The MT-07 Forum

Passed MSF and talked to a Harley rider

cavedog

Passed the MSF course last Sunday so I can get my license endorsed now.  After that I went for a cruise and ended up grabbing lunch at Jimmy John's.  I parked next to a blacked out street glide.  The owner noticed my helmet at the table I was eating at outside and came to chat.  He was a pretty cool guy, talked to him for about 1/2 hour.  He really liked my bike, said it reminded him of a Buell he used to own, and missed.

There is the odd hardley rider around that does not have his nose in the air. Glad you found one because they are rare in my neck of the woods. They are even more uppity in groups.

Wow

I think what saved you is the fact that this owner was a previous Buell owner and that taught him respect for good bikes.

Sounds like he was the opposite of most HD riders. I was really expecting this thread to go in a totally different direction.

bmwpowere36m3
I know alot of really nice HD owners actually. They buy into the brand, not so much motorcycles in general, but some of those guys can really ride. Not many of them, but some.
I agree… but the same can be said for other brands/bikers as well.  Look at all the "squids" on Gixxers or Hayabusas…

mounties2591

Every single person I ride with has a Harley. Whenever I had my ninja 250r I couldn't keep up and ended up getting a sportster 1200 (YES LOUD PIPES AND ALL!!). It wasn't long before I wanted back on a sport bike again and got the FZ07 and I love it! They crack jokes at how quiet it is but overall respect my choice. Though my new Yoshi pipe changed that :)

There is the odd hardley rider around that does not have his nose in the air. Glad you found one because they are rare in my neck of the woods. They are even more uppity in groups.
Same in my neck, they see me coming ... they look the other way. I don't need uppity friends so forget their ignorant type. To be honest, not all H.D. riders are like that , though. I've talked to some H.D. riders and they admitted (the non ignorant Harley riders) they vibrate/leak oil, handle shetty but they love them anyway. I guess it's kinda like how when someone gets their first puppy that's butt ugly and pisses on everything, they get hooked on butt ugly dogs for life. 

Beemer

Same in my neck, they see me coming ... they look the other way. I don't need uppity friends so forget their ignorant type. To be honest, not all H.D. riders are like that , though. I've talked to some H.D. riders and they admitted (the non ignorant Harley riders) they vibrate/leak oil, handle shetty but they love them anyway. I guess it's kinda like how when someone gets their first puppy that's butt ugly and pisses on everything, they get hooked on butt ugly dogs for life. 
What pisses me off is when I see a group of Harley riders that only wave to other Harley riders.  Like.. fuck you, you elitist prick.  Anyway, most of the people I ride with have Harleys too.  It's nice to know they aren't all jerks.  I actually feel kinda bad for them, one of my best friends rides a 2014 soft tail slim and he complains about how negative the typical Harley image is.

cavedog

I imagine most of the stuck ups are long time, hard core H.D. loyalists that are simply going to hate anything foreign. I have a friend that's that way with Chevy's, even though they took him for $1,400 on a brake job when he only needed a brake pedal return spring for a few bucks. Then he bought a new Chevy after that - can you believe that?!! I almost slapped dat boy!  >:D

Beemer

cavedog 
I imagine most of the stuck ups are long time, hard core H.D. loyalists that are simply going to hate anything foreign. I have a friend that's that way with Chevy's, even though they took him for $1,400 on a brake job when he only needed a brake pedal return spring for a few bucks. Then he bought a new Chevy after that - can you believe that?!! I almost slapped dat boy!  >:D
haha, yea I know how it is.  I like Chevy's too, but prefer Toyota if I'm going to buy a vehicle.  My wife's grandmother HATES anything Japanese, specifically Toyota, and ironically Toyota has (I think) the most American-made vehicle currently.  source 
Picture to prove I don't hate Chevy's :P  Also, my 2x8 redneck ramp that I am 100% unashamed of haha.

http://i.imgur.com/Spehut4.jpg

• Global Moderator

first bike was a sportster 1200, I must've been lucky, the guys i rode with were all old school bikers and completely opposite the Harley stereotype.
never could get my head around buying a bike for 10-15k, spending a few grand more to make it louder, heavier, and shinier, but not faster. probably why i sold mine and bought a Buell.
anyway, soap-box is gone.

there are those that break the mold, but Harley riders are too damn prissy. especially those in Scottsdale.

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

cavedog Some just can't let go of the old hatred that started in the 70's. Hey, if that ramp works, so be it. Although I think a ramp made of flattened Budweiser cans would attract more rednecks ... (they likes shiny thangs) Have you thought about hanging a small chandelier over your bed to light it up at night. Now that would please the most extravagant urban/ghetto redneck.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I can understand back in the day, veterans come back from the Pacific theater and don't want to see a Japanese anything. Not a lot of Japanese bikes until the early to mid 60's. But then..

Before HD had any idea wtf was going on, they lost the market share very quick in a long dominated HD scene by the late 60's. Back then there was a definitive difference between the personalities of most folks buying a 250cc ujm and the hardcore, 74 ci machines.

Anyway, HD is pretty smart in their modern marketing strategies. The bike itself is 2nd to the corporate selling of a "brand and lifestyle". Clearly, it has worked well.

Everything went braap.

cavedog Some just can't let go of the old hatred that started in the 70's. Hey, if that ramp works, so be it. Although I think a ramp made of flattened Budweiser cans would attract more rednecks ... (they likes shiny thangs) Have you thought about hanging a small chandelier over your bed to light it up at night. Now that would please the most extravagant urban/ghetto redneck.
I'm a bit of a redneck myself :)

I think everyone has a bit in them, some just don't know it or won't admit it. I like beer, mudding, tree riding, crawdad fights and blue jean shorts on my women. (Daisy Duke  ::))

Beemer

• Global Moderator
I think everyone has a bit in them, some just don't know it or won't admit it. I like beer, mudding, tree riding, crawdad fights and blue jean shorts on my women. (Daisy Duke  ::))
cant say i have much if any red-neck in me. i prefer high quality liquor over beer, flying/hang gliding over mudding(if this is what i believe it is), and Über-short silk skirts on my women.  
tree riding and crawdad fights? what are these?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

cant say i have much if any red-neck in me. i prefer high quality liquor over beer, flying/hang gliding over mudding(if this is what i believe it is), and Über-short silk skirts on my women.  
tree riding and crawdad fights? what are these?
Don't get me wrong, my tastes run wide and far. I like beer AND an assortment of fine liquors. I once dated a girl that loved to wear leather mini skirts and I loved her taste in clothes. As for the tree climbing and crawdad fighting it's just something you do when you are slightly inebriated and in the woods camping where you have to be creative to have fun. It's not a well known thing to do, the tree riding, because some friends and I thought of it one bleary night so it never became a nationwide thing. You find a small tree a few inches thick at the base and you climb up it until it starts bending,  which is usually near the top about 20 ft. up. Then you let go with your feet and the tree bends all the way to the ground (if it doesn't snap first) and that's tree riding. Crawdad fighting, you just take two crawdads, put them in a small dug out hole and bet on which one will win a fight. They usually grab each other with their claws and one usually dominates so there you have it. If you've done anything like that then YOU MAY be a redneck, ha!

Beemer

It's funny, as a Buell owner, and now, that I bought back my 2006 Buell, I have been even more on the bad end of the HD superiority stain.

I guess it's time for me to re-post my rant from another post
I am very over HD. To me, HD riders are the hipster dbags of the motorcycle world.
Of course there are exceptions, but most are so blinded by brand loyalty that they stupidly over pay for outdated tech and anything that is badged HD. It always cracks me up how they cant go anywhere without wearing at least one piece of clothing that has HD on it.
Kudos for HD for exploiting these idiots and making a crapload of money but i swear cultists are less brain washed.

My response to buy a mur kin
Is
Chrome don't get you home

Archived