The MT-07 Forum

Vibration and white smoke after lowside

truthiness

truthiness

So I'm taking the bike to the dealer today, but I wanted to field opinions from those with more experience than I.  Lowsided my bike at about 15 mph yesterday evening after running over some tiny gravel that was all over the road while cornering.  Looking at the bike this morning, it seems that the frame slider, kickstand foot, and left side plastic took all the energy of the fall/slide.  Upon starting the motor I discovered it is noisier and vibey-er than before, and when I give it gas there is white smoke from the exhaust.  Also, there is a smell of unburnt gas.  Basically, I am worried that since the frame slider bolts into the motor it may have caused a bit of damage.  Thoughts?

• Premium Member

How long did you let it run with the smoking/vibration issue? Just looking to clarify it if could be a temporary thing or if you ran it for several minutes and it did not get any better.

truthiness

I let it get up to temperature just now, and the smoking is gone but there is still a strong smell (maybe fuel?) and the exhaust sounds louder. Maybe it's me being paranoid? I'm still going to have the dealer do a diagnostic on it.

• Premium Member

Might just be paranoid, I dropped mine at a slow speed the first week I had it. Your most likely fine, the bolts in the block if they get bent are not going to hurt the internals of the engine, ( well highly unlikely). Something might have come loose who knows but take it in for piece of mind.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

truthiness

So I went back to the spot of my lowside, and discovered why we must be extra careful at dusk hours/nighttime...

http://i.imgur.com/BEnpI3A.jpg

Holy crap, no wonder it went down so quickly!

Edit: @hippiebikerchick - I fixed the pic

bmwpowere36m3
So I went back to the spot of my lowside, and discovered why we must be extra careful at dusk hours/nighttime... 

http://i.imgur.com/urzhLix.jpg

Holy crap, no wonder it went down so quickly!

That was on the road? Holy moly... It's COVERED in gravel.

truthiness

That was on the road? Holy moly... It's COVERED in gravel.
Yep.  It's a big open area, not a public road however.  With limited visibility I didn't even see it, and honestly wasn't looking for it as I didn't expect anything like that to be present.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I hope your bike turns out ok or easily repaired. I can't see the picture you posted.
Do you have OES sliders on your bike?

Worse case scenario your bike is now a Harley.  :-/

Illegitimi non carborundum

truthiness

So it is acting completely normal and the service guy says he doesn't see anything wrong with it. I suppose my mind went into overdrive regarding possible damages. Everything feels normal and the Ohlins shock is as smooth as butter...now, to get the forks sorted and get the cartridges in there.

bmwpowere36m3

White smoke was probably just condensation... i.e., normal when the engine is cold. Engines do weird things when they tipped over while running. Usually things settle out within a minute or two of running. The FZ-07 is FI'd, but carburated bikes will run rough when started back up... usually the engine is flooded to an extent post tip over.

White smoke was probably just condensation... i.e., normal when the engine is cold. Engines do weird things when they tipped over while running. Usually things settle out within a minute or two of running. The FZ-07 is FI'd, but carburated bikes will run rough when started back up... usually the engine is flooded to an extent post tip over.
This bike has a tip-over sensor that will/should shut the motor off immediately when it's on its side. Think it's under the seat behind the battery. My Aprilia also has one - it's located inside the fairing behind the dash.  
Worse than having a carb on its side, having a motor run with the oil pickup facing sideways is always gonna be bad. I think a fuel injected bike will run just fine on its side if there's enough fuel in the tank - but it might not have any oil pressure. 

The gas smell could have just been fuel leaking out thru the tank's vent hose. 

good to hear all's well, except for some patina. 

Archived