Premium Member
grahamfz07
Graham, did you use the plastic spacers that came with the DRCs? Or did you omit them?
I didnt use them, yours show up today?

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
Well I decided to go back to my local dealer and have another look at their LED turn signals. Decided to go with the DRC 602's and Im very happy with the result. @thomascrown I'm sure you will be very happy with them! 

Those look great! When you installed them on the front, do the DRC 602's have a wire to setup the DRL? If not, how did you setup the DRL for the front signals?    

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

Those look great! When you installed them on the front, do the DRC 602's have a wire to setup the DRL? If not, how did you setup the DRL for the front signals?   
They are a two wire light, but you can use the Custom LED blinker genie and it will give you the DRL function too

Archived