The MT-07 Forum

What's best way to remove/replace grips?

dewski

I recently purchase some new grips that I am hoping will cut down on the vibration a bit and better fit my hands.  I would like to keep the stock grips if possible since they are still in great condition.   What is the best way to remove the stock grips without damaging them and then what's the best way to install the new ones properly so they are set and don't twist on the bar?

I asked my local yamaha parts counter and the kid there just said to cut off the old ones and then use "grip glue" for the new ones. There must be a better way.   And no I don't have access to a compressor.

Windex and a long skinny flatblade screwdriver, just be patient and work your way around. To get em to stick I use alcohol, pour it in and slosh it around inside and it'll help them slide on and when it dries it's not going anywhere.

There are instructional videos on you tube for this task. I tried using the compressed air method but that didn't work well for me so I tried another method of using a screwdriver and some WD40. It's real easy, don't sweat it.

[video src=https://youtu.be/UjRNcoqhsCs]

Beemer

Small Long screw driver through the top of the grip, spray Wd-40 in there and work the grip back and forth. It'll slide right off.

• Premium Member

If you don't want to retain the old grips, a box cutter. If you do, compressed air is the way to go IMHO.

I've had the best luck with electrical contact cleaner. It makes fast work of grip glue (adhesive) and makes it gum up like rubber cement so it's easy to remove. Just use the straw on the can to spray a little in the end of the grip then twist until that portion moves freely. Then push the straw a little further in and spray some more. Repeat the twisting process and work your way in. The contact cleaner evaporates quickly which is nice. Using this method every grip I've removed has been completely reusable if I so desired.

suspiciouspackage

I took the long end of t-handle allen screwdriver (really skinny one, of course) and just worked my way around the grip till everything was loose. Then I just started sliding it off. Took some effort, but I'd rather not pay someone or get a compressed air tank just for that.

thanks guys....will tackle that today. anxious to ride with some larger grips that will hopefully give me less hand fatigue and take some of the vibration out

used the screwdriver and wd-40 method....worked super easy and well. Then used the alcohol method @red93093 suggested to put the new ones on....worked perfect! Put them on late last night and by this morning, they were super tight with no give/spin. New grips are SUCH an improvement over the stock!
Best $10 spend on the bike :D

I went with the ProGrip 714 that @marthy had suggested...they are great!

Archived