The MT-07 Forum

2007 R1

jake

• Premium Member

So I went to get a gal of oil for the FZ and this  caught my attention .....

http://www.vmsgrandrapids.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1314234&p=1&make=yamaha&vc=sport&s=Year&d=D&i=%2Fimglib%2Ftrimsdb%2F2798751-0-9129871.png&t=preowned&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

I was thinking the other day about an exhaust for the FZ and now I'm like dam I could trade in the FZ for something to kill myself on instead.  I can't help but be drawn to a bike like this someone knock some sense into me ....

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Seems to be in good condition, fairly low miles but hard miles??? It's what you can't see that worries me. With a bike like that it may have had the piss rode out of it. I would test ride it hard and see how it behaves or have a mechanic check it out and why are you in a hurry to die? I like good looking women but I don't want STD's.

Beemer

You can kill yourself just the same on an FZ.

The only difference is that when you smash into something doing 120 on the FZ, they will be more likely to identify individual parts.

When you pulverize yourself on something doing 150 on the R1, they will simply need ziplock bags and maybe a bottle of windex to clean you off of the tarmac.

Dude, bikes only go as fast as you make them go. If an R1 makes your pee pee hard and you want to give it a whirl, go and give it a darned whirl.

Only 10K miles means it was a garage queen. It's also at least $1000 high. Definitely check what insurance would cost. Comprehensive will probably make your eyes bleed but without it, probably reasonable.

There is much wisdom in the truism: It's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. Also, consider the non-trivial matter of ergonomics.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
There is much wisdom in the truism: It's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.
This. ^   
Some of my most fond memories are of dragging a knee on a Yamaha TW-200, fat-azz tires and all.

2012_Yamaha_TW_200._V139113364_.jpg

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Speeding tickets just waiting to happen.

Insurance cost will undoubtedly be much higher than FZ07.

Paying ~2x as much for gas.

Track day bike.

• Premium Member

Funny this should come up...

I was in my dealer Sat and they had just got a 2006 R1 special edition...yep, the yellow one in anniversary colors. Had the original brochure, and special tool set where every socket was engraved with the R1 logo.

Bike was all original with a fender eliminator as the only non OEM part.

Bike had 2,000 miles on it and looks brand new. I think they want like 8,900 for it.

I think it was like [HASH]357 out of 500.

Almost bought it on the spot but decided to pass because I wouldn't feel right taking it on the track. If I wreck it, I'm sure replacement bodywork would be impossible to find, and if I put race plastics on it, it defeats the purpose of having an all original special edition :(

- Paulie

• Premium Member

Insurance would only be $1 more per mont, over the FZ

So I went to get a gal of oil for the FZ and this  caught my attention .....  

http://www.vmsgrandrapids.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1314234&p=1&make=yamaha&vc=sport&s=Year&d=D&i=%2Fimglib%2Ftrimsdb%2F2798751-0-9129871.png&t=preowned&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

I was thinking the other day about an exhaust for the FZ and now I'm like dam I could trade in the FZ for something to kill myself on instead.  I can't help but be drawn to a bike like this someone knock some sense into me ....

R-1's are fun bikes and built pretty darn well. Alot depends, of course, on who owned the bike and how they maintained it. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and looks for signs of abuse.

It's up to you how fast it goes. But for street use, the R-6 is a much better choice for a full on sportbike because you will hardly ever get to use anywhere near the full power of an R-1 on the street.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
BS! I'm 41 years old with a spotless record, and my insurance through State Farm went up $30 a month from a Striple to the FZ07 and they're both 700s. But because the FZ is considered a sport bike and the Striple is not (unreal logic right there), it costs more. I looked into an R6 and the insurance goes up another $300 a year for that. When I bought my bike, I noticed there weren't a lot of sport bikes and the guy told me they don't sell as many as they used to because the insurance is so damned high. When I had my R6 back in '03, it wasn't bad at all; like $200 a year. Now it's over $600 a year for the same bike. An R1....I don't even want to think of what the insurance would cost on that thing. Sexy bike, for sure, but not worth the money when I'd almost never see the top end anyway. 

• Premium Member

I just read a review on what you guys are talking about. Its has so much power that the average guy will never use it and its hard to have fun on it at lower rpm's. what the review said is going for a ride at 60mph with some curves is dismal at best, you need to be going over a 100 to have fun lol.
Hits 100 mph in first gear lol. 35 mpg also. CORRECTION 40 to 56 mpg

I have ridden the Buell to work many time and road it today as a matter of fact so I know I could use the R1 as a daily. Crap I don't know I want to have a bunch of different bike in my garage now

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Lol, I told my fiancé the same thing the other night. If I had a lot of money, I'd buy a modest house with an enormous garage for motorcycles. Screw cars.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
This insurance stuff is just madness!

• Premium Member
phicurious86
100 in 1st gear seems awful to me for a street bike. I read that as "Well I guess I'll be using 2 gears for most of my surface street riding, or I'll use all the gears and wind up with a ticket for speeding." Now on a track I bet that kind of power would be really fun to utilize, but track days are not cheap.

Where are you getting the MPG numbers? The 35 seems accurate (at least looking at Fuelly). 40 seems doable if you aren't too throttle happy, but 56mpg seems like a major outlier.

• Premium Member
100 in 1st gear seems awful to me for a street bike. I read that as "Well I guess I'll be using 2 gears for most of my surface street riding, or I'll use all the gears and wind up with a ticket for speeding." Now on a track I bet that kind of power would be really fun to utilize, but track days are not cheap.  
Where are you getting the MPG numbers? The 35 seems accurate (at least looking at Fuelly). 40 seems doable if you aren't too throttle happy, but 56mpg seems like a major outlier.

I found it on a review and now I can't find that same review but it said on the track it get 30's and taking it easy on the highway it gets 40 up to 56. But I do see a guy getting 50 mpg on Fuelly. So I'd get like 30 lol. 

Just because it can do 100 in 1st gear doesnt mean you have to do 100 in first gear.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Just because it can do 100 in 1st gear doesnt mean you have to do 100 in first gear.
Oh absolutely, but with that kind of temptation? I imagine most people aren't buying a liter bike just to think about the power.

Oh absolutely, but with that kind of temptation? I imagine most people aren't buying a liter bike just to think about the power.
Actually,  for me, that is a debatable point. 
Having the potential to go 150 mph is a mental masturbation exercise that feels oh so good.  It doesnt mean you HAVE to but its nice to know its on tap should you want to unleash hell. :P

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I only used the 165mph top speed of my R6 twice, but as the bike really WANTED to go that fast all the time, it sure did hit 80 in a hurry, and that was good enough. The FZ-07 is fun, but it just doesn't have that same raw feeling of power of the inline 3 in an R6 or R1. At my age, though, I don't think I need to be on something that I am guaranteed to abuse, lol.

• Premium Member
I only used the 165mph top speed of my R6 twice, but as the bike really WANTED to go that fast all the time, it sure did hit 80 in a hurry, and that was good enough. The FZ-07 is fun, but it just doesn't have that same raw feeling of power of the inline 3 in an R6 or R1. At my age, though, I don't think I need to be on something that I am guaranteed to abuse, lol.
Ya see, and it was the opposite for me.  I got a chance to take a new R1 on the track, and it was downright boring at low speeds.  My FZ-07 'felt' much more powerful, even tho the speedo tells a different story, lol. 
I think you get a better sense of speed at lower speeds with a naked, due to the lack of wind protection, etc.

Having said that, I STILL want an R1, and will most likely get a 2016 model in the spring :)

- Paulie

• Premium Member

I have owned a 600 rocket before and will never own one again...if I was to get a track bike I would get the fz-09...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I have owned a 600 rocket before and will never own one again...if I was to get a track bike I would get the fz-09...
Why?

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

If I ever get another rocket, it will be a 600. I see no need for anything bigger on the street. No tracks around me here in Minneapolis. Brainerd is closest and that's still hours away.

• Premium Member

The handling of the fz to me is far better than the top heavy feeling I get from a rocket which makes me feel like I gotta turn early compared to the fz which I feel I can Turn the bike whenever I want even mid corner... I like the body position of the fz...I love the weight/balance of the fz...the only rocket I will get is a used hayabusa for the 1/4 mile...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the input .. I was going to go in today and see what I could get for trade in on the FZ, and on the way into work I was thinking why the hell would I want anything different for a daily.

But I still want a fast bike so I'll just have to wait, I think.

Archived